• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parvo puppy and bird mom—VIRUS DISINFECTANT

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
oh this is good to know!

I moved her from one bathroom where she couldn’t see us to one that sees us walk around. She’s gotten up even this morning to wag her tail and almost smile..haha. She peed and I told her to lay down. She did. I wanted to keep her company and give her hope.

is it best to close the door to let her get rest or keep it open?

should I Clean her every few days or wipe her down? They didn’t tell me anything about washing her. I figured I’d give her about3-5 days before I move her. And blow drying stresses her out so I didn’t want her to be cold or stressed

thank you for this
The answer to all of this is "whatever makes her comfortable and calm." If she's resting and not wasting energy trying to follow you around, I'd leave the door open so she can see you and take comfort from your presence, especially if she cries when you leave the room. Wash her as needed, but don't blow dry her; that IS scary.

You'll have to change the bedding a lot, of course. Washing her body will just depend on how dirty she gets. You don't want her cold and shivering, but you also don't want her caked with her own mess and getting a rash (not to mention the unbearable smell). Waterless shampoo should be enough for minor spot-cleaning. If she gets filth and absolutely needs a proper wash, use warm water, towel dry, and you can put her back to bed wrapped in a towel. If you have a heating pad, you can put that by her, too. Wrap the heating pad in a towel and leave it on one side of her space so she can choose to lay on it or not. (The towel keeps it from being too hot, and also helps to keep it clean - easier to wash a towel than a heating pad).

Keeping her hydrated is hugely important. If you don't have fluids to give subcutaneously, you need to get some, because diarrhea is extremely dehydrating, and keeping down liquids is really hard for them.

Good luck. We're all rooting for you.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I would suggest putting a 10% bleach in water foot bath at your front and back door. You can use a tray and towel or strip of artificial grass outdoor carpet in it. Just enough liquid to cover bottom of shoes. Step in before you leave your house. Will help to not track it out and about

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would suggest putting a 10% bleach in water foot bath at your front and back door. You can use a tray and towel or strip of artificial grass outdoor carpet in it. Just enough liquid to cover bottom of shoes. Step in before you leave your house. Will help to not track it out and about
Seconding this.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh, and just to be absolutely clear re: bathing - don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary (e.g. if your pup has long/curly hair and decides to roll around in the parvo poo. If you're unsure whether a mess is bad enough to need a bath, then it's not bad enough).

Otherwise, baths can wait until she's well.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
We didn't have quarantine back then.

I'm thinking it may have been a baby food mixture of some kind that I put in the syringe (they had powdered Gerber stuff back then plus those little bottles). It was a LARGE syringe and I just had to use it to get the food on the back of the tongue.

I remember my dog graduated to the rice and HAMBURGER blend. I knew he was better when I started seeing rice on the floor and the hamburger gone.

That weak tail wag? I can still see it in my heart.....
I was thinking of blending it like baby food and doing the same. She hasn’t touched her chicken or rice.

but def wagging her tail and stretches, wags and seems to smile hahaha…
I started her antibiotics this morning per the doctors orders.
she hasn’t had diarrhea since we left the hospital yesterday thank goodness.
She is sooooooo skinny she he nothing to lose. So hoping no diarrhea….

she has to take a pill at 4, so I’m going to try and feed her then.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
O
He recovered fully. The vet sent home a subcutaneous drip (Lactated Ringer's) to keep him hydrated. I used that twice a day for 5 days I think, plus a "homemade Pedialyte" solution instead of plain water. The vet also gave him an antibiotic injection to prevent a secondary bacterial infection, but I don't remember which antibiotic he gave.
I kept him in one room in the house for around 3 weeks, well away from my roommate's dogs and fortunately none of her dogs contracted it. (He seemed ok after a week, but I was worried about the other dogs..)
The vet told me he had seen 7 cases of parvo in 3 days when I took my dog in. It hit the entire neighborhood hard.
Oh lord!! Ya it’s an evil virus!
I’m glad your pup and the rest made it all out alive.
They did the water under the skin thing to her. But I’m going to ask and see if they can do another in two days just for some extra help. Either way I will syringe water in the meantime.
Do u recall how u made the water? I’d love to make something home made to help her..
☺

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Oh, and just to be absolutely clear re: bathing - don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary (e.g. if your pup has long/curly hair and decides to roll around in the parvo poo. If you're unsure whether a mess is bad enough to need a bath, then it's not bad enough).

Otherwise, baths can wait until she's well.
Hahah good way of putting it. I’ll stay clear of a bath for a while. ☺

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've taken care of parvo puppies. We did very tiny meals, like a tablespoon of that prescription diet canned dog food for gi. It has rice in it. It's worth buying from your vet if available, every couple of hours. Served every so slightly warm , not like you would est a hit meal but just north of tepid. Or follow your veterinarians recommendations on diet. They all recieved iv fluids .

Check gums for being dry and tacky, or brick red. Tenting skin. Decreased urine output..May need to take in for fluid therapy.

We did bathe them , but kept very warm . Dried with hair dryer . Washed blankets with bleach several times a day .

You might offer s heating pad with thick towel in top. As long as safe from chew or fire hazard. Warmth helps sickies if all kinds.

Praying for your sweet one..

Similar as references here
).

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
And this is just puppy fyi for any with
unvaccinated little ones.

Bring them in your own carrier or wrapped up in blanket. Never let the touch the ground . Use your blanket on exsm table . Then put that blanket in a Garbage bag to take home. Have fresh towels or blanket to take your kid home in. Bathe your pup when you get home. This is what I did when I had a litter of pups. I didn't take them any place public till after second vaccine, no parks no walks in neighborhood.

We have a lot of distemper in racoons in Florida. Had to call animal control last year for a racoons acting weird .. thankfully was distemper not rabies

Winn

Jogging around the block
O

Oh lord!! Ya it’s an evil virus!
I’m glad your pup and the rest made it all out alive.
They did the water under the skin thing to her. But I’m going to ask and see if they can do another in two days just for some extra help. Either way I will syringe water in the meantime.
Do u recall how u made the water? I’d love to make something home made to help her..
☺
This was the recipe given to me by the vet :
IMG_20230320_191905.jpg
He said use clear Karo syrup (corn syrup) for diarrhea or dark Karo syrup for constipation.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
One of those places is not too far from me :)
I myself have done about 4? Parvo tests, I think 2 were positive.
The most cases I remember my clinic having on a day I was there was about 3 or 4.
They'll go months without seeing a case, then it's one after the other for a few weeks.
We call it "parvo season" - basically from February through April, it's back to back parvo cases.

Plus, if the parvo positive dog was outside, the virus can live on the soil and infect new dogs. It's hell.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
This was the recipe given to me by the vet :
View attachment 425267
He said use clear Karo syrup (corn syrup) for diarrhea or dark Karo syrup for constipation.
Nice! Thank you… so far no throwing up and no diarrhea anymore. It’s possible it’s because she hasn’t eaten anything since Saturday night. But I have been syringing food into her today. She is quite lively though. Thank you so much for this recipe.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Nice! Thank you… so far no throwing up and no diarrhea anymore. It’s possible it’s because she hasn’t eaten anything since Saturday night. But I have been syringing food into her today. She is quite lively though. Thank you so much for this recipe.
If the diarrhea has stopped and her energy is increasing, then she's definitely over the hump! That's fantastic news!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just don't quit feeding her. My vet said if they held it down for a certain number of minutes their body got some nutrition from it.

I remember feeding before work....going home once in the am, then at noon, and once in the afternoon. I was doing a lot of those small meals but vomit and diarrhea was battling me.

Best of luck. Pup is worth it.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Sounds like your getting solid advise ..best of luck with your pup :hug8:

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
We call it "parvo season" - basically from February through April, it's back to back parvo cases.

Plus, if the parvo positive dog was outside, the virus can live on the soil and infect new dogs. It's hell.
Just don't quit feeding her. My vet said if they held it down for a certain number of minutes their body got some nutrition from it.

I remember feeding before work....going home once in the am, then at noon, and once in the afternoon. I was doing a lot of those small meals but vomit and diarrhea was battling me.

I was def trying my best to feed her every few hours. She always held it down but she threw up yesterday. And the smell was rancid, like death, and a mix of metal so strange. I ended up taking her to the hospital yesterday, she’ll be there for five days.

I hope and pray she survives.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
If the diarrhea has stopped and her energy is increasing, then she's definitely over the hump! That's fantastic news!
She was holding all her food down, and no diarrhea, but a nasty smell of like a death and rot in metal was coming from my bathroom. It seems like she put her face over into the tub and threw up. I have no idea what it was that came out of her, or if she managed to hop in and have diarrhea or just throw it up I didn’t see her do it. But I definitely took her to the hospital, she’ll be there for five days. A part of me feels like she’ll make it because she was doing so well here. I’m just not equipped and have no idea if I’m doing what’s best for her alone. So I wanted her to get the best. Hope she possibly can.

But reading what you wrote does fill me up with hope.
Thank you

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

She was holding all her food down, and no diarrhea, but a nasty smell of like a death and rot in metal was coming from my bathroom. It seems like she put her face over into the tub and threw up. I have no idea what it was that came out of her, or if she managed to hop in and have diarrhea or just throw it up I didn’t see her do it. But I definitely took her to the hospital, she’ll be there for five days. A part of me feels like she’ll make it because she was doing so well here. I’m just not equipped and have no idea if I’m doing what’s best for her alone. So I wanted her to get the best. Hope she possibly can.

But reading what you wrote does fill me up with hope.
Thank you
That parvo smell is something you never forget.

I'm really glad she is st the hospital. I think fluid support will be really really helpful.

I definitely add prayers and well wishes .