• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pedi-Perches

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It´s no secret that I am a huge fan of pedi-perches - but only certain ones. I just want to post a thread with some info, so that I can reference it in the future instead of posting the same info multiple times and missing important parts.
I stand by my pedi-perches, and only one of my birds ever had their nails cut (because she has a bad foot and can´t use the perch) - this is why I always recommend them, especially to those who have little birds as companions.

What is a Pedi-Perch?
A pedicure perch, usually cement, that files birds nails. They can also rub their beaks on the perch to file down their beaks. Because they are made of cement, they last a long time so you certainly get your moneys worth - just remember to wash them regularly with hot soapy water and allow to dry before replacing in the cage.

What important features should a Pedi-perch have?
It is important that the perch is not uniform (straight like a dowel), and that is has a smooth top edge. The smooth part lines up with our birds feet so that they do not get roughed up, the nails then touch the abrasive part.

How to use a pedi-perch?
It is important the smooth side faces up, and that the perch is not located up high being the highest perch in the cage.
Some people opt to put the pedi-perch on the cage door, or lower down. I put mine near swings and water bowls so that the birds hop on and hop off the perches. They won´t work as well if your bird just sits on the perch, you need some movement for the perch to be able to file. If you put the perch in, and it´s not working out (bird is sitting still on the perch or not stepping on it at all), then move it somewhere else.
It is important that you purchase the correct size for your bird.

Brands?
There are a few different brands that have these types of perch available.
I use Hagen, also known as Living World:
hag.jpg Pedi-perch

The brand Sweet Feet & Beak have two different ones, one is the same shape as the Hagen perch, the other is more a wonky branch shape:
swf.png Patented Safety perch
pd.jpg Patented Safety pumice perch

If there are other brands that make these types of perches, please post them below :)

Which size?

Hagen/Living world;
Extra small / mini, 11 cm (4 in) - Lovebirds, Budgies
Small, 16 cm (6 in) - Cockatiels
Medium, 20.5 cm (8 in) - Conures, Caiques
Large, 34 cm (13 in) - Small Cockatoo, Amazon, African Grey
Jumbo / XL, 35 cm (13.5 in) - Large Cockatoo, Macaw
*Note: Bird feet should wrap 2/3 around the perch and should not meet or overlap.*

Sweet Feet & Beak;
X-Small - Finches, Canaries, Small budgies, Lovebirds
Small - Conures, Lories, Cockatiels
Medium - Pionus, Small Cockatoos, Timneh Greys
Large - African Grey, Amazons
X-Large - Cockatoos, Macaws
Measurements in inches;
sweetsize.jpg

Where to buy them?
(There will be more places that sell them, these are just some links I have found)

USA;
Sweet Feet and Beak Comfort Grip Safety Perch for Bird Cages - Patented Pumice Perch for Birds to Keep Nails and Beaks in Top Condition - Safe, Non-Toxic, Easy to Install Bird Cage Accessories
Sweet Feet and Beak Safety Pumice Perch for Birds Features Real Pumice to Trim Nails and Beak and Promote Healthy Feet - Safe and Non-Toxic, for Bird Cages

UK;

Europe;

Canada;

Australia;

India;

UAE;

Additional
Remember it is important to also offer natural branches of various sizes to help keep your birds feet and nails in good condition. And provide wooden toys to chew to help care for their beak.
Remember, they may not work for everyone, and it is also important to get that positioning right in the cage so that the bird uses it.

How to check if your birds nails need trimmed; click here

Please, feel free to post your experiences with pedicure perches, or any other info or input :)

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I have two. The concrete version and the wonky pumice. It's just now starting to help, but it's taken time for them to be deemed safe to try by the red queen. One is on the outside, and I use it to put her back on her cage so it only ever gets two steps. The pumice is next to her foot toy basket, and gets more use now that she is foraging through the basket regularly. I've still needed to trim two nails this past month. It's really helping to have them, and we both like the pumice best.

I also got a pumice swing that Mel uses... The jury is still out for it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I just wanted to post this here too so others will be aware to still keep an eye on their birds feet.
I had safety pumice perch that was rough on the sides end smooth on the top in all of my birds cages, but it gave Sunset the beginnings of bumblefoot foot. It didn’t harm my other birds feet, and she actually used it less than them, so I guess just keep any eye on your birds feet for any irritation.
Since then I have tried to use one again in Sunset’s cage only to have to take it out again a few days later after her feet started getting red.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This one for parrotlets I'm guessing?
That Mini size is the smallest size they make, I think it would be good for a P´let but check the measurements because I don´t know how big/small their feet are.
My lovebirds have both the mini and the small sizes.

So you have never needed to get a nail trim for the birds that use the perch.
No. They all go to the vet, but never get their nails trimmed there apart from Ade.
Keep in mind, they don´t work for everyone, but they are definitely worth giving a go. You will still need to monitor your birds nails to be sure they are not getting overgrown as well as making sure your birds are not favouring that perch and hanging out on it.
@Tiel Feathers makes a good point that it worked for most of her birds but was giving one bird problems.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
You totally sold me, picked up two Pedi-perches for my girls.
I remember using one of those thin sanded ones in the past and didn’t like the abrasiveness so wrote them off from my mind. Worth a shot with these! :marlenesmile:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Just be careful if you are buying the sweet feet and beak ones...... my last one was totally different to the ones pictured here so make sure to check them before purchasing. The first one I bought I really love and it works well but the latest one I got I have not used as I believe it is going to be quite dangerous for Burt's feet health. It is no where near the size it should be on the smooth part- I am very disappointed to say the least!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I love the Sweet Feet and Beaks, their Safety perches are very nice, smooth and durable. You can get them non pumice.

I also started to bring in the walnut sure grip perches by Superbird Creations.

Polly's pet products also has large perches. My Too looooves the wide one, sleeps on it every night.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Look what I got today! I ordered the Living World perch from Amazon after it getting such high praise from @Zara :)

So far we are in the first stage of tiel toy acceptance: "stand at other side of cage and give it the suspicious tiel eye". Crest position: full mast.

They are already progressing into the stage: "move slowly closer and beep at it curiously". Crest position: half mast.

IMG_20200721_123848.jpg

(I actually went a size bigger, this one is more conure-sized, but they both like to stand on the perch usually placed here and the tiel one seemed short to me)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have copped so much grief when others have seen Burt's pedi perch...... so many people I know have a twisted mind! :laugh:
I am definitely not allowed to post here what my husband calls these shape perches! Instead let me just post the pic I took first before realising it was too obscene-looking :rofl:

IMG_20200721_123449.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I bet he calls it the same thing my son and mum call Burt's one :rofl:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
(I actually went a size bigger, this one is more conure-sized, but they both like to stand on the perch usually placed here and the tiel one seemed short to me)
They recommend the mini for ´Tiels... I don´t think that is a good match. A small one is a better size for them.

Ah I see you got the Medium! As long as their nails reach the abbrasive part :)

I am definitely not allowed to post here what my husband calls these shape perches! Instead let me just post the pic I took first before realising it was too obscene-looking :rofl:
:lol:
I bet burt has a really big one!!! Shezbugs friends jaws must hit the floor!!!! :rofl:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah I see you got the Medium! As long as their nails reach the abbrasive part :)
Yeah I will see and hopefully it will. I didn't expect it to be that much thicker. But it looks about right. It didn't take long to deliver if I need to order a new one.

clarousel

I agree with you guys! The worst thing is they have it in this mauvey pink colour...

I got the same blue one but in S for Preeno. I don't know if it's doing much but I use it as his training perch so at least he's hopping on/flying off it!