• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pasta, when is too much?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco has come a long way in the last five months, I'm a happy mom.

He now loves veggie pasta and will pick it over veggies. How do I know what is too much?

I know what's good for CAG's but not sure about portions, how many times a week.

Now he tosses his sweet potato....sigh.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Veggie pasta cooked?

I give Buddy often, 1/2 -1 veggie beet pasta noodle but uncooked. & 1/2 - 1 egg noodle uncooked.

I use these as treats. Sometimes I break & sometimes I don't. This is the anti screaming treat. Prior to this summer he'd get q couple of egg noodles a week. Now being that these are uncooked, he isn't making it all into his stomach. I believe I almost have the situation resolved. Then it won't be every day.

If it's real veggie pasta like Cybeles, I'd think its less than an issue than a wheat flour or rice pasta.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I also give Lola and Henry Cybeles pasta (cooked) chopped very small and mixed in with their cooked grain/vegetables. It is high in protein, I limit the amount I mix in. My portions of cooked food are fairly big but they only eat what they can and there's always plenty left over. On the side on top of that mix is a teaspoon or more of the veggie mix I make with the cooked Butternut squash, carrot, sweet potato, fresh apple (cooked) all mashed together with ceylon cinnamon to flavor. They do favor the veggie mash but also eat some of the other. If I fed vegetables separately as small chunks they wouldn't touch it. Today I roasted golden beets and acorn squash... mashed some of the beets and mixed it with some of the acorn squash with some ceylon cinnamon. It had an earthy taste to it that I wasn't sure they would eat so I pulled some of the other frozen mix out and broke a couple chunks off, thawed it and added it to double the amount of the beets and squash so it would taste similar. It was well received! This is the latest Cybeles I bought and am using until what I've cooked and frozen runs out then I'll do the beet pasta next to switch it up a bit.

KHFM00307938-0.jpg

P1010148.jpg

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks for everyone's input. They are such funny birds, love something one week and toss it the next. Paco is 19 and I know he did not have a healthy diet at all. He wouldn't even touch pasta now he loves it. I keep introducing new foods and repeat old ones even if he turns his "nose" up at them. Sigh....its quite an adventure.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also give Lola and Henry Cybeles pasta (cooked) chopped very small and mixed in with their cooked grain/vegetables. It is high in protein, I limit the amount I mix in. My portions of cooked food are fairly big but they only eat what they can and there's always plenty left over. On the side on top of that mix is a teaspoon or more of the veggie mix I make with the cooked Butternut squash, carrot, sweet potato, fresh apple (cooked) all mashed together with ceylon cinnamon to flavor. They do favor the veggie mash but also eat some of the other. If I fed vegetables separately as small chunks they wouldn't touch it. Today I roasted golden beets and acorn squash... mashed some of the beets and mixed it with some of the acorn squash with some ceylon cinnamon. It had an earthy taste to it that I wasn't sure they would eat so I pulled some of the other frozen mix out and broke a couple chunks off, thawed it and added it to double the amount of the beets and squash so it would taste similar. It was well received! This is the latest Cybeles I bought and am using until what I've cooked and frozen runs out then I'll do the beet pasta next to switch it up a bit.

View attachment 314781

View attachment 314782

That earthy taste Buddy seems almost drawn to it w/ certain things. Some sprouts & certain veggies...

That squash & beets sounds yummy. Now I may pickuo a beet if they have any when I shop. See what you started! :wacky:

How do they like the white pasta? Have you tasted it, if so is it kind of bland? I was thinking of trying that one next, but I may try it & was just wondering...

Thanks for everyone's input. They are such funny birds, love something one week and toss it the next. Paco is 19 and I know he did not have a healthy diet at all. He wouldn't even touch pasta now he loves it. I keep introducing new foods and repeat old ones even if he turns his "nose" up at them. Sigh....its quite an adventure.
This is just my opinion... Anything that draws them in to eat more veggies, the better. If the pasta is chopped up like Andrea mentioned, if it draws Paco in & he just licks a veggie, it may cause him to think... Hmmm that tastes good maybe I'll eat one. The next thing you know he's always eating something in that bowl. It takes time but as long as he doesnt apoear fat, your ok. Have you gotten him to step up every time you ask yet?

If you have its time to try to step up on a kitchen scale. Put masking tape or paper tape on it so its not to slippery. Great way to actually know he's eating or not.

Buddy's chirping from above me for his dinner so I've got to run. How's the new job going???
:hug8:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That earthy taste Buddy seems almost drawn to it w/ certain things. Some sprouts & certain veggies...

That squash & beets sounds yummy. Now I may pickuo a beet if they have any when I shop. See what you started! :wacky:

How do they like the white pasta? Have you tasted it, if so is it kind of bland? I was thinking of trying that one next, but I may try it & was just wondering...

I did taste the pasta. It doesn't have a specific flavor, probably because of the cauliflower. I cook it, then give it a rinse in cool water and drain it, then bag it in ziplock bags to freeze. It doesn't take much to thaw. I'll chop 2-3 pieces up and mix it in with my grain blend. Sometimes they won't try a new shape or color so it's easier for me to get them to try new foods if I sneak it in with small amounts in a batch of ingredients. I freeze different items separately so I can change a meal up. I pull several bags from the freezer... alittle of this ...alittle of that... and fresh chopped ( minced...I make it hard for them pick through for favorites) veggies.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Boo booed up the quote.. you'll have to see what I wrote in the expanded quote. :wacky:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Paco has come a long way in the last five months, I'm a happy mom.

He now loves veggie pasta and will pick it over veggies. How do I know what is too much?

I know what's good for CAG's but not sure about portions, how many times a week.

Now he tosses his sweet potato....sigh.
When he shouts out " mama mia, I can't believe I ate the whole thing! " then you'll know..!! Itsa Italian....foogetta about it!!! Lol..

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Hawk12237
:rofl:

@Mockinbirdiva
Ty for telling me to read it... Totally shot & basically not reading. I didn't even think to read the quote till you mentioned it. I thought it might not taste like much as I've noticed that when you cook w/ cauliflower it either gets over taken & becomes the dish's flavor or tastes like nothing. Hmmmm, maybe another treat noodle, I'd have to try it cooked. I still haven't tried the beet one. Lol, funny how his stuff... I don't always eat, if I can get him to eat it w/ out me :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Pamela Clark just came out with a really good article on atherosclerosis and basically stated that pasta is one of the no nos, especially for greys whose leading cause of death is heart related. I'm not sure what is in the veggie pasta or the lentil pasta. My guys all love the lentil pasta from Birds Eye. The bag says it's just lentils...I would think that would be a win win. Anything that's made from wheat, I would steer clear of but I do wonder about anything that is processed enough to make a noodle out of.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My guys all love the lentil pasta from Birds Eye. The bag says it's just lentils...I would think that would be a win win.
I'm hoping it is. I have one that loves his pasta type food. I'm going to check out some of the Felicia Organic Pastas; they have buckwheat, mung, chickpea, lentils, etc.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Looks like a healthy choice, Thanks!
There's another flavor of Cybele's I haven't found yet that has butternut squash, red lentil and pumpkin.... the other two I buy at Kroger but haven't seen this one in their store yet.. I want it! I'm looking forward to pumpkin season!!!

I love that there are only three ingredients in these pastas and nothing else added.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's apparently 5 total. I remembered (I thought) a green one.

Images @
Pasta | Cybele's Free to Eat

There's also a 2nd red one...

Each one seems to be loaded w/ stuff & according to their website is also sold on Amazon.com.
That's where I remembered the green one from.

Here's their ingredients for the 5 pasta's. This is directly from their website.

Our Superfood Green is a mix of Green Lentils, Kale, Broccoli, and Spinach.

Our Superfood Orange is a mix of Red Lentils, Pumpkin and Butternut Squash.

Our Superfood Red is a mix of Red Lentils, Red Bell Pepper and Tomato.

Our Superfood Purple is a mix of Red Lentils, Beet, Carrot and Sweet Potato.

Our Superfood White is a mix of Green Lentils, Cauliflower and Parsnip.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
The box states its spinach and tomato pasta, he loves the cauliflower rice.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I picked up this Pasta @ the store when I was grocery shopping. I'm letting everyone know this is not Durrito's. :sneaky:

20190915_225309.jpg

20190915_225241.jpg

20190915_225543.jpg

Sorry about the glare back from my flash.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Rain Bow Thanks for the input. I do keep offering him a variety of foods. I am going to try sprouts next. He is stepping up pretty good. He now slides to the floor and waddles around. I have put stepping up on hold as my right arm is still in a purple cast and he hates it, although the other day he stepped up on it. I was trying to show him it wouldn't hurt him LOL.

The job is ok, its boring, hope it picks up soon. I'm grateful I have one.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not feeling to well tonight, so I'm doing a bunch of reading & not posting. Look in the pasta aisles in the grocery & look for different veggie pasta, if it has wheat move on. The other place they sneak these pasta's into is Gluten free & organic. @ least where I live.

:gbh: