• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peach Faced Lovebirds

TabbyCat03

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tabitha
Hi all! I just got 2 peach faced lovebirds after several months of research and consideration. I've had them for 2 days and already one of them is starting to bite one of them near the neck and chase them around. I am currently waiting on DNA tests but the store i bought them from presumed one is male and the other is female. The supposed male is the one doing the biting. The owner said that they are 4 months old and from 2 different breeders. They act all lovey and affectionate when the one isn't biting but I'm scared something will happen when im not watching. When i got them they were in the same cage together and still very affectionate. What do I do? Any advice?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Bumping up your thread!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Tabitha! 1.welcome signs.gif

When i got them they were in the same cage together
Call the prev. owner and ask how long they were together. Maybe they were just put together to be sold quicker?
If they really are a pair, maybe the stress of the move is making them act out.
Or, maybe they are siblings and now they´re starting to mature they are finding that they are not compatible.

Ultimately, I would get a second cage and split them up. You can allow them shared time together when you are there to monitor them. And hopefully when they settle in a bit more they can go back to live with each other.

Side note, I have 3 pairs and only one of those males even tries to bite the female, it´s usually the female that does any biting/nipping. None chase their partners, they only chase the other birds.

TabbyCat03

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tabitha
Welcome to the Avenue Tabitha! View attachment 377390

Call the prev. owner and ask how long they were together. Maybe they were just put together to be sold quicker?
If they really are a pair, maybe the stress of the move is making them act out.
Or, maybe they are siblings and now they´re starting to mature they are finding that they are not compatible.

Ultimately, I would get a second cage and split them up. You can allow them shared time together when you are there to monitor them. And hopefully when they settle in a bit more they can go back to live with each other.

Side note, I have 3 pairs and only one of those males even tries to bite the female, it´s usually the female that does any biting/nipping. None chase their partners, they only chase the other birds.
Thank you! They are not siblings which kind of reinforces the thought that they were just put together to sell quicker but I will still look into separating them.