• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PBFD

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Hello everyone,

As some of you may know I was looking in to getting a second bird. But before bringing home a second bird I wanted to bring Sisi to a vet for a general test, so they took some blood and feathers.
I got called about her results, her blood was clean. But her feather tested positive for PBFD :(
The vet thought it was a false positive and I have to wait for a few weeks now to test it again.

But I was reading a bit more about PBFD and was wondering if there is really such a thing as false positive? And if she maybe can be a carrier?
Sisi doesn't have bald spots, but she does have really weird feathers which are a bit curled and deformed.. I thought this could be because she had a really poor diet before she came to me, but after this I just begin doubting it a bit.
Maybe I just worry to much, but thought it couldn't hurt to learn a bit more about it before she could get tested again. And maybe it can ease my mind a bit.

And if this could mean she is a carrier it probably won't be a great idea to bring home a second bird. :(

Greetings from me and Sisi :cag:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope her second test comes back negative, but the deformed feathers are not a good sign.

No, don’t bring home another bird unless they are also PBFD-positive. That said, it’s highly contagious, and people owning PBFD birds have a responsibility to not spread it. I imagine that means lots of F10, showers, and clothing changes for you. You don’t want to bring PBFD out into the world with you on your clothes and possibly contaminate another person who has birds, or directly contaminate a bird. I don’t think people take it seriously enough at all. So please think about that if she does turn out to be positive a second time.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
I hope her second test comes back negative, but the deformed feathers are not a good sign.

No, don’t bring home another bird unless they are also PBFD-positive. That said, it’s highly contagious, and people owning PBFD birds have a responsibility to not spread it. I imagine that means lots of F10, showers, and clothing changes for you. You don’t want to bring PBFD out into the world with you on your clothes and possibly contaminate another person who has birds, or directly contaminate a bird. I don’t think people take it seriously enough at all. So please think about that if she does turn out to be positive a second time.
I really hope it comes in negative too, but because of the feathers.. :(

I have special clothes at this moment that I only wear in her room, after that I will go directly to the shower and put on different clothes. I also have F10 luckily, but will order a bit more!
And I definitely will not bring home a second bird.

Thank you so much for the reply!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good! Yeah, essentially like you’re doing a serious decon. When we’ve been to a questionable place (like pet stores with birds), we spray each other down with F10, pitch the clothes right in the washing machine (with more F10), and take showers. Naturally our shoes and the inside of the car get sprayed down as well. We don’t ever want to bring something like PBFD home to our flock. :(

Please update us about your little girl when you’ve done the second test as well. If she does come back positive, well...at least she’s with you now. :heart2:

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Good! Yeah, essentially like you’re doing a serious decon. When we’ve been to a questionable place (like pet stores with birds), we spray each other down with F10, pitch the clothes right in the washing machine (with more F10), and take showers. Naturally our shoes and the inside of the car get sprayed down as well. We don’t ever want to bring something like PBFD home to our flock. :(

Please update us about your little girl when you’ve done the second test as well. If she does come back positive, well...at least she’s with you now. :heart2:
@Tvdv96 Thank you for being a responsible and loving birdy custodian!
Putting some F10 in the washing machine is a great tip actually, hadn't thought about that yet! So will start doing that as well!
It's really great that you do that, better safe than sorry! :)

I will definitely give an update when I get the results of the second test!
Yes I wouldn't give her away for anything, she's my little baby, little clown and we've come such a long way together :heart:

Thank you so much for the kind words! Happy to have a place like AA:hug8: