• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PBFD Baby Indian Ringneck

Maryyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mariana
September 21st. of 2020 was the happiest day of my life. I got my 1st baby Indian Ringneck. 2 months later he/she lost its tail, then a few weeks later he/she started losing his feathers under its wings. I took him to the avian vet fearing the worst. He/she was tested for PBFD. Unfortunately He/she came out positive. Now he/she is 4 months old, I am trying my best to love and care for him/her. I am so sad because I dont know how to help my poor baby. ( the avian vet gave me the option of putting him down) that is out of the question. I might have to rehome him/her as I have 2 birds. PBFD is highly contagious. I follow a group on FB where people take in special birds in. But that only happens in Australia, I am located In Southern California. What can I do to help my baby? Is there a place for a special bird like mine? Please if you have nothing nice to say just dont. I am already going thru hell.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe I have seen many special needs shelters/ rescues for birds in the US- not PBFD but other special needs. I am not familiar with names- I have just seen a few on IG. I will try to look for the main one I am thinking of a little later on and contact them to ask if they know of anyone who would take in a PBFD bird.
I am sorry this is happening to you and your baby bird, have your other birds been tested too?

@Mizzely, any ideas?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please be sure to be very careful to decontaminate and shower between birds and keep them far away from each other. Use lots of F10 and make sure you’re “clean” when leaving the house as you don’t want to carry it out with you and expose other birds. I’m so
sorry this is happening to your baby. :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Aveue Mariana, I´m sorry to hear of your birds diagnosis.

I might have to rehome him/her as I have 2 birds. PBFD is highly contagious.
Do you have your first birds quarantined away from the IRN? and they have never met?
I would test the two birds to be sure they don´t have it also. If they test positive, you won´t have to rehome the new bird.

Maryyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mariana
I believe I have seen many special needs shelters/ rescues for birds in the US- not PBFD but other special needs. I am not familiar with names- I have just seen a few on IG. I will try to look for the main one I am thinking of a little later on and contact them to ask if they know of anyone who would take in a PBFD bird.
I am sorry this is happening to you and your baby bird, have your other birds been tested too?

@Mizzely, any ideas?
I did take my other birds to get tested. They are negative . Thank you!

Maryyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mariana
Welcome to the Aveue Mariana, I´m sorry to hear of your birds diagnosis.

Do you have your first birds quarantined away from the IRN? and they have never met?
I would test the two birds to be sure they don´t have it also. If they test positive, you won´t have to rehome the new bird.
I have them in separate rooms. Since my other birds are negative. It's sad because my IRN seems sad to be alone. But I have no other choice.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:welave: I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :sadhug2:

Maryyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mariana
Please be sure to be very careful to decontaminate and shower between birds and keep them far away from each other. Use lots of F10 and make sure you’re “clean” when leaving the house as you don’t want to carry it out with you and expose other birds. I’m so
sorry this is happening to your baby. :(
I have been extra careful and clean since I have other birds that are negative. I have my IRN in a different room. I always have to wear different clothing after I spend time with my IRN, And ofcourse when I go out.

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
I may have someone in SOCAL that can take your baby I'll have to talk to them. But you may also want to look into this because every bird I've known to have that ends up having to be put down because they suffer. From my understanding it's a painful disease for them. And the messed up part is we all know birdies hide their illness and pain so you may not know he/she is suffering. I totally get that you don't want to do that, who ever does? But it may be the best thing. (please don't take that wrong I am not trying to be mean, heartless or anything else) :(

Maryyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mariana
I may have someone in SOCAL that can take your baby I'll have to talk to them. But you may also want to look into this because every bird I've known to have that ends up having to be put down because they suffer. From my understanding it's a painful disease for them. And the messed up part is we all know birdies hide their illness and pain so you may not know he/she is suffering. I totally get that you don't want to do that, who ever does? But it may be the best thing. (please don't take that wrong I am not trying to be mean, heartless or anything else) :(
I've been reading a lot about it. I know what you mean. I would love to give him her the chance to live as long as he she is meant to live. Who am I to decide how long he she should live only God can do that. I would put him down only if he was suffering. But as for now hes and active lovable baby bird. The only reason I would rehome him/her is because I have other birds. I would only give him her up to a person That has experience with PDFD Birds and possibly a friend for my baby and willing to give him her a for ever home and a lot of love. Thank you and keep me posted.

Rdunney

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rebecca
September 21st. of 2020 was the happiest day of my life. I got my 1st baby Indian Ringneck. 2 months later he/she lost its tail, then a few weeks later he/she started losing his feathers under its wings. I took him to the avian vet fearing the worst. He/she was tested for PBFD. Unfortunately He/she came out positive. Now he/she is 4 months old, I am trying my best to love and care for him/her. I am so sad because I dont know how to help my poor baby. ( the avian vet gave me the option of putting him down) that is out of the question. I might have to rehome him/her as I have 2 birds. PBFD is highly contagious. I follow a group on FB where people take in special birds in. But that only happens in Australia, I am located In Southern California. What can I do to help my baby? Is there a place for a special bird like mine? Please if you have nothing nice to say just dont. I am already going thru hell.
Hey Mary I’m in Southern California too and have a ring neck that just turn two that has PBFD

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hey Mary I’m in Southern California too and have a ring neck that just turn two that has PBFD
The member you quoted hasn’t been online here for quite a few months so you may not get a reply.
You could start your own thread if you are looking for information or support:)