• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pascal

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm trying to figure out what all I am looking at in these bags! I will have to do this because I am worried about not having enough food and not being able to find more. I have gone to the store so many times but it is always cleared out when I get there or what's there looks old as dirt.
This funny (old) photo plus more-
You will generally easily find blueberries, mango, strawberries, butternut squash, cranberries, green beans, zuchini- etc all frozen :)
Just make sure it is 'no salt added' and the only ingredients are the produce and water.

When it says 'boiled' they are done in the microwave- saves oodles of time.
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 12.21.06 PM.png

Edit: usually anything people make 'pies' out of. If it looks old- might just be frost burn on the bag?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Sometimes you have to get creative: They had fresh 'broccoli slaw' (people use it in place of cabbage)... I put it on tinfoil and froze it (so the pieces are individual). I just added it to the bags. I just add a bit more each day of whatever I find that is viable- that way the bags change over time- but never run out. My husband bought a tiny mini freezer to store it in.

This is what serving looks like... Pretty random- but nutritionally complete.
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 2.12.30 PM.png

Attachments

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Are there any foods that you dont freeze because they dont do well when thawing? Save me some trial and error :lol: there are a few things I found that just seem super squishy and unappealing when thawed.. like bell peppers and spinach leaves for example.. the spinach turned into terrible mush and the bell peppers seemed rubbery when thawed

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Things I have found that dont thaw well:
Greens of any kind: carrot tops, spinach, kale, microgreens (microgreens was a expensive fail), herbs, etc
Peppers: I never really noticed the 'rubbery' texture- maybe Dimitri has? but he hasnt said anything to me ;)
High water content: Not saying it isnt possible, but these are tricky:
Watermelon (but other melons are fine)
Cucumbers
Oranges (but kumquats are fine in slices)

If things get mushy- that is not a problem, your little monster may not care?
Here is what I put together this morning, some things that were left over in my fridge.
What you need: knife, ziplock bags (resealable as you will be adding to the bags- almost daily)

Step 1: Cut up whatever you have on hand. Put in freezer until frozen.
This it what it looks like before freezing:
From left to right:Yams, zucchini, green beans, banana, carrots and sweet potato (cooked), gooseberries and thai chili, blue berries, mango, kiwi, red bell, broccoli slivers
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 9.22.50 AM.png

Step 2: To this I add pieces of stuff I have frozen premade from the supermarket (I chop it frozen): Cranberries, Jackfruit, Papaya, Pineapple, Cherries, Peas, Strawberries
This is what it looks like when I put it in bags (use multiple bags- in this case I used two bags):

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 9.40.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 9.44.49 AM.png

Step 3:
Later today, I will add to these bags after I make meals for my hubby and I. *Frozen in the same manner, add to each bag.
Butternut squash (leftover from dinner trimmings)
Brussel Sprouts (leftover from dinner trimmings)
Quinoa (because I will make it for lunch)
Apple (leftovers from my breakfast)

Step 4:
Tomorrow I may ad:
Plum pieces (from breakfast)
Corn (from dinner)
Cooked cauliflower (from dinner)
Kidney beans (cooked from lunch)

*Frozen in the same manner, added to each bag, I will fluff up the bags to mix it together.

By adding a little to EACH bag a day- it never depletes (even though I remove from the bags each day). So I know that I will always have variety on hand. This takes the stress out of it. Of course I give fresh- but this is foolproof :)

This is the mini freezer I can store everything in- it was 160usd:
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 9.40.42 AM.png

Hope this helps!!! :birdance:

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Thief!
Straight out of the microwave and into the green goblins gullet! Lol

12B87141-7BEF-41D9-AB82-56EBE7CB61C0.jpeg
But this is a way to retain the most flavor/nutrition content: plate, dash water and microwave for 1 minute. :)

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
i bought a food dryer, i wanted a freezedryer because thats better, but they are still expensive as h... :(
Yeah, I looked into purchasing one- 3grand. There is a DIY method for it- I going to try it when im bored at some point- I cant post a link because it violate the terms of use on AA. But you can google it :)

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
For things like peas, green beans, brussel sprouts, and broccoli are you steaming/boiling/microwaving and then freezing it?

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
And are you just thawing it by putting it in the fridge the night before?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
For things like peas, green beans, brussel sprouts, and broccoli are you steaming/boiling/microwaving and then freezing it?
I do not- in the freezing/thawing process they soften just a bit.

And are you just thawing it by putting it in the fridge the night before?
Depends on the day: Thawing for the small amount goes fast at room temp (10 minutes?)
Thawing in the fridge overnight, sure.
I am always in a rush- so I often shove the 1/4 cup of goodies in the microwave for 20 seconds o_O I just make sure there are no hot spots- but he likes it warm.
I replace my green machines food three times a day.

On top of his fresh food- Im not going to lie: he loves freeze dried veggies and fruit, some TOPS or Eclectus (wild) pellets (just a few a day as they are mostly alfalfa) a few seeds and nuts during training. I also give him fresh leaves of Moringa, herbs, dandilion, kale (but not collard greens), corn on the cobb as a treat, fresh aloe plant, occassional hard boiled egg, pandan and bannana leaves for foraging, Tulsi tea (he goes nuts over tulsi tea)- and sometimes what I am eating..... totally guilty. Im human, he is a bird. We blur the lines sometimes.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Well I had some success at the store today.. frozen: peas, green beans, corn, carrots,brussel sprouts, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango, grapes. Also found a zucchini and cucumber! Wooo. Oh and some pomegranate, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, bell pepper and a kiwi!

Last edited:

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I am stealing everyones ideas. Although I usually cook every day I now need to freeze some food for my birds. I have found for my own needs over the years, that waiting for food to cool down is important. Also keeping the food as dry as possible helps. Then putting it into the fridge to get cold for an hour, then into the freezer tends to help some things keep their integrity when frozen. Beans, for example aren't as mushy. We can't get pomegranate now. They do love it so I am learning new ways to get them to eat the food I can get.
If things get mushy my guys reject it but I read on here at some point that cooking is a way to help with what would be wasted. Fruit muffins or pies and veggie fritters don't need much cooking and you can freeze them. So greens still get used. Then again maybe its just my guys that are fussy. :banghead:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Well I had some success at the store today.. frozen: peas, green beans, corn, carrots,brussel sprouts, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango, grapes. Also found a zucchini and cucumber! Wooo. Oh and some pomegranate, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, bell pepper and a kiwi!
:super:

So happy for you! Your baby dinosaur will be so pleased!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@reffek94
Loving it!
You're such a good mini dragon mom!
I would eat that bowl- LOL
Look at that happy boy! So handsome :heart:

That perch is wonderful BTW- Easy grip for developing muscles. Kudos!
A little vitamin D day day keeps the doctor away ;)

With the diet you are feeding- those small barred feathers will molt out naturally. You will see a brilliant (almost opalesent) green come through with his adult feathers. Pascal is lucky to have you as a slave ;)

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@reffek94
Loving it!
You're such a good mini dragon mom!
I would eat that bowl- LOL
Look at that happy boy! So handsome :heart:

That perch is wonderful BTW- Easy grip for developing muscles. Kudos!
A little vitamin D day day keeps the doctor away ;)

With the diet you are feeding- those small barred feathers will molt out naturally. You will see a brilliant (almost opalesent) green come through with his adult feathers. Pascal is lucky to have you as a slave ;)
Thank you! I am trying really hard to give him everything he needs. Ive been hoping his stress bars would go away after he melts. I assume they are because he was fed mostly pellets and he was "trained" with a kind of aggressive approach.. Basically do everything I say or stay in your cage.... poor little man. But he is loving all things fresh now and enjoying the sunlight now that we are having nice weather! I have a perch I move around to different windows in the house that he enjoys as well!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Thank you! I am trying really hard to give him everything he needs. Ive been hoping his stress bars would go away after he melts. I assume they are because he was fed mostly pellets and he was "trained" with a kind of aggressive approach.. Basically do everything I say or stay in your cage.... poor little man. But he is loving all things fresh now and enjoying the sunlight now that we are having nice weather! I have a perch I move around to different windows in the house that he enjoys as well!
When people hand feed, it is common to have a stress bars.
Ekkies are very sensitive; the babies are often weak and stressed, so breeders often op for a 'high performance' formula, then wean onto pellets (like you would for a macaw).

Everything is overly fortified, and causes the liver to become stressed early in life. To date, there is not a 'perfect' formula for Eclectus as they are made for granivorius birds, and even when you use a better formula like Higgins Intune, it is too expensive for most breeders. Then weaning them onto pellets- TOPS is far to expensive for any breeders I talked too, many used Tropican high performance pellets and formula.

If care is given early to switch to a fresh diet, the new feathers that come in after the baby feathers molt out should have no stress bars.
It is a good idea to watch for new feathers to emerge.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Im wondering if he is starting his first real molt.. I know they can all react differently to molting. Yesterday and today he is SUPER needy! I can practically hear him thinking LOVE MEEEEEEEEE! :lol:he hasn't been very interested in his toys, he just wants to fly to me and sit on me.. and scream in my ear for me to rub his head. Hes also eating a lot more than normal! Does it sound like an ekkie molt? My others just turn into big jerks when they molt so I'm not used to this :loltears:
Edited to add hes also being much louder than usual!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
When they are young and getting adult feathers, it is a gradual process.
Do you see new tail feathers? they are easy to spot when they fly and the new yellow tips are on a dark background (the older feathers).