• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Peach faced Love bird family

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
We, my husband and I recently bought two love birds who have 3 offspring, now I am noticing some signs of possible abuse. One, the runt has bare patches on his or her shoulders (could be from pecking?) he or she also is quite attached to me and looks like it's being ignored. The other younger one but bigger than the runt, has been hanging in the cage with beak, as far away as s/he can be from parents and other siblings. When younger they were quite happy to rest on Dad's (human) shoulder and now they are freaked out. I say they are brainwashed by bird mom and dad, who are still wild and we don't know how to get them tame. The two others fly away. So now we have them in a cage together with out mom and dad.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Are you handfeeding them now that they are separated from their parents?

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
No I didn't do it right I know, they are with parents still, but can pick up the baby who is the runt.. then I found out, you're supposed to take them after three weeks away from the parents, like I found out a few days ago. I looked at a good article .. I guess that is how to make them tame. So now we have the one featured in the picture tame because he's 4 weeks old and mom and dad leave him in the nesting box. I don't know what to do now
if I keep him in separate cage, I am afraid he'll get lonely. I can take him to a different room.
i wish I would have read the article a few weeks ago. (steep learning curve) If I can find another runt like him, I guess that would be good, they can be friends. I went tonight to get another nesting box. The older two are wild. Is there anything I can do about that?

Maybe mom will have some more. Then I can do it properly.

Last edited:

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
we've gotten another nesting box so Alex can stay by himself at the pet store. Mom is busy trying to lay more eggs..Isaiah a male bird (I think is perching on the pot rack and won't go back in the cage where the parents do. Mom finally feeded him tonight and his sister I think. Alex is safe from being pecked. I found out today it's not developmental.. it's abuse. So he's safe I will get Isaiah when I can but he's wild. Alex is 4 weeks and very attached to me.. so he is not wild. The sister is wild too. I wish I knew. Lesson learned

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If she is plucking the chicks, then unfortunately you will have to remove them from the mother permanently and hand feed them. Do you have someone who can teach you how to handfeed?

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
I know how I watched a video. the older birds won't let me hand feed, not sure how to get them to. I finally got Isaiah in the cage like a half hour or so. I left door open of Alex's cage cause he doesn't fly yet. Unfortunately I had to grab him with gloves on cause they bite! Owwee. So I will keep an eye on them and try to hand feed them.. they are four to 5 weeks old. The older baby Isaiah went to get some food from the food bowl, and mother scolded him (??!!) That I don't get at all.. !!

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't know the amount to give him.. that's the part will have to figure out. CCs mean nothing to me. So far I have prepared a small amount and put in the syringe which was full. Mostly he looks nostalgically at the other cage which has his family in it... as if to say why can't I go visit? He got two syringes full yesterday or as much as he'd eat. I fed twice .. so amounts are still something I need to learn.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I suggest contacting a nearby breeder immediately so they can show you how to hand feed. It is pretty complicated and anything done wrong will result in dead babies.

What temperature do you have the formula at? The babies are kept in a brooder, right? What temp is the brooder? How often do you feed? Do you thoroughly disinfect the materials you use for hand feeding after each feeding? Make sure their crops fully or almost empty between feedings. Their crops should FULLY empty between at least once a day. If not then they will get an infection.

Also at 4-5 weeks old, they will be refusing formula. So you need to provide them with a variety of solid foods like seeds, pellets, veggies, grains, and fruit along with handfeeding them throughout the day. Only give them as much as they will eat, do not force them to eat. Also, do not clip their feathers because they are learning how to fly. If they are clipped they will think they are too heavy to fly and will starve themselves trying to lose weight. (at around 5 week is when they start to learn how to fly)

Another issue is that they might be too old to know how to eat from a syringe. So that can be an issue.

Please do not breed your birds again without thorough knowledge, a vet fund, and an avian vet close by. So many things can go wrong and it's our responsibility to make sure things go right.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Last edited:

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
there's two who are still in the parent cage, and one I am trying to feed. I have a nesting box but no incubator in both cages. So I don't know what you mean by an incubator. Alex is on his own due to receiving many scratches by mom. I think she is wanting to start another clutch as you call it I think. I can move them all out of parent cage but will they starve to death? Mom doesn't let them eat out of food dishes or water dish so how will they get weaned? if I can get them away from mother I think it would be good. I did hand feed all of them but they went wild. :( not incubator .. a brooder. I guess is what you said. I guess that's the nesting box it's at room temp. I put a blanket in Alex's cage and he got confused after a bit so took it out.

Last edited:

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
Please contact a breeder immediately to help you.

What temperature do you have the formula at? The babies are kept in a brooder, right? What temp is the brooder? How often do you feed? Do you thoroughly disinfect the materials you use for hand feeding after each feeding?

They need a brooder if you will take them out to feed them. Please do not let your birds breed again, they sound like inexperienced and not so good parents.

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
they were okay at first. Actually I did think they were excellent parents. The father is good, he hangs out with the babies when mom is in brooder trying to lay an egg. I have one also for Alex cause he's small. I may put her in the spare cage and continue feeding Alex. that way she can lay her egg in peace and quiet and the young ones will not be bothered too. I will try this. the two bigger ones are ready to be weaned. But she won't let them (?) I will change things up with them. Since I have two cages but she will not be with them again, at least not Alex in any case. He needs to heal .. I boil

Since I read what you wrote, I took off the air conditioner. I don't have a thermometer so I use the thermostat and if I don't run the AC it's over 80 w/o AC. I use meat one to check it ... runs around 80 or so but Alex is over a month old and the others older. they are almost as big as the parents. I tell them apart by their black beaks .. Alex is tinier bigger than the picture he was hatched late August. so these are the older ones i don't have a current one of Alex but he's smaller. Jacob and Esther and Isaiah.jpg

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
I plan to take the birds out before the problem happens, as in the parent (mom) gets tired of them. I will show you an image of Alex tomorrow ~ that's the plan. the two older ones should be weaned. They were hatched middle to late August. They were all laid middle to late August.
Mom is stopping them from weaning which is defeating the purpose of what she wants which is to lay eggs

Last edited:

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Please contact a breeder immediately to help you.

What temperature do you have the formula at? The babies are kept in a brooder, right? What temp is the brooder? How often do you feed? Do you thoroughly disinfect the materials you use for hand feeding after each feeding?

They need a brooder if you will take them out to feed them. Please do not let your birds breed again, they sound like inexperienced and not so good parents.
when you say a brooder do you mean an incubator? More coming so I want to be prepared this time... I know the temperature is important so I think they should be kept in a temp controlled environment .. like an aquarium with the heater but not too hot.. from what i can tell 80 degrees F is good

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
No, I mean a brooder. An incubator is for eggs, a brooder is for babies.

So your planning to breed them again? I would advise against that. :/

80 degrees is too cold...

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you ... for your help !!
I think it's 92 to 98, my female is pregnant I believe,.. I think with proper research I should find out how to help the babies survive.. all of breeders were 'new' at one time

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You're welcome. I'm confused, are you saying that your birds are breeding again? What became of the other babies you were asking about originally?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sorry, baby stuff I am totally ignorant on!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This thread is a couple months old, update!