• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Patagonian conure

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I'm thinking of bringing home a patty. She is under a year old so that makes me a bit nervous, and unfortunately I don't have the chance to meet her unless I fly across the country. I did video chat with her however and was so charmed by her!

I have never had a bird larger than a Pyrrhura conure so the size and loudness is definitely out of my comfort zone. :roflmao: I do know that they are VERY loud, one of the loudest birds out there, so I know what I'm getting into. I'm not exceptionally sound sensitive (excluding the high pitched calls of sun conures) and listened to a bunch of youtube videos on blast - I'm pretty sure I can handle it, but my main concern is how other, more quiet birds might handle the noise...

I'll be bringing home a CBC next month as well and have a quiet lovie. I heard that other birds can sometimes get stressed or sick of being around patties because of their calls! :wideyed: Not sure how true this is but does anyone have any insight? I'm a little worried a patty might stress both of them out.

My lovie barely makes any noise and only calls occasionally in the morning if at all - so I'm not sure how she'll handle another super loud bird. (Though, last month the fire alarm went off for about 5 mins a day for an entire week - the speaker is in her room and she wasn't even phased by it.) Would love any opinions/thoughts from others!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I brought home a Goffins Too and my other birds had a very hard time with the noise as well as the other people in the house ... Depending on how much this bird screams you may run into issues :strhng:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
my gcc has always been quiet and was 7 when the loud screaming quakers came. Now she joins in ;)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The patis I've met have been AMAZING but could be loud. However, loud is relative. I've had some birds that others would undoubtedly describe as loud in terms of decibels. However, they weren't noisy, meaning frequently vocalizing. There loudness wasn't a problem for me. I'll take macaws or 'toos over sun conures any day. The patis I've known have been cuddly and charming; sometimes, I regret not getting one. They're getting increasingly hard to find, same with bronze winged pionus.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I would question why you are bringing in multiple species in a short period of time…. Haven’t gotten the second bird and already pondering the third. It’s easier to keep a flock that speak the same bird language.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd honestly consult an audiologist. Really loud species are best kept in the wild, zoos or palatial dwellings that few of us have, so people can get physically away from the noise, IMO. Noise may not bother you, but your hearing can still be damaged.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I've wanted a Patti for 20yr now... Tho I have really not been around them much, I thought their 'loudness' was of a lower pitch than most others. Certainly NOT a blasting loudness!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
When I volunteereed at The Gabriel Foundation the Patagonians had a separate room to themselves. And yes they did have enough to fill a room because they are often surrendered due to their loudness. It is really important to keep them busy so they don't start a habit of screaming.
But you asked if the noise might bother other birds. It is possible, and TGF separated them at least partly for this reason, just like cockatoos had their own room because of dust. They are a flocking bird so this is another reason to group them.
They are a wonderful companion and the staff enjoyed them a lot.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I would question why you are bringing in multiple species in a short period of time…. Haven’t gotten the second bird and already pondering the third. It’s easier to keep a flock that speak the same bird language.
I would not be bringing the patty home until mid-August at the earliest! The family I would be getting her from is moving abroad in September. But because this is a big decision for me I wanted to start thinking about it, researching in advance, and being mentally prepared if it does happen :)

The CBC is coming home with me earlier, next month, so we will have half a year of transition time if I do end up adopting the patty! I volunteer and hang around a lot of conures and used to have a pearly who was my heart bird. Since she passed I haven't had it in me to adopt another, but I am emotionally ready now and miss waking up to see their little faces so much :shy:

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
When I volunteereed at The Gabriel Foundation the Patagonians had a separate room to themselves. And yes they did have enough to fill a room because they are often surrendered due to their loudness. It is really important to keep them busy so they don't start a habit of screaming.
But you asked if the noise might bother other birds. It is possible, and TGF separated them at least partly for this reason, just like cockatoos had their own room because of dust. They are a flocking bird so this is another reason to group them.
They are a wonderful companion and the staff enjoyed them a lot.
I remember seeing 4-5 patties up for adoption from them a few years ago and was shocked that there were so many! :eek: That's unfortunate but certainly explains why they aren't that common in the US.

If adopting her is in the books I had planned on converting one of the rooms into a DIY indoor aviary with a bunch of toys/perches open floor - I work from home as well so I don't think keeping her busy will be too big of an issue. But birds will be birds so I still expect her to sound off a lot anyway :lol: Separating her would not be most ideal because she'd be isolated from the rest of the flock, but I anticipate she'd be out most of the day or in their vicinity anyway. But yes there is some concern for the quieter fids. Lots to think about - thanks for your perspective!!

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I'd honestly consult an audiologist. Really loud species are best kept in the wild, zoos or palatial dwellings that few of us have, so people can get physically away from the noise, IMO. Noise may not bother you, but your hearing can still be damaged.
I've always been curious how the ears of the folks who have noisy 'toos are doing :roflmao: I'll look into it - thanks!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don’t remember the name of this member and they haven’t posted in a very long time. Pretty sure it was a woman that had a Patagonian and she did free flight with her bird. She shared some awesome photos. Maybe one of the other members here can remember better than me.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Found her… it’s been a couple years since she posted. She also has a blue and gold macaw. Her screen name is Ella.pi

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Found her… it’s been a couple years since she posted. She also has a blue and gold macaw. Her screen name is Ella.pi
Thank you for tracking that down :heart: What a fantastic read!! I love what she did with the free flight, it's breathtaking!

I've always been too nervous to attempt free flight, but the place I'm moving into has a HUGE backyard... it would be super fun to section off a big space with tall wooden posts, netting, and a few bird trees. Getting a lot of ideas and too far ahead of myself...:wacky: :lol:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you for tracking that down :heart: What a fantastic read!! I love what she did with the free flight, it's breathtaking!

I've always been too nervous to attempt free flight, but the place I'm moving into has a HUGE backyard... it would be super fun to section off a big space with tall wooden posts, netting, and a few bird trees. Getting a lot of ideas and too far ahead of myself...:wacky: :lol:
I know I would never attempt free flight. A few other members ( at least a couple I know of) that did take their birds out have not been back for some while so I wonder if they even have their birds anymore because of free flying. I have a lot of hawks in my area and sometimes find a pile of feathers in my back yard from a kill

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

We had a member Stevo who unfortunately hasn't posted in years but he had a Green Wing Macaw and a Yellow Naped Amazon and that's exactly what he did in his backyard. There's some pics in this thread and I know he did many others if you just search under his name :)

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow!! This is amazing and some great inspiration :wideyed: Thank you!
Of course! I wish he and his wife still posted they had the coolest set up

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Have you tried a 'conversation' w/ her? Would show up at her email.
No I haven’t. The person inquiring about Patagonian’s could if they wanted to know more about the traits and calls. I saw flocks of them on a wild life program and thought how beautiful they were in the wild.