• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pascal

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
When they are young and getting adult feathers, it is a gradual process.
Do you see new tail feathers? they are easy to spot when they fly and the new yellow tips are on a dark background (the older feathers).
No new tail feathers that I see yet. The tips of his tail are mostly red with a little bit of yellow so I'm interested to see if they come back that way or just yellow! Just now when I was rubbing his head I got covered in white flakes haha I'm wondering if I should do baths every day now instead of every other day to help his skin out.. I need to get a new aloe plant because he mauled it to death when I wasnt looking.. i read that aloe spritzes can help them feel better when they are molting

Attachments

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Is he making noise the entire time with that big mouth open? lol

It will be a very bold yellow line when they come in (or sometimes slighly orange depending on sub species). Trying to get a photo over here. These are the best I can do as he is doing his 'tantrum' right now- where he plays super hard and stays in flight for the majority of 10 minutes....- repeats his flight pattern (40ft x20 ft) over and over until his energy is all gone. Then its cuddle time and nap. Just like a 2 yr old child.

As you can see, the middle feather is bright yellow and much shorter. I watch the tail feathers to ensure there are no further stress bars since he got here.
You can see there are two stress bars from when he was super young on the left)
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.02.41 PM.png

Another view so you can see how short it is in comparison. It will keep growing to full length.
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.02.51 PM.png

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Is he making noise the entire time with that big mouth open? lol

It will be a very bold yellow line when they come in (or sometimes slighly orange depending on sub species). Trying to get a photo over here. These are the best I can do as he is doing his 'tantrum' right now- where he plays super hard and stays in flight for the majority of 10 minutes....- repeats his flight pattern (40ft x20 ft) over and over until his energy is all gone. Then its cuddle time and nap. Just like a 2 yr old child.

As you can see, the middle feather is bright yellow and much shorter. I watch the tail feathers to ensure there are no further stress bars since he got here.
You can see there are two stress bars from when he was super young on the left)
View attachment 332659

Another view so you can see how short it is in comparison. It will keep growing to full length.
View attachment 332660
Yes he is pretty much non stop noise right now haha.. he has one tail feather that's about to fall out but I dont see any new feathers on it yet. His tail is so raggedy! And his back side is covered in stress bars so I'm hopeful that when his new feathers come in he will be much brighter and not covered anymore so I know I'm doing right for him!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
You are doing right!

You are doing amazing- funny that he is loud... by noise do you mean talking or screaming? ... that is a bit peculiar, but every bird is different. He might be starting to lose some feathers and it feels uncomfortable to get pin feathers (I know I would be complain too). He could also be hyper..... needs an oulet, have you tried recall training?

Please dont spray your bird with Aloe- ill explain:
Aloe is in fact a moisturizer of sorts, especially for human epidermis. Aloe if not absorbed, creates a film- it is sticky and disgusting.
But the birds feathers are basically a shield for the skin- no relevant absorption.

By spraying a bird with it, you are creating a film on the feathers (not the skin), that can in fact induce over preening (close to plucking). It can also make feathers brittle as the uropygial gland produces a substance to enable waterproofing and flexibility. Aloe could cause the stress bars to split- which would inhibit flying.

There used to be a bunch of products on the market about 6 years ago that have since been pulled- for good reason.

The only things that should be on the feathers is water and the birds own preening solution ;)

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
You are doing right!

You are doing amazing- funny that he is loud... by noise do you mean talking or screaming? ... that is a bit peculiar, but every bird is different. He might be starting to lose some feathers and it feels uncomfortable to get pin feathers (I know I would be complain too). He could also be hyper..... needs an oulet, have you tried recall training?

Please dont spray your bird with Aloe- ill explain:
Aloe is in fact a moisturizer of sorts, especially for human epidermis. Aloe if not absorbed, creates a film- it is sticky and disgusting.
But the birds feathers are basically a shield for the skin- no relevant absorption.

By spraying a bird with it, you are creating a film on the feathers (not the skin), that can in fact induce over preening (close to plucking). It can also make feathers brittle as the uropygial gland produces a substance to enable waterproofing and flexibility. Aloe could cause the stress bars to split- which would inhibit flying.

There used to be a bunch of products on the market about 6 years ago that have since been pulled- for good reason.

The only things that should be on the feathers is water and the birds own preening solution ;)
He isnt really screaming.. he was talking a bit before but has stopped now to just make his little squawk.. it's usually two little squeak squeaks.. sometimes two loud squeaks.. he is screaming when it comes to feeding time though now haha he sees me start making it and starts screaming at me and then flies to the kitchen to investigate. The other noise isn't really loud except when hes in my ear.. so hes not really LOUD.. just much louder than he was before

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I didnt know your bird was clipped. Did the breeder do that?
That clip is a heavy job. Nowadays they do cliping much differently to maintain the wing.

Dimitri is not a rescue (that I rehab and rehome)- he is my forever. He was born on Christmas- so a bit younger than yours. But extremely advanced.
I picked him up early to finish the hand feeding myself- drove 16 hours there and 16 hrs back. Thank goodness I did because he was overly fortified- note also his 'red' feathers where they should be green? (around his neck). Immediately switched his diet and he is doing much better.

He is sleeping in this photo so a bit fluffed- but you can see the stress bars.

That tail is indeed tattered. That can happen especially when they are young and in cages that are too small before they develop dexterity or step in their own feces and get 'washed' (often with soap and water to remove stuck on mess- bad). They will molt out.
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 1.20.54 PM.png

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
He isnt really screaming.. he was talking a bit before but has stopped now to just make his little squawk.. it's usually two little squeak squeaks.. sometimes two loud squeaks.. he is screaming when it comes to feeding time though now haha he sees me start making it and starts screaming at me and then flies to the kitchen to investigate. The other noise isn't really loud except when hes in my ear.. so hes not really LOUD.. just much louder than he was before
He is prolly trying to communicate now-

Dimitri says 'hello' when he poops (dont ask me why). Quite a few greek words, 'wow' and 'oops', and most importantly: meows like a cat, barks like a dog, and unfortunately mimics my loud laugh..... But lots of gunts and sometimes he goes on a tangent and tests his vocal chords.... but that maybe just once every other day for 2 minutes when my husband and myself are speaking loudly.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I didnt know your bird was clipped. Did the breeder do that?
That clip is a heavy job. Nowadays they do cliping much differently to maintain the wing.

Dimitri is not a rescue (that I rehab and rehome)- he is my forever. He was born on Christmas- so a bit younger than yours. But extremely advanced.
I picked him up early to finish the hand feeding myself- drove 16 hours there and 16 hrs back. Thank goodness I did because he was overly fortified- note also his 'red' feathers where they should be green? (around his neck). Immediately switched his diet and he is doing much better.

He is sleeping in this photo so a bit fluffed- but you can see the stress bars.

That tail is indeed tattered. That can happen especially when they are young and in cages that are too small before they develop dexterity or step in their own feces and get 'washed' (often with soap and water to remove stuck on mess- bad). They will molt out.
View attachment 332672
Yes she clipped him. I specifically asked her not to and didnt find out she did until I picked him up. Honestly it just seemed like he was flying around and it was annoying her.. he still flies now and very well but I cant wait for him to get all his flight feathers back to where they should be. He has a good amount of control so I feel like it will be even better when they come in. I really feel bad for him.. the breeder answered all the questions I had in a way that made me comfortable and seemed trustworthy.. but in the end.. not so much. She told me she weaned on fresh only and he was on pellets with occasional fresh food because she said he didnt like it.. she said she wouldnt clip him and did.. after I picked him up I was still updating her on how he was doing in the beginning. When she heard he wasnt letting me pick him up or anything (in the first few days) she told me to force him to step up, that he wasnt allowed out of his cage without stepping up.. to force his foot up off the porch onto my hand and hold down his feet so he couldn't go anywhere.. and a few other things that I didnt agree with.. so I'm sure he had a time over there.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He is prolly trying to communicate now-

Dimitri says 'hello' when he poops (dont ask me why). Quite a few greek words, 'wow' and 'oops', and most importantly: meows like a cat, barks like a dog, and unfortunately mimics my loud laugh..... But lots of gunts and sometimes he goes on a tangent and tests his vocal chords.... but that maybe just once every other day for 2 minutes when my husband and myself are speaking loudly.
Dimitri looks so cute and sweet! That's how he was before with vocalizations. It was condensed into a few times a day and he was saying pretty boy and what are you doing and working on other things.. now hes just squeaking at me all day between those sessions

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
he was saying pretty boy and what are you doing and working on other things.. now hes just squeaking at me all day between those sessions
He is just getting older- and hormones will soon (if not now) start kicking in. She doesnt sound like the most ideal person- but at least you know more than most people who buy young birds. Many will buy from 'bird brokers' unknowingly, so they dont know the actual breeder.

Are you home more often now? does he know you are in the house- but you are not paying attention to him?

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yes I am home all day now.. I used to get out atleast once sometimes twice a day so he wasnt used to me being home all day everyday. I have an 8 month old so with all the craziness happening we've been home for 2 weeks and now our state is doing the "shelter in place" until june 10th so we are stuck here

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I didnt mean that to come off wrong-
But often Ekkies will make more noise if they can hear or see you but you are doing something else....
Dimitri flies around the house throwing pens if I try to write things as he wants to play 'tag'

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I didnt mean that to come off wrong-
But often Ekkies will make more noise if they can hear or see you but you are doing something else....
Dimitri flies around the house throwing pens if I try to write things as he wants to play 'tag'
Didnt sound bad haha I understood what you were saying

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Yes I am home all day now.. I used to get out atleast once sometimes twice a day so he wasnt used to me being home all day everyday. I have an 8 month old so with all the craziness happening we've been home for 2 weeks and now our state is doing the "shelter in place" until june 10th so we are stuck here
That makes sense- especially with the young one...
Be prepared that Pascal will learn to cry like a baby! HAHA!

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm not sure what to do about sleep.. do any of you cover cages at night? We have an inconsistent bed time, plus my husband wakes up anywhere between 330and 430 for work in the mornings. Pascals cage is the only place it can be in the house, which is in the main living area. Theres no way for me to put it anywhere else unfortunately.. I feel like its wearing him down. I would like to get another cage for him in a different room as a sleeping cage but with everything going on right now finances dont allow it.. right now the only thing I can think to do is either cover his cage and use a rain machine on a low volume to drown out noise or use his travel cage in a different room but it is so small! I'm not sure which one would be better.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Cover the cage, I recommend magnetic covers, like this one:

That way some light can filter through, but generally helps him from being disturbed. Dimitri is in the living room as well, Im up by 6am, but he doesnt get up till 7:30ish. That way I can still get dishes done, etc. Just remember- there is no 'total silence' or 'total darkness' in the wild.

Edit: bird do get night frights. I dont recommend the travel carrier. Dont overthink it ;)

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Cover the cage, I recommend magnetic covers, like this one:

That way some light can filter through, but generally helps him from being disturbed. Dimitri is in the living room as well, Im up by 6am, but he doesnt get up till 7:30ish. That way I can still get dishes done, etc. Just remember- there is no 'total silence' or 'total darkness' in the wild.

Edit: bird do get night frights. I dont recommend the travel carrier. Dont overthink it ;)
I'll have to get one of those.. I just feel bad because my husband is incapable of being quiet so hes up banging around the house at 330 and 430am.. and we go to bed between 9 and 11.. if I cover him hopefully that will help!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I completely understand, my husband normally gets up at 4:30.... Im not sure how he makes such a racket!
The cover will help, and it can be used on any metal surface, easy to remove and doesn't frighten even skiddish birds (like a cover over the top does)