• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Patience is paying out dividends! I’m so happy!

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone! So, I have some news to share as well as a question or two on behaviour. First; I wanted to let you know that Babalooey Blue is really settling in now! He is happily chirping away as I write this and has been more playful by the day! The paper toys finally arrived and he ADORES those! He will even play with me if I offer a paper shred and in this way, has begun to nibble, preen - and pluck(!!) the fine hairs on my fingers. I almost cried! So sweet. I open the cage door every morning and feed fresh chop. Today he almost (almost) ate some! He tasted a few pieces anyways! After morning chop is served, he will sometimes come out and explore. I’ll turn on the YouTube Budgies making noises video and he will sit and watch and kiss the screen. My question is - is this harmful at all? Like, my tv screen is pretty big and I worry about wrecking his vision? He’s not addicted or frustrated at all - he flies away after a few minutes. But I just wanted to ask about it because I have a little perch set up for him in front of it because when he tries to land on the tv he can’t find purchase and he really fell hard the other day! Thus, a perch. So please, what do you think? Is this TV watching harmful? Or harmless?
ps. I had my very first experience with Babalooey Blue coming towards me after he skimmed the ground and landed in an unfamiliar area, I very slowly approached, hand down by him - and he ran over to step up!!! I’m so happy!!
Photo of Babalooey Blue watching his favorite tv show! 89E6DF6F-5F71-49DE-B78E-BA840CE38475.jpeg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Of course that's his favorite show, look how handsome the actors are! :joyful:

And so great that he's settling in so well. :heart2:

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
ADCE6790-B2A5-4BFB-8277-DD9FE121AA2C.jpeg 953E9DBA-77DD-4F6D-A47D-15CA48859DFF.jpeg 6587B10B-D0DC-4DD0-B942-8CECF3B1ABBB.jpeg Oh my goodness you guys! What a week it’s been! Over the past week my little bird has blossomed! He is very busy, very vocal and has actually made the decision to trust me! Last night he hopped aboard the Hipcricket Highway and I moved about the cage from toy to toy. He played with beads and wood and paper and bells and ate seed from my palm! Today he came TOWARDS ME - instead of away while out of the cage. He even got brave enough to beak the foraging toy I got him (that up to now he only gave the stink eye)! But the absolutely sweetest thing to date happened this evening. I was feeding him some millet treat and he was half on and half off my hand. I was talking to him and he was cooing. He started head bobbing and I swear this! He took a seed and tucked it into my fingers! Like he was feeding me! Well, either that or I really am becoming that crazy bird lady. lol Anyways, I’m just ridiculously happy over even the smallest show of trust and this week has been a banner! Such a big personality this tiny bird is getting! I am completely smitten.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
So sweet! I'm really glad that he's doing so well! :heart:

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
My little guy is growing up so fast! His throat spots are coming in, his cere is a violet color and he is very active now! We are eating some fresh foods now, we will step up (when we want to) and we love to play paper shreds! We chase around after the paper and grab it with foot! We shred it ant peck at it and generally destroy it. Babalooey now goes for “rides” on my hand, toy to toy, gently beaking them and sometimes my fingers too! Things are really going well. Still haven’t figured out how to entice him to bathe though! Dirty bird! 5AB84021-E8E1-4239-8590-54C012AA574A.jpeg