• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peculiar Behavior/habit?

Tomo

Moving in
Real Name
Sierra
My newly adopted Grey seems to always "chew the cud" so to speak. Sometimes after eating he will mess with regurge/fluid in his beak for a long time. He does not do this everytime he eats, just often. I've included a link to the video, I'm not sure how else to share a video clip so it's a YouTube link. I hope that's ok, I'm curious if it's hormonal related? Bordem?

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I watched the video a couple of times and to me it looks like he might have a seed in his mouth he's messing with. I would be concerned if he brought up fluid and shook his head sideways, that's vomiting and needs to be checked. A complete vet check up is always good. Congratulations on your new parrot he's beautiful.

Tomo

Moving in
Real Name
Sierra
Thanks for the input. He's not actively regurging or bobbing his head or anything like that. I thought it was a seed shell at first but after staring at him for 4 days it's definitely fluid. The rescue just had him fully vetted before adopting him in out in April and he was deemed all around healthy.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Do you know what tests the vet did? Any bloodwork?

Tomo

Moving in
Real Name
Sierra
Yes full comprehensive wellness profile, all values were within normal limits. Only issue was some pressure sores on his feet from improper perching

Tomo

Moving in
Real Name
Sierra
Here's a better and more closer look. It's almost like his version of content beak grinding.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have a grey, so take this with a grain of salt--a big one. For greys, this might be completely within the realm of normal.

It looks like he is messing around with something that has a frothy, mucus-like consistency. Whether it is some form of 'crop milk' or partially digested food and water mixed I couldn't say.

What came to my mind is some sort of crop problem--slow crop or infection of some sort? Have you sent the video to your avian vet to see if they think it is worth bringing him in for a check?

Tomo

Moving in
Real Name
Sierra
Thanks :) Makes me feel a little better. I am continuing to do more research. I have not submitted to my vet yet, I'll try and email it over tomorrow. :)

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I never seen that in any of my parrots. It looks almost sticky. I'd definitely talk to your vet.