• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Patch's Story

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
When I first saw Patch, I wasn’t even sure she was alive. She was just a small heap of green feathers sitting atop the pine shavings in the huge flight. I almost didn’t see her. I’d volunteered to help clean cages at a parrot “rescue” and started with the lovebirds.
I moved the sack of fresh shavings, and she feebly staggered out of my way. Without hesitating, I scooped her up in my hand and held her close to my chest. She didn’t weigh anything, she could hardly lift her head, and she was so very cold. She didn’t put up any struggle. She just closed her eyes and fell asleep in my hand.
Emotions in a mess, I went back to cleaning the flight with only one hand, my other cradling the tiny wisp of life I’d found.
I finished up and moved on to the cockatiel flight, bringing the lovebird with me. The lady owning the place entered to see the progress and noticed Patch. “She didn’t look well.” I understated.
The lady frowned and sighed, “She’s just old. The other birds fly down and feed her, so she gets along.”
My head screamed at my heart: Put her down. You are not in any position to be able to help right now! But I knew beyond any doubt that if I left her there, she would not survive. She’d probably be gone come morning. I figured she would be regardless, but was determined to get her somewhere warm where she could at least spend her last hours in comfort. “Can I take her home?” I asked.
Hours later, I dashed about preparing the hospital cage at QT area back at my own home. Within a few minutes, Patch was settled in the glass tank, towels rolled and piled around her, a tiny purple bunny plush for her to snuggle up against. I couldn’t help but berate myself. I was supposed to think of my flock first, and as far as I could see this was not beneficial to them. Something inside me kept repeating, “There’s no hope. There’s no hope.” Patch was too thin, her keel sticking out like a knife with sides more sunken than I’d ever seen. One toe on her right foot looked terribly infected and both her feet were deformed. She was, as far as I could tell, completely blind from cataracts in both eyes, and there was an alarming click noise every time she exhaled. I hurried to administer all the first-aid care I could think of, and then turned to AA to admit what I’d done. I thought for sure I’d shed more tears than were possible while writing the post, but far more came while I read the heartfelt responses. Through bleary eyes, I looked at Patch. She was eating the millet and pellets that I’d positioned right beneath her beak. It was clearly a struggle, but she was doing it. That little bundle of feathers wanted to live, and she had plenty of people rooting for her. There was no more room for questioning: I had to do everything in my power to make sure she had the best chance possible given the situation.
After a few emails, it was arranged for her to see an avian vet. The lady who gave Patch to me took full responsibility of the transportation and fees, apologizing more than once for neglecting to notice Patch’s plight. She was willing to help rectify the ill, and I chose not to hold it against her. For ten days after the visit, I gave her a dose of Baytril and some hand-feeding formula twice a day.
Now, three weeks after I first brought her home, Patch is a completely different bird. She’s alive. I’ve never seen a bird turn away so quickly after getting so close to the rainbow bridge. She’s no longer in a hospital cage, and every day I’m amazed by how much energy she has.
Despite the fact that both her feet are deformed, she runs around with the cutest little penguin hop. I believe she can see a little through her right eye because of how she tilts and turns her head when she’s out playing and exploring. She loves to cuddle, loves to get scritches, and has plenty of the famous lovebird attitude. As far as she’s concerned, there is nothing different about her.
When I brought her home, I had my expectations low. But I should never have doubted her. She has taught me so much of strength and tenacity as she’s wriggled her way into my heart and made herself comfortable there.
Thank you, Patch. Here’s to many more wonderful memories and lessons to come.

DSCF8874.jpg

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Wow! :sad11: What a story! :heart: So glad she spoke to your heart and you listened!:hug8:

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
bless you fot giving her a chance of life hope your keeping her not sending her back to the rescue

i remember the day you brought her home i didnt post but was very proud of you

reading this today i been crying tears of joy god bless you may your rewards come ten times fold give patches a hug for me shes sweet

god bless doll

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
:hug8::heart: Wonderful!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a wonderful, heartwarming story..bless you for saving her life and giving this little wonderful birdie a chance at life and love.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
That is a GREAT story. I love Patch...and you are her hero. :heart:

Tigra

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Wendy
What a beautiful Story :heart: What a wonderful person you are for giving Patch a new life :hug8:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Patch :heart: I'm so glad she's doing better! She did deserve to live.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was meant to be:)So glad patch has you in her life now.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Yayyy Patch!! :heart: Thank you for wanting her. :heart:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
You have done a wonderful job with her. Thank you for caring and giving Patch a chance.:heart:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Jasmine, all I can say is 'thank you'. Patch needed love and hope and you showed it to her, she liked it and didnt want to leave you, so she got better. Go and enjoy your 'little patch of felt'. Also, she is very pretty

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:sad11: Thank you for saving little Patch :hug8:

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
What a great story...it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for saving Patch. It's wonderful to have such caring people in this world. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You are a wonderful person and I am so happy for the both of you.

Ginger

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Glad to hear she's doing so well.:hug8:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name