• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PDD poops

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I know we talk about the poops of birds with PDD having undigested food, especially seed. My birds don't eat much seed. They eat nuts, but they pulverize them pretty good. Zena's poops have always been abnormal, but not changing. I assumed they were normal for her. Now I think it was because of the PDD. She has blobs of poops where everything is mixed together. They aren't water at all but there are not distinct tube shapes in them like the CAGs. Kobra Kai's poops are the same. They're small, frequently and one blob with everything. She's also ABV positive. I'm starting to wonder if her digestive system is slowed as well. She seems completely and totally healthy but so did Zena until she got sick. Even when I nearly lost her she hadn't lost any weight. I'm considering starting to medicate Kobra Kai before she has other symptoms. Does anyone else have birds with PDD or that are ABV positive that's noticed abnormal poops without undigested food?

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Here are a couple of examples. The smaller one, on bottom, is a Kobra Kai (RB2) poop. The larger one is a Zena (sun) morning bomb. Please excuse Zena's dirty cage. I swear it's cleaner than that overall, it's just hard to get the places where she poos down the sides. It's due for some time outside. These are both from this morning. This is what all of their poops look like. Zena's have looked like this for over a year. Kobra Kai's have looked like this since I got her in November. Both have tested perfectly healthy for everything except ABV. Zena's PDD diagnosis was based on symptoms and an xray. If my other birds had poops like this, it would be call for a vet visit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jen, I'm so sorry that the dread ABV has invaded your flock. I have no experience with the disease, so cannot comment on it. I do know that my Jasper's poop varies so much from day to day that I really don't get very excited about it. She has tested perfectly healthy at the vets (except for her CHF and atherosclosis) every six months when she goes to the vet.

I have seen poop from Jasper that is similar to both of the pictures you posted.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Jen, I'm so sorry that the dread ABV has invaded your flock. I have no experience with the disease, so cannot comment on it. I do know that my Jasper's poop varies so much from day to day that I really don't get very excited about it. She has tested perfectly healthy at the vets (except for her CHF and atherosclosis) every six months when she goes to the vet.

I have seen poop from Jasper that is similar to both of the pictures you posted.
All birds occasionally have poops that are off. These two have consistently pooped like the pictures. The only time I've ever seen Zena's poop make the standard tube shape is right after the PDD diagnosis when she was on injected meds. I'm not entirely sure that the ABV is the cause, it just seems like there's a high probability that it is.

Eclectica

Moving in
Real Name
Wilma
Hi Jen, my eclectus was diagnosed middle June 2013 with PDD, but as of yet not confirmed. We are treating the symptoms, and he is getting Cereblex medication for 6 weeks. How long have your birds been living with PDD? As ive only read bad reports about it, and that ultimately their destined to die of it suddenly.

My birds poop is loose like diarrhea, and it smells really bad. Vet said to expect that. Appetite remains good though, just very smelly and very loose, with some undigested pellet crumbs in some of them. But he's poop changes throughout the day, it can start squirty and get solid by the end of the day again.

He's was quite nasty, as he had literally blood in his before he was diagnosed (when he just got ill) and stopped eating altogether. He was at the vet for a week, where his blood pressure was so low, they had to put the drip needle through his wing bone. This was within two days of illness.

He is quite early into the disease, and my vet suggested the Harrisons range food to help him, we have local Avi Plus pelleted food, which is ok, but i've heard Harrisons is some of the best along with Kaytee? The Harrisons is just very expensive here as it gets sold on prescription from vets only. So im trying to fatten him up again, seeing he is a solomon island ekkie and now weighing 350g with the disease.

Any input from others that live with parrots with PDD will be much appreciated. And what about other birds? I hear its contagious, so i have moved my lovebirds to my brothers house for now, but in the long run?

Thank you for anyone who can help who is a PDD parront. :)