• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PEEEEEEPS!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I appreciate it. I'm just mad about it because they did so well for long enough that I thought we were out of the woods. Usually it's when they're wee-little that one passes.

A heat lamp during the day, a heat mat at night. Both are thermostat controlled. I don't think it was a heat issue, given that the rest are perfectly fine :(
Any huddles with possible suffocation?

I'm sorry..and I don't think you did anything wrong. Any deaths just make me want to think of all angels . It's good news you haven't seen symptoms. I want see all those cuties full grown .

How many weeks old are they ?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I'm so sorry to hear :(

Please don't beat yourself up about it though. Sometimes deaths are caused by bad genetics.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
A sudden death with no symptoms means there's practically no way you can pin point it.
Just double check you temps, food etc and keep doing what you're doing :bluhug:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Any huddles with possible suffocation?

I'm sorry..and I don't think you did anything wrong. Any deaths just make me want to think of all angels . It's good news you haven't seen symptoms. I want see all those cuties full grown .

How many weeks old are they ?
Huddle, like when they huddle up together? I guess that's possible - but wouldn't the one suffocating struggle and make the others move?

They're 4 weeks now - so close to being "real" chickens lol. They grow so freaking quick!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Huddle, like when they huddle up together? I guess that's possible - but wouldn't the one suffocating struggle and make the others move?

They're 4 weeks now - so close to being "real" chickens lol. They grow so freaking quick!
It's just something that kept coming up as reason for sudden unexplained death in the articles I read. I read several to see if anything more helpful . Zero little chick actual experience!

I've a pile of tiny foster kittens, thst thankfully I discovered the suffocating one in time by chance....it was blue but I was able to resuscitate it. Edit . For rescue , rubbing body head down , gentle cover mouth rescue breaths. And yes I had let them get to cold ..to much room moved from heat source.

But I've so wanted chickens! I've even read chicken forums in the past , because I really want them. But for my life ( life complications) I could see it wasn't possible. Now thank goodness one of my very good friends got chicks earlier in the year. So yay! Fresh eggs no work!! ...

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Oh , and definitely not saying that's what happened! Because I don't know.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
No use beating yourself up! Only one died- it happens sometimes no matter how well you care for them, given the others are fine I’d be assuming it was out of your control.
Take it easy on yourself! :sadhug:
Failure to thrive is very much a thing, could be anything from health to genetics.
Yeah I totally agree here. Unfortunately I think it the nature of the beast when dealing with baby animals. Even the most ethical breeders I know can still run into trouble, with stillborns or genetic problems after birth. And sometimes people lose animals due mechanical problems with equipment like heaters too. My point being sometimes you can do everything right a still lose an animal, sadly. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I'm sorry you lose one I hope the rest thrive :heart:

They are so cute! I can't to see more pictures of them. And how their personalities will develop :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is lovely to see them grow. I am very sorry you lost one. I am sure they will mature into well adjusted individuals. I was also happy to see that you gave them a chance to experience outdoors as little ones. :heart2:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Babies! :cloud9:

I was getting close to asking where all the pics were, can't have chickies and not share them!!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Babies! :cloud9:

I was getting close to asking where all the pics were, can't have chickies and not share them!!
It's been raining and chilly so much lately, they've been relegated to the porch and haven't been able to get out any. But they're getting big enough now, they're just about ready for full time outdoors! I'm also a little paranoid about predators :o: I reinforced the coop area, but they're just babies:arghh:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ok how big and active!!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue