• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pascal

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The airflow can cause drying of skin on unbarred feathered birds. Which increases the probability for feather plucking dramatically.

If it has no heat, then that’s a different story but MOST dryers contain Teflon or are ion charged.

The feathers that are barred (wings) have a different heat distribution. Skin irritation happens quickly down the bar.

I’ve seen that book. I found quite a few in factual data points. Times change- scientific advancement gives us better perspective. I do have one cited source in my eclectus book from her- but it is a reference option part.

My parrots love peanuts- but knowing the risk for disease I stay away. But that’s just my two cents.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
People that make your own toys, what kind of paper do you use? I make wooden and rope toys but havent used paper. Pascal loves to shred so I wanted to make some toys with paper, but I dont know what kind I should use!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I've been cutting cardboard shapes for Monaco lately, and she's less scared of the crinkle paper, so I've been putting it in things. Newspaper or phone book paper. Just not glossy paper, I think...

Someone who knows more and has more ideas will post eventually.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
People that make your own toys, what kind of paper do you use? I make wooden and rope toys but havent used paper. Pascal loves to shred so I wanted to make some toys with paper, but I dont know what kind I should use!
I get all the stuff I make for my birdies including like crinkle paper off of www.makeyourownbirdtoys.com and www.cabirdnerds.com

If you mean like actual paper, I shred newspaper for them, all the ink is soy based. I also use just printer paper and large rolls of like butcher paper.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Well everyday now when I'm making dinner for him he flies onto my head or shoulder to investigate! He took a shower for the first time the other day, which he enjoyed! And he protests loudly every time I vacuum because apparently I'm not allowed to vacuum without misting him haha he has even let my husband pick him up the last few days. Progress!

Attachments

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Enjoying a blueberry! That is his favorite thing it seems! Anybody have any info on herbs and spices safe for ekkies? I remember reading about some somewhere on the forum but I cant remember where it was or what it said!

Attachments

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Enjoying a blueberry! That is his favorite thing it seems! Anybody have any info on herbs and spices safe for ekkies? I remember reading about some somewhere on the forum but I cant remember where it was or what it said!

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hes doing so well.. it is crazy to think how far we have come in such a short time. He was striking at us and not wanting anything to do with us just a month ago. Now I cant get him to leave me alone :lol: hes so sweet. He flies onto my shoulder (or head) every time I'm making a meal or snack for him. He loves it when I move the playstand around with me during the day. He sits by the bathroom window when I get ready in the morning. just a month ago I was worrying he was going to hate me for months at least! :loltears:

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He is so handsome.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Poor little buddy, there is a 1 year old eclectus for sale on craigslist near me. I've had 3 people send me the link to him. I hate craigslist!

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He is still doing so well! I think he is starting to get a little bored so I need to buy more toys and things for him. Usually I rotate them every few days but he has taken down the toy stash so there are no more to rotate! With all the craziness going on I havent been able to get out and get more. I'm also having a hard time getting fruits and veggies because everyone is raising the grocery store and buying everything! I ended up having to get a bunch of frozen stuff so I knew he would have food. I feel terrible! I was able to find some fresh but most of it is frozen.

Another shreddable pineapple bites the dust

Attachments

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
How did things end with the graigslist bird? Did you get it?? fresh fruits isnt the problem here, the problem is always the amount :( small amounts of fruit are expensive, compared to large amounts. So recently i started drying everything! That way it can last longer, and they still get. Lot of healthy stuff :)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Freezing maintains freshness far better than any other method (sometimes better than fresh).
I buy oodles of frozen, chop it into smaller pieces and mix it with fresh chop. The bags stay in the freezer until it is ready for use- needs to be brought to room temp (or warmed in the microwave). That way I can easily get 20+ ingredients in his dish each day.

. Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.14.32 PM.png

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How did things end with the graigslist bird? Did you get it?? fresh fruits isnt the problem here, the problem is always the amount :( small amounts of fruit are expensive, compared to large amounts. So recently i started drying everything! That way it can last longer, and they still get. Lot of healthy stuff :)
No I tried to get in touch with them to ask about him but they said they just sold him :shifty: I hope it was to someone that cares.
How do you dry your fruits?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Ill post this from another thread.
@Les charlson

I think that is fairly debatable- there are numerous variables, ill summarize a few:

Natural nutrient loss: Fresh produce actually loses quite a bit of nutrients as it ages- natural process of breaking down. Especially things with seeds- the seeds begin their preparation for germination by absorbing nutrients from the flesh.

Timing the freezing: Generally, frozen foods retain their vital nutrients and minerals (no change to macro or micro) versus things like dehydrating (which reduce the water content and concentrate things like sugar). A good way to preserve the nutrients is so ensure the food is not overly ripe, chopping it into designated pieces and freezing it.

Nutrient loss from cooking: Many nutrients are however lost or reduced during the cooking process. When boiling- you are often just making nutrient dense water (vitmins like B and C get released into the water) and vitamin A is lost if the foods are cooked in fats). That is why fresh (uncooked) fruit is so vital, where vegetables can be cooked to ensure they are easily digested and palatable.

Different cooking methods matter, for example boiling causes 30% loss of vitamin C. However microwaved vegetables retain almost all their vitamin C.
So in the case of your pumpkin/squash which is high in nutrients (that ekkies need the most) to ensure it is healthiest- it should be chopped fresh, microwaved, then frozen ;)
But there are lots of option for freeze dried! There is even a wonderful woman on AA. I also picked some up at the local supermarket some time ago.
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.51.13 PM.png

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Freezing maintains freshness far better than any other method (sometimes better than fresh).
I buy oodles of frozen, chop it into smaller pieces and mix it with fresh chop. The bags stay in the freezer until it is ready for use- needs to be brought to room temp (or warmed in the microwave). That way I can easily get 20+ ingredients in his dish each day.

. View attachment 332053
I'm trying to figure out what all I am looking at in these bags! I will have to do this because I am worried about not having enough food and not being able to find more. I have gone to the store so many times but it is always cleared out when I get there or what's there looks old as dirt.