• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures PBFD In Progress.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Peep is going through his first molt.. This is what is happening. He seems his normal happy self but is destined to be a naked bird. My CAV is involved. I love him and will continue to love him, even when he is featherless. The areas under his wings were the first to be affected and look the worst now. I have no idea how long of a process this will be. My CAV said that symptoms will wax and wane . FC23D5EF-DA6B-4486-9DBA-C49CBA54F190.jpeg D78728C4-E9ED-40B6-89D8-E113216703DD.jpeg 19681D27-8E93-4F19-9631-CD843CCB44EB.jpeg
TYPO in the title. PBFD

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are you aware that a new vaccine has been developed for PBFD? I read an article about it recently, but like a dumbo I did not mark the article. It is being developed in Australia.

"They are working on a vaccine for PBFD...…" @Zara posted this not long a go. maybe she can help and if you inform your vet about the vaccine he can probably find out more.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Yes, I saw the article myself. At the time I thought it won't be available in time for my babies. They are actually seeking funds through Kick Starter or some such thing, mainly to hire people to continue developing it. I believe they are expecting it to be for breeders, initially. And it probably will be costly. But I'm glad there is hope for the future. It seems to be early days right now.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
:hug8:He's a beautiful boy, and he'll be beautiful without feathers too. Hugs to you and him, I'm sure it's not an easy road to travel but he's lucky to have you looking after for him.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Oliver is also positive but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He was clipped but is growing new flight feathers. His tail feathers are messed up but I thing it's because he and his boing have a very active sex life. And just today I noticed it looks like he may be getting new tail feathers. Time Will tell.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
What I know about vaccines is that they are used before the disease is acquired. A vaccine is a small amount of the disease in an inactive state (usually dead), that is given so that the body can recognise the disease later and act immediately to it. The biggest problem with most viruses is that at first the body doesn't know that there is something dangerous, so the virus gets an opportunity to breed quite a bit before the body decides to act against it. Also giving a vaccine to someone who already has the virus is dangerous.
A cure is what you need.
I'm so sorry your beautiful babies have to go through this but it sounds as if you are coping well.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
What I know about vaccines is that they are used before the disease is acquired. A vaccine is a small amount of the disease in an inactive state (usually dead), that is given so that the body can recognise the disease later and act immediately to it. The biggest problem with most viruses is that at first the body doesn't know that there is something dangerous, so the virus gets an opportunity to breed quite a bit before the body decides to act against it. Also giving a vaccine to someone who already has the virus is dangerous.
A cure is what you need.
I'm so sorry your beautiful babies have to go through this but it sounds as if you are coping well.

In the article they mentioned this;

“We've also serendipitously discovered that the vaccine is useful for birds that are already infected," he said.

"So it may also be a cure. We never expected that."

So there’s a hope it can also be a cure.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
@simon777 Thanks. As far as coping, I have no choice. And they are super cute birds who entertain me for hours. They play a LOT and snuggle and feed each other, and join me in my chair and run around me when I'm lying down. I'm super sorry they are infected and hope it doesn't shorten their lives. When I got them I expected they would be my last birds, due to my age. We are just taking it one day at a time. That's actually all any of us can do anyway.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We are just taking it one day at a time. That's actually all any of us can do anyway.
True words we should each remember.

To be covered by love is the best gift and you're giving that to them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love him and will continue to love him, even when he is featherless.
And us here on AA will also love him, even when he is featherless. He will always be sweet little Peep :) ❤❤❤

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I know there is no cure but it all depends on how strong the immune system is. I would focus on diet of organic foods as much as possible and even herb salad from Twin Peaks. These will help their system be strong to fight off this virus.