• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Patent raised Maxi

cm16600

Meeting neighbors
Hi,
In about a month I will be picking up a 6month old female Maxi that has not been hand raised, as it is forbidden in my country. I believe I will have a very shy bird. It will be a 16 h ride by car on the way home. Should I cover her during the ride or should it be an opportunity for her to get to know our family. Also, I intend to use a sleeping cage, I believe it can be challenging as she won t be tame. Should I wait with the sleeping cage until I mange to click train her? Any advices is appreciated.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Any bird can be tamed, regardless of how they where raised ;-)

i would not cover the cage, let her see whats happening. Imagine, someone abducts you from your place, put a sack over your head and takes you for a 16 hour drive.

just make sure there’s food and water. Make stops along the ride to allow her to eat and drink.

cm16600

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Jh81. I was wondering how to tackle the sleeping cage, as the main cage will be in the living room,but I’ll introduce her to the cage later on.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
My pi’s dont have a sleeping cage. They spend a lot of time outside the cage, so i dont consider it a problem. I hope that in timethey can go in an outside aviary, especially when i return to fulltime working :)

also, what country are you in? :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Ahh yes, then you fall under (most of the same) laws as i do. Hand raising parrots have been forbidden for a while, its a good thing if you ask me :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would partially cover the travel cage so she can make a choice about whether she wants to see out of it or not.

Make sure you provide water for her. A bowl will spill and she probably won't know how to drink from a water bottle, so I would provide some chopped cucumber, watermelon and other fruit and veg with a high water content. You will need to change these every few hours, so pack extra in a cool bag with some icepacks to keep them fresh.