• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peach Front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I have been researching and not finding a lot about them. Mostly general stuff.

I was hoping some of you that own then can tell me more about them.

Really would like to know something about their behavior as a pet and in the wild. I am hoping this info well help me re-tame this adult and avoid the bites.

I am also going to pick the brain the my boss who is the owner at this time (but it is in my house and think I am going to make it permanent.) See if she knows anything about its history.

I do know she bought it at a bird fair about 3 maybe 4 years ago and I believe it was pet at one time. He talks some and follows me around but bites if I ask him to step up. He was running now he is biting. Think I would rather he kept running. Ouch. He well also take treats from my hand.

I feel he can be tamed but well take a while. And I got to find a way to do it without any more bites.

Thank you for any info on these birds and reading my long post.:hug8:

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Talked to my boss and she knows nothing about the bird. Only that she has had it for 3 years. Set up for 2 as breeder till his mate passed away.

We suspect it was a pet cause it does talk and wants to be a pet just has forgotten how.

Oh and BTW he is mine now. So got to find a nice name for him. Something enduring to help me bond since I can't touch him yet.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I like peach fronted conures. Congrats on your new bird. If I were to get conures, I would only get the green cheeks and the peach fronts.

How old is it? And do you have any pics? :D

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
No idea how old he is. The person I got him from guess 10 but she has only had him 3 years.
This is not his forever cage. I like this cage for taming cause of the big door and I can move it around easy so that he is near me as much as possible.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Aww he is so beautiful.:heart:

Has he been cage bound and none hand-able since you boss had him for 3-4 years?

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Yes he has not been out of the cage on his own but a couple times in the last month since he has been at my house.

He is also getting less flighty when I put my hand in and even come up to me. I though he was going to use his beak to steady the perch(my hand) but what he did was grab hold and grind. No blood but I have not tried again to touch him. I have to be able to trust him as much as he needs to trust me. (Took me 6 months to get Joey my RLA to step up on me. However he has never bite me just to bite like this one. And now he is a cuddle spong.)

I hate to do it but thinking I may have to catch him and move to another room to work with him. But he has started to come out. I keep thinking in time I can get him to let me handle him when he is out on the door.

That is how I would rather do it and now that he is mine I can spend all the time I want to working with re-taming him.

Last edited:

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
well for starters, most conure training info can be applied to PFC's as with other aratinga's. Best way to win them over is through their stomach and with a lot of patience! Find a treat he likes and only hand feed it to him. it looks like your already off to a good start! :)

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
OH ya he loves his peanuts and well come out the door grab them and back up to the opening. lol So funny.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is stunning,congratz on getting him.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Thanks everyone for the advice and comments on my new boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.