• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peanut Butter

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Who gives/uses PB vs Almond Butter in either bird bread or what ever ? I bought some REDICULOUSLY overpriced almond butter packets, like a ketchup packet. Put it on a plain Rice Cake and Mango liked it. I say Like, not Love. I can think of so many ways to incorporate a nut butter into a healthy snack but man oh man, $12 a jar ? Even organic Peanut Butter is cheaper than that. Chime in either way what you do/use and how often. The Avenue is becoming my new Facebook lol, ADMIN let me know if I am hijacking the Cul De Sac :) :) Thanks

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
If you want to use the Almond Butter instead of PB... think you can make your own by just grinding up to a paste!
ps-- I know what you're saying about getting 'addicted' to this site--- I spend more time here than my emails!
And it makes me happier too!

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
If you want to use the Almond Butter instead of PB... think you can make your own by just grinding up to a paste!
ps-- I know what you're saying about getting 'addicted' to this site--- I spend more time here than my emails!
And it makes me happier too!

Honestly, PB is cheaper and easier. I was trying to go the healthy organic route but realized, my feathers cant afford it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just offer nuts and skip the nut butters :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The difference between peanut butter and almond butter is the amount of saturated (bad) fats in peanut butter. Our birds have enough problems with heart disease and circulatory disease without increasing the risk with high saturated fat foods.
Almond Butter vs. Peanut Butter: What’s Healthiest?

What are you doing buying packets of almond butter - the absolute most expensive way to buy it? I buy a 12 oz. jar of no sugar, no salt added almond butter for $7.47 at Walmart and Amazon has even cheaper.

Almond butter is better for you and your bird.

This is what excess bad fats can and will do to your bird. I have had three macaws with atherosclerosis.

BTW - my female Greenwing was diagnosed with atherosclerosis at 6 1/2 years of age.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The difference between peanut butter and almond butter is the amount of saturated (bad) fats in peanut butter. Our birds have enough problems with heart disease and circulatory disease without increasing the risk with high saturated fat foods.

What are you doing buying packets of almond butter - the absolute most expensive way to buy it? I buy a 12 oz. jar of no sugar, no salt added almond butter for $7.47 at Walmart and Amazon has even cheaper.

This is what excess bad fats can and will do to your bird. I have had three macaws with atherosclerosis.

BTW - my female Greenwing was diagnosed with atherosclerosis at 6 1/2 years of age.
That's what took my beloved Nala from me with no warning even though she basically just ate Harrisons pellets for the 11 years I had her I never could get her to eat fresh food and I tried every possible thing.
Horrible horrible disease I curse it every day that I live without my girl :(

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen

I was just trying it in the packet form to see if he liked it. Im off to the store now, worst case scenario I make my own. Will skip the Skippy. I drink/use almond milk so I prefer it to cow milk anyway. Just gave him a nail trim and Im wore out lol. Great article ! I dont see the need for a regular thing with it but he went for MY rice cake with almond butter so I figured it was worth the try. I see most of its use in Bird bread, rice cakes and maybe Oatmeal if he likes it. Either way, if he doesnt - I will.

Just wasnt sure if anyone used PB w/o the J ?? Thanks for the articles @April I think I will read the scary one later. Im sorry about Nala. My son has a GCC will have to pass that on to him.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just trying it in the packet form to see if he liked it. Im off to the store now, worst case scenario I make my own. Will skip the Skippy. I drink/use almond milk so I prefer it to cow milk anyway. Just gave him a nail trim and Im wore out lol. Great article ! I dont see the need for a regular thing with it but he went for MY rice cake with almond butter so I figured it was worth the try. I see most of its use in Bird bread, rice cakes and maybe Oatmeal if he likes it. Either way, if he doesnt - I will.

Just wasnt sure if anyone used PB w/o the J ?? Thanks for the articles @April I think I will read the scary one later. Im sorry about Nala. My son has a GCC will have to pass that on to him.
Thank you for your kind condolences,she was my entire world and though its been almost 4 years it still hurts as bad as the day it happened. She was my birdie soul mate.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Mine get peanut butter almost every day. Just a small amount on toast or a pinch of my sandwich

All my birds fly every day in a big aviary, and caiques have a very high fat tolerance anyway