• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PEEEEEEPS!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It begins :yahoo:

To answer the incoming questions:

No, this is not their permanent set up. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong this morning.

Yes, that is paper towel. The wood shavings had mold.

Yes, the paper towel got wet. Chick waterers are the bane of my existence. It's been changed.

Yes, the chick feed is on a plate. I broke the feeder thingy.

Yes, they have a heat lamp. I had it off for the pics because it made the color weird. There's also a heat mat (on a thermostat, don't worry) for nighttime.

I just wanted to share pics after having to stand in the farm store for an hour and a half trying to get chicks :shifty: apparently it's a popular idea this spring.

Anyway - Pics! I'm off to get a new feeder and a new pack of shavings.

Attachments

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I got two black marans, two black sexlinks, two crele penedesenca, aaaaaaaand two guineas. The guineas were not planned. But we have a tick problem and I understand they're great about eating ticks so fingers crossed.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations on your spring peeps!!

Cuteness,!!

I would love chickens...but I'm just not able to care for them ...sbd the,$$$ to keep them safe and healthy.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Congratulations on your spring peeps!!

Cuteness,!!

I would love chickens...but I'm just not able to care for them ...sbd the,$$$ to keep them safe and healthy.
Yeah, this has been a savings plan. We worked out what it would cost keeping chickens vs what we spend on eggs and in the long run chickens are actually cheaper for us. It's a big up front cost, which sucks, but long term is good lol. And I aimed for all good layers (minus the guineas)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yeah, this has been a savings plan. We worked out what it would cost keeping chickens vs what we spend on eggs and in the long run chickens are actually cheaper for us. It's a big up front cost, which sucks, but long term is good lol. And I aimed for all good layers (minus the guineas)
Oh I love fresh eggs! The difference is outta this world!!!

I'm jealous! I would love to! It's just my personal life and stuff that it would just be to hard for me.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
One of my best friends just recently got chickens ( as little babies! ) They grown up now , so fast! But still tonesely fir her to have eggs. I'm in the short list to get some ! Very excited!

She is doing ba garden for them as well to feed lots of home grown freshness!

They have so much personality. She making toys and swings for them. Really loves finally having them

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I love fresh eggs too. Echo's vet has chickens and we sometimes get eggs from her.
I got two black marans, two black sexlinks, two crele penedesenca, aaaaaaaand two guineas. The guineas were not planned. But we have a tick problem and I understand they're great about eating ticks so fingers crossed.
I heard that about guineas too. Let's us know how it goes! I'm definitely looking forward to all the pictures of them growing up :swoon:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wonder if the price increase of eggs has pushed more folks into buying chickens instead...

I don't eat eggs so I don't know the difference with fresh eggs, but itś nice to see that your eggs come from happy healthy birds. My mum buys eggs from a farm down the road from her house, a little girl sells them :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
The difference between fresh and grocery store eggs really is just insane - not just the yolk color, but the texture of the whites is crazy different too. I remember the first time I ever cracked open a farm egg, I was absolutely flummoxed :roflmao:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations!! I love chickens.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Now I gotta name them all! I don't know how to tell the black ones apart though, the two marans look identical. Maybe just "twin" names, like Eggplant and Aubergine :rofl:

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Awww. They are so cute. We love our chickens and absolutely LOVE the fresh eggs. Of course it's feast or famine with the eggs. I have about 6 dozen eggs right now but sometimes in the winter I have to ration eggs. No babies likely this year as we had them last year and don't need any more right now. The water gets better after awhile when they gain a little more control. They grow fast so I hope you have your coop set up. They are addictive. We started with just a couple and now have about 17.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I just wanted to share pics after having to stand in the farm store for an hour and a half trying to get chicks :shifty: apparently it's a popular idea this spring.
:coffeescreen:I probably should have warned you :roflmao:
You're actually lucky to get the chicks, apparently places in the US are selling out of chicks, fast!

Excluding the sexlinked of course, are they all sexed or straight run?
:cngrt5:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Awww. They are so cute. We love our chickens and absolutely LOVE the fresh eggs. Of course it's feast or famine with the eggs. I have about 6 dozen eggs right now but sometimes in the winter I have to ration eggs. No babies likely this year as we had them last year and don't need any more right now. The water gets better after awhile when they gain a little more control. They grow fast so I hope you have your coop set up. They are addictive. We started with just a couple and now have about 17.
Got the coop and fencing all set up and ready! And I can't get too many more, I'm in city limits so I can't have more than 12 :roflmao:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aah they are so cute!!! Can't wait to see more pics as they grow up.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
:coffeescreen:I probably should have warned you :roflmao:
You're actually lucky to get the chicks, apparently places in the US are selling out of chicks, fast!

Excluding the sexlinked of course, are they all sexed or straight run?
:cngrt5:
I knew it was a big thing for a lot of people this year, but I wasn't prepared for the madhouse this morning! I grabbed coffee and figured I'd swing by the farm store to see if they had any, and I got there literally as the truck arrived and ended up being 5th or 6th in line. By the time they unloaded the line was at least 50 people deep :scared2: the people in front of me bought 20 americauna chicks and after that they had to limit people to the number of each breed they could get. It was absolutely insane!

They're all sexed (with a guaranteed 90% correctness on sexing, so... I'm hoping out of 8 chicks I have a decent chance!)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really wish I had a bigger tub that I could sit in with them because I just want to snuggle the fluffies :swoon:
I'd never leave them alone! I've raised many chickens and Guineas in my time(for my boss) and I loved sitting among them and getting baby snuggles.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
They're all sexed (with a guaranteed 90% correctness on sexing, so... I'm hoping out of 8 chicks I have a decent chance!)
The BSL (black sexlinks) should absolutely be girls, you'd have to be not very smart to mess that up! When I searched up the crele penedesenca they appear to be auto sexing, so should also be girls too :)
You're chances are pretty high! Have fun with your babies!!