• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pedi-Perches

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I do mine like this. It is could be the best thing ever for nails for me. A couple of take offs from this and the nails are done. This is aluminum oxide which is not preferable, I would get garnet, flint or silicon carbide, but really, it is abrasive material after all and there is not much difference in my opinion. And probably the finest grit for Preeno which should be around 300 - 400. I use 180 for my African Gray. Astro hated perching on it at the beginning and would just fly off when we came near, you might need to work with treats. Also for those who want to take this sanpaper chair advice, don't let your bird chew on the material... :wacky:
I already have a chair perch hence this sounds like a great idea! It's seen us through all his command trainings... would it help with nails now?! o_O

Thanks! I'm gonna look for some sandpaper!

clarousel

I do mine like this. It is could be the best thing ever for nails for me. A couple of take offs from this and the nails are done. This is aluminum oxide which is not preferable, I would get garnet, flint or silicon carbide, but really, it is abrasive material after all and there is not much difference in my opinion. And probably the finest grit for Preeno which should be around 300 - 400. I use 180 for my African Gray. Astro hated perching on it at the beginning and would just fly off when we came near, you might need to work with treats. Also for those who want to take this sanpaper chair advice, don't let your bird chew on the material... :wacky:
lovely living room btw! Forgot to mention in my post :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK @Zara I'm sold. I got the pedi perches from Chewy. I ordered 1 XS and 2 S. The X Small is blue, the Smalls are green, yay, and flesh, lol. I put the green one in and we will see what she thinks. I put it where a perch has not been and we will see if she fly/hops from it onto the other 2. As she gets used to it, I can reconsider the position. I just don't want to start by replacing one of her faves.

1596821469416.jpeg 1596821434312.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Lookin´ good. You don´t need three though, one will do the job :)

:lol: That mauve perch - yikes - we should all write in and request they make it orange or something :lol:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:think1:
IMG_20200807_194119.jpg
(yes I see Nube looking pretty thicc, that's his sleep body :lol: )
IMG_20200807_193707.jpg

I'll give the cage a shuffle later on. For now I'll let them sleep...

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lookin´ good. You don´t need three though, one will do the job :)
Yes, I will only use one at a time. :) I wasn't certain of size, XS or S, but I was thinking S was a better bet, so I bought 2 of them, so I can wash and exchange as needed. I might also use the XS in her cage. I like how short it is! It will fit anywhere! I need to switch things up often to keep Gigi from getting any more cage territorial than she already is!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I went to look up the living world one on Amazon and the top review made me snort. :laughin:

View attachment 349076
Glad they took it out, they had put it upside down! :rolleyes:
:lol:

But FRT if anyone has this problem, condition the bird to it as you would a new toy ;)

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Has anyone tried any clippers and had success? I tried to use the set that Gus’s previous owner gave me. They’re dog nail clippers and they’re too big and I felt clumsy and terrified when I tried to use them to nip the nail tips. I had minimal success and two stressed birds...not the intent. We haven’t been to the vet since covid lockdown. I also tried a nail “drimmel” like tool. Again, clumsy and I feared I would injure my birds. I have a first aid kit, but don’t want to be the reason I have to use it. Suggestions would be more than welcome.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
None of my other birds were OK with getting their nails trimmed so I would wait till they were hanging on the side of the cage and snip off the longest nail quickly before they scampered away. If I could safely hold them in place I'd grab em and snip it off quickly. I did over do Nerds nail once and I just dipped his toe in flour and that stopped the minor bleeding right away. It's really hard to see the vein with a black toenail. I usually try not to snip off too much at once to be safe.
I don't have to do it with Dobby has he keeps wearing them down with the various pedi perches he likes.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Has anyone tried any clippers and had success? I tried to use the set that Gus’s previous owner gave me. They’re dog nail clippers and they’re too big and I felt clumsy and terrified when I tried to use them to nip the nail tips. I had minimal success and two stressed birds...not the intent. We haven’t been to the vet since covid lockdown. I also tried a nail “drimmel” like tool. Again, clumsy and I feared I would injure my birds. I have a first aid kit, but don’t want to be the reason I have to use it. Suggestions would be more than welcome.
Can you post a picture of their nails so we can see just how long they are?

Sometimes a nail isn't long, it's just long looking. The pedi perches truly do help keep the tips in good shape.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just received two of these perches for my budgie boys! They thought I was trying to kill them when I put them in the cage, lol! I targeted them to start using them in their travels about the cage...and I have already noticed a difference in the pointiness of their claws in the 4 days they've been installed :)