• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pedi-Perches

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Mini is happy because now she got a pedicure!:heart: She wants to know when she gets a complete spa day full of pampering followed by good food like eggs.:lol:
:rofl: Gosh, that’s a narrative straight out of the princess’s head.

Tomorrow is scrambles day, don’t let her hear you yet! I’ll be doomed. :backout:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bought a smaller perch, as I wasn't too happy with how their feet fit round the other one. Their nails only just fit round the smaller part, so I ordered the small. I put the old one on the outside of the cage, in a lesser-used area. Here's a size comparison, in case anyone is thinking of ordering one:

IMG_20200729_122041_1.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I bought a smaller perch, as I wasn't too happy with how their feet fit round the other one.
That medium size really is for Caiques, quakers etc. because smaller birds nails don´t reach the abbrasive part. I wish they did longer versions of the same girth, that would be nice.

clarousel

That medium size really is for Caiques, quakers etc. because smaller birds nails don´t reach the abbrasive part. I wish they did longer versions of the same girth, that would be nice.
Agreed! I've been using the pedi perch for training so Preeno actually uses it. I wish it were longer so I could make him walk from end to end :roflmao:

I think there is a US brand Polly Perches? But I'm not sure if it's the sand type or cement.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish they did longer versions of the same girth, that would be nice.
Me too! They both like to stand on the perch and get moody with each other if there's not enough room.

I put the perch in Jeff's prime flirting spot, so he'll be walking up and down it frequently enough. On the other hand he isn't there all the time so it's a good spot! Mabel's nails are already run rather well kept as we have natural branches and she never sits still! :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do we have pictures of what the bottoms of healthy bird feet should look like? I know I’ve seen pics somewhere before but I do not think it was on this site.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Do we have pictures of what the bottoms of healthy bird feet should look like? I know I’ve seen pics somewhere before but I do not think it was on this site.
We need a glass coffee table, a birb with healthy feet and a camera

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do we have pictures of what the bottoms of healthy bird feet should look like?
goodfoot.jpg

We need a glass coffee table, a birb with healthy feet and a camera
I love the pictures of rabbits etc like this :cloud9: I remember seeing someone post a lovebird one too :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As for nails and whether they need cut, here is how to check.

Place your bird on a flat surface (I use the table). The fleshy part of the foot must always sit flush with the table without the nails being pushed at an angle.

Nails are ok, do not need cut;
Screenshot_20191125_123534_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Nails need cut;
Screenshot_20191125_123231_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
It´s no secret that I am a huge fan of pedi-perches - but only certain ones. I just want to post a thread with some info, so that I can reference it in the future instead of posting the same info multiple times and missing important parts.
I stand by my pedi-perches, and only one of my birds ever had their nails cut (because she has a bad foot and can´t use the perch) - this is why I always recommend them, especially to those who have little birds as companions.

What is a Pedi-Perch?
A pedicure perch, usually cement, that files birds nails. They can also rub their beaks on the perch to file down their beaks. Because they are made of cement, they last a long time so you certainly get your moneys worth - just remember to wash them regularly with hot soapy water and allow to dry before replacing in the cage.

What important features should a Pedi-perch have?
It is important that the perch is not uniform (straight like a dowel), and that is has a smooth top edge. The smooth part lines up with our birds feet so that they do not get roughed up, the nails then touch the abrasive part.

How to use a pedi-perch?
It is important the smooth side faces up, and that the perch is not located up high being the highest perch in the cage.
Some people opt to put the pedi-perch on the cage door, or lower down. I put mine near swings and water bowls so that the birds hop on and hop off the perches. They won´t work as well if your bird just sits on the perch, you need some movement for the perch to be able to file. If you put the perch in, and it´s not working out (bird is sitting still on the perch or not stepping on it at all), then move it somewhere else.
It is important that you purchase the correct size for your bird.

Brands?
There are a few different brands that have these types of perch available.
I use Hagen, also known as Living World:
View attachment 345110 Pedi-perch

The brand Sweet Feet & Beak have two different ones, one is the same shape as the Hagen perch, the other is more a wonky branch shape:
View attachment 345109 Patented Safety perch
View attachment 345111 Patented Safety pumice perch

If there are other brands that make these types of perches, please post them below :)

Which size?

Hagen/Living world;
Extra small / mini, 11 cm (4 in) - Lovebirds, Budgies
Small, 16 cm (6 in) - Cockatiels
Medium, 20.5 cm (8 in) - Conures, Caiques
Large, 34 cm (13 in) - Small Cockatoo, Amazon, African Grey
Jumbo / XL, 35 cm (13.5 in) - Large Cockatoo, Macaw
*Note: Bird feet should wrap 2/3 around the perch and should not meet or overlap.*

Sweet Feet & Beak;
X-Small - Finches, Canaries, Small budgies, Lovebirds
Small - Conures, Lories, Cockatiels
Medium - Pionus, Small Cockatoos, Timneh Greys
Large - African Grey, Amazons
X-Large - Cockatoos, Macaws
Measurements in inches;
View attachment 345108

Where to buy them?
(There will be more places that sell them, these are just some links I have found)

USA;
Sweet Feet and Beak Comfort Grip Safety Perch for Bird Cages - Patented Pumice Perch for Birds to Keep Nails and Beaks in Top Condition - Safe, Non-Toxic, Easy to Install Bird Cage Accessories
Sweet Feet and Beak Safety Pumice Perch for Birds Features Real Pumice to Trim Nails and Beak and Promote Healthy Feet - Safe and Non-Toxic, for Bird Cages

UK;

Europe;

Canada;

Australia;

India;

Additional
Remember it is important to also offer natural branches of various sizes to help keep your birds feet and nails in good condition. And provide wooden toys to chew to help care for their beak.
Remember, they may not work for everyone, and it is also important to get that positioning right in the cage so that the bird uses it.

How to check if your birds nails need trimmed; click here

Please, feel free to post your experiences with pedicure perches, or any other info or input :)
Thanks about this information I actually got it from kazoo long time ago and I put on top of the perch is a bad thing that is there ? My Lucas use it most of the time he also sits there here and there but does not sleep there etc. I actually had a question what is the correct way to put in on ? I believe I put it correctly but I want to make sure if it is . Is late here already while I am writing this my Lucas is been sleeping already so I can't take a picture I will do it tomorrow and I hope you guys can help me with that.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Lucas2019

Your pedi perch should have the rough parts at the sides and the smooth part on the top where the birds feet will be. The rough part really should only have the nails on it not the feet.
The perch also should not be placed where your bird will use it all the time- you want it as the perch in front of the water dish or something like that. You want the bird to use it frequently but not use it as their main perch.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Agreed! I've been using the pedi perch for training so Preeno actually uses it. I wish it were longer so I could make him walk from end to end :roflmao:

I think there is a US brand Polly Perches? But I'm not sure if it's the sand type or cement.
I stick sandpaper on both sides on the top of a chair and make Astro walk from one end to another, or turn around on it. The top is left empty just like pedi perches so it also doesn't scratch the bottom of the foot.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
@Lucas2019

Your pedi perch should have the rough parts at the sides and the smooth part on the top where the birds feet will be. The rough part really should only have the nails on it not the feet.
The perch also should not be placed where your bird will use it all the time- you want it as the perch in front of the water dish or something like that. You want the bird to use it frequently but not use it as their main perch.
I think I have it right , and ok yeah he uses it but not as his regular perch

Attachments

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
I LOVE pedi perches as well. I have the living world premium in my bird’s cage and I sometimes put some veggies there for them to stay on it longer. I can’t tell if it is doing anything to my bird’s nails, but they just love it!

clarousel

I stick sandpaper on both sides on the top of a chair and make Astro walk from one end to another, or turn around on it. The top is left empty just like pedi perches so it also doesn't scratch the bottom of the foot.
I'm thinking of doing this! What kind of sandpaper should I get? There are different numbers for the coarseness and I am just clueless :wacky:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I'm thinking of doing this! What kind of sandpaper should I get? There are different numbers for the coarseness and I am just clueless :wacky:

I do mine like this. It is could be the best thing ever for nails for me. A couple of take offs from this and the nails are done. This is aluminum oxide which is not preferable, I would get garnet, flint or silicon carbide, but really, it is abrasive material after all and there is not much difference in my opinion. And probably the finest grit for Preeno which should be around 300 - 400. I use 180 for my African Gray. Astro hated perching on it at the beginning and would just fly off when we came near, you might need to work with treats. Also for those who want to take this sanpaper chair advice, don't let your bird chew on the material... :wacky:

Attachments