• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parvo puppy and bird mom—VIRUS DISINFECTANT

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Hello bird family

My puppy has PARVO

The vet said that my IRN is safe from it but just in case I’ve been keeping her in a separate room. Although I didn’t realize how horrible this sickness was. I’ve never had to deal with it before.

can anyone shed some light on this if they’ve ever dealt with it and a bird please. I wanna make sure my bird is safe.

I’m also going to disinfect my home with
“NATURES MIRACLE ADVANCED PLATINUM
STAIN AND ODOR REMOVER AND VIRUS DISINFECTANT “

it says it’s pet, safe, and I’ve read some stuff that some bird moms have used it. But I want to be sure.

thank you

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are only a few disinfectants that kill parvo virus if my memory serves correctly. F10SC is most certainly one of them, it is one of the tougher viruses to kill. We do not hear of it often here in Aus as most puppies are vaccinated early on but we do have a case of it from time to time so I do know a little about it but not much.

I am unsure how to help you with your dog but I do not believe the canine parvo virus is a problem for your bird.
I would tend to trust the vet more on whether the virus is passable to your bird as your vet would likely know more about it than the general public will.

I know different species can get parvo virus but I am unsure if it is the same strain that affects dogs so badly.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nature's Miracle will kill canine parvo if used per the directions. It is important to follow the directions precisely or you risk not killing it.

I've used many Nature's Miracle products in my home without issues; I would keep her separated while you are cleaning just to be extra safe.

Mammalian viruses tend to not like avians and vice versa. While there are some exceptions, parvo has species specific strains.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
There are only a few disinfectants that kill parvo virus if my memory serves correctly. F10SC is most certainly one of them, it is one of the tougher viruses to kill. We do not hear of it often here in Aus as most puppies are vaccinated early on but we do have a case of it from time to time so I do know a little about it but not much.

I am unsure how to help you with your dog but I do not believe the canine parvo virus is a problem for your bird.
I would tend to trust the vet more on whether the virus is passable to your bird as your vet would likely know more about it than the general public will.

I know different species can get parvo virus but I am unsure if it is the same strain that affects dogs so badly.

I rescued her from an abuser who left her in a kennel 24/7. The shelter said she was negative, I took her straight to get her shots that day (wed) and today she has it. so who knows, I just wanna make sure my Tostito is safe (IRN)

I’ll definitely take any advice from anyone, as I do my own research as well.

thank you for taking the time to respond

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great to know that product also works @Mizzely. I have never used it- I have only heard of it from members here.

I believe the canine parvo virus can be passed to ferrets, foxes and one of the strains to cats. I know that my ferrets had to be vaccinated against it and it was recommended not to allow them to walk on any dirt/grass areas that other peoples dogs had used (parvo lives/lays dormant in dirt for some time I believe) until they were covered via vaccination.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Nature's Miracle will kill canine parvo if used per the directions. It is important to follow the directions precisely or you risk not killing it.

I've used many Nature's Miracle products in my home without issues; I would keep her separated while you are cleaning just to be extra safe.

Mammalian viruses tend to not like avians and vice versa. While there are some exceptions, parvo has species specific strains.
I have definitely kept her separated from the smells of the disinfectant. Although I feel like it has a very light now if anything, but I can’t smell it really.

I was terrified, she could catch parvo.

thank you

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
We do not hear of it often here in Aus as most puppies are vaccinated early on but we do have a case of it from time to time so I do know a little about it but not much.
That is true of only a few places (mostly cities) in Aus, it runs rampant in rural areas :meh: Particularly bad at the moment.

As far as I am aware birds can't get canine Parvo.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Great to know that product also works @Mizzely. I have never used it- I have only heard of it from members here.
I had to look it up as I've never seen this specific one. It specifically mentions canine parvo. Most Nature's Miracle products do not contain antibacterial/antiviral properties.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just told my husband that many, many years ago (feels like when the dinosaurs were on the earth), I nursed my puppy through parvo.

In those days it was basically a death sentence for a puppy. Don't know how they treat it now.

The vet basically admitted the puppy could get nutrition from his food if he could hold it down "x" number of minutes. That told me we had a chance. I bought a large syringe, removed the needle, put the food (I'm thinking it was baby food but I can't remember) on the back of his tongue and stroked his throat to get him to swallow..... held his head slightly up. It would be thrown up but I kept at it. I basically was going home multiple times a day from work to get sustenance down him.

It worked for me...... and later another lady I knew.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is true of only a few places (mostly cities) in Aus, it runs rampant in rural areas :meh: Particularly bad at the moment.

As far as I am aware birds can't get canine Parvo.
Interesting you say that because I have lived in rural and even more remote areas for most of my life and I have never heard of it running rampant anywhere near any of the places that I have lived. Scary stuff!

The only time I ever saw a dog affected with Parvo in person was when I was a teenager and living in the city of Melbourne when a positive very very sick dog was literally dragged into Lort Smith animal hospital while the owner was freaking out and arguing with staff about staying outside, everyone there with a dog freaked out cos the positive dog was left in the waiting room with everyone else while it was clearly suffering and terribly unwell. The owner knew what the problem was as they had already just lost their other dog to Parvo virus so they warned all of us with dogs to move well away from them and apologised profusely that they were made to sit in the same area as us all- the reception staff were unsure of how to deal with the situation as it was not a common thing for them to deal with so they knew very little about it- a vet finally walked past and omg what a fuss that followed, the vet upon seeing the unwell dog moved the ill dog then basically requested we all stayed put in the room so none of us moved and then there were staff rushing about disinfecting everything then questioning every dog owner in the waiting room about contact with the infected dog.
Gosh that was terrifying and thankfully I had instantly picked both our little dogs up and moved to be as far from the sick dog as possible as the sick dog was the only breed I dislike immensly and always do my best to stay well away from due to absolute fear of the breed. My mum did not argue about me fussing and moving further away thankfully as she knew I would be panicking as soon as that dog was within my line of sight as I was severely attacked by one when I was quite little (literally thrown about like a rag doll and torn to bits) and I never managed to get over my sheer fear of them.

Every vet I currently see has said they rarely see or hear of parvo as most people vaccinate puppies before sale and most puppies are protected for a very short time from immunities passed through the immunised mums milk.

Maybe it is more common in certain areas but it is definitely quite rare in all the places I have lived that I know of.

Just looked up some info and it seems NSW is one of the more common states for infections to be reported..

This I found on Paws for Purpose.

To give you an idea of how bad Parvo can be in some areas, here are some of the stats from a few of the worst recorded areas for Parvo outbreaks in the 6 years, from 2010 to 2016:
  • Narrabri NSW - 341 cases
  • Alice Springs NT - 307 cases
  • Charters Towers QLD - 231 cases
  • Tamworth NSW - 218 cases
  • Broken Hill NSW - 210 cases
  • Orange NSW - 201 cases...

I am actually shocked at how many cases are in NSW.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
One of those places is not too far from me :)
I myself have done about 4? Parvo tests, I think 2 were positive.
The most cases I remember my clinic having on a day I was there was about 3 or 4.
They'll go months without seeing a case, then it's one after the other for a few weeks.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas

I believe the canine parvo virus can be passed to ferrets, foxes and one of the strains to cats. I know that my ferrets had to be vaccinated against it and it was recommended not to allow them to walk on any dirt/grass areas that other peoples dogs had used (parvo lives/lays dormant in dirt for some time I believe) until they were covered via vaccination.
I just finished doing some research. The parvovirus can live on surfaces for 6-12 month! That is incredibly shocking to me. I’ve been disinfecting my whole house, and just spoke to a 24 hour emergency line on how to clean clothes and stuff because everybody told me it’s all over my clothes. I’ve never had a dog with parvo. And they’re supposed to stay quarantine for 4 to 8 weeks after her antibiotics is done. She’s quarantined in the bathroom. I have no space to have her somewhere bigger for that long. This is gonna be a long 4-8 weeks.

I’m going to take my older dog to get his booster early tomorrow. But so far everyone says my Bertie is safe, which was honestly has been the best news for me. Idk what I would do if she got sick! She’s the love of my life hahaha

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
I just told my husband that many, many years ago (feels like when the dinosaurs were on the earth), I nursed my puppy through parvo.

In those days it was basically a death sentence for a puppy. Don't know how they treat it now.

The vet basically admitted the puppy could get nutrition from his food if he could hold it down "x" number of minutes. That told me we had a chance. I bought a large syringe, removed the needle, put the food (I'm thinking it was baby food but I can't remember) on the back of his tongue and stroked his throat to get him to swallow..... held his head slightly up. It would be thrown up but I kept at it. I basically was going home multiple times a day from work to get sustenance down him.

Oh man,
Well, they gave her a shot at the vet today, filled about 200CC of fluid under her skin on her back (so she can absorb fluids/looks like a hunchback ) antibiotics to make her hungry and one not to throw up and diarrhea… and something else idk. I start giving it to her tomorrow..

I did think about the syringe, help her drink water. They Told me to give her boiled chicken and rice for now so can’t fit that in there haha. Maybe mashed rice with water? To make it like mash potatoes? Once she’s done with her antibiotics start adding kibble.

how long did you quarantine your pup?

Winn

Jogging around the block
From what I was told our parrot-family birds can't contract canine parvo from our dogs. I would keep them separated and disinfect EVERYTHING OFTEN, regardless.
My older dog went through it 4 years ago. Prior to that I had only seen it in young puppies.
I kept a separate pair of shoes outside and changed shoes every time I left the house to keep from transporting the virus anywhere. I also sprayed both pairs of shoes with disinfectant every time I came home or went out.

I'm wishing a speedy recovery for your pup!:hug8:

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
From what I was told our parrot-family birds can't contract canine parvo from our dogs. I would keep them separated and disinfect EVERYTHING OFTEN, regardless.
My older dog went through it 4 years ago. Prior to that I had only seen it in young puppies.
I kept a separate pair of shoes outside and changed shoes every time I left the house to keep from transporting the virus anywhere. I also sprayed both pairs of shoes with disinfectant every time I came home or went out.

I'm wishing a speedy recovery for your pup!:hug8:
Good morning,
She is completely separated from everything, I actually won’t let her out of her cage until I’m done I’m so paranoid. (Put her In there last night)Hahaha. Wanted to air out the room I disinfected overnight just incase the smell was too strong.

how did you pup do? And how long did you keep him/her quarantined if u don’t mind me asking?

thank you for your advice

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran

The treatment hasn't changed, really. You give them fluids, anti-emitics, painkillers, and other palliative care and basically try to buy them enough time for their body to fight off the virus.

It also helps if they've had at least part of the vaccine series, even if it's not complete. Partial protection reduces the severity, often enough for them to survive. When I was working for a vet in the aughts, we had a pretty good survival rate for hospitalized parvo cases. We lost one occasionally, but it was uncommon enough to hit us hard when it happened.

The tameness of the dog can also impact their survival. I remember one pup in particular who was terrified of humans. I think she was a stray someone had picked up. No matter how soothing and gentle we were, every interaction with us was clearly very distressing to the poor thing. We put up a towel to block her view of us passing by, and that helped her feel safe enough to rest, but we still had to handle her regularly to administer meds and keep her clean. She didn't make it, and I wonder how much of that was down to wasting precious energy screaming and trying to escape the big, scary humans.

For most pups, our presence was comforting, and you could tell they were starting to feel better when you started getting weak tail wags.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
The treatment hasn't changed, really. You give them fluids, anti-emitics, painkillers, and other palliative care and basically try to buy them enough time for their body to fight off the virus.

It also helps if they've had at least part of the vaccine series, even if it's not complete. Partial protection reduces the severity, often enough for them to survive. When I was working for a vet in the aughts, we had a pretty good survival rate for hospitalized parvo cases. We lost one occasionally, but it was uncommon enough to hit us hard when it happened.

The tameness of the dog can also impact their survival. I remember one pup in particular who was terrified of humans. I think she was a stray someone had picked up. No matter how soothing and gentle we were, every interaction with us was clearly very distressing to the poor thing. We put up a towel to block her view of us passing by, and that helped her feel safe enough to rest, but we still had to handle her regularly to administer meds and keep her clean. She didn't make it, and I wonder how much of that was down to wasting precious energy screaming and trying to escape the big, scary humans.

For most pups, our presence was comforting, and you could tell they were starting to feel better when you started getting weak tail wags.
oh this is good to know!

I moved her from one bathroom where she couldn’t see us to one that sees us walk around. She’s gotten up even this morning to wag her tail and almost smile..haha. She peed and I told her to lay down. She did. I wanted to keep her company and give her hope.

is it best to close the door to let her get rest or keep it open?

should I Clean her every few days or wipe her down? They didn’t tell me anything about washing her. I figured I’d give her about3-5 days before I move her. And blow drying stresses her out so I didn’t want her to be cold or stressed

thank you for this

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh man,
Well, they gave her a shot at the vet today, filled about 200CC of fluid under her skin on her back (so she can absorb fluids/looks like a hunchback ) antibiotics to make her hungry and one not to throw up and diarrhea… and something else idk. I start giving it to her tomorrow..

I did think about the syringe, help her drink water. They Told me to give her boiled chicken and rice for now so can’t fit that in there haha. Maybe mashed rice with water? To make it like mash potatoes? Once she’s done with her antibiotics start adding kibble.

how long did you quarantine your pup?
We didn't have quarantine back then.

I'm thinking it may have been a baby food mixture of some kind that I put in the syringe (they had powdered Gerber stuff back then plus those little bottles). It was a LARGE syringe and I just had to use it to get the food on the back of the tongue.

I remember my dog graduated to the rice and HAMBURGER blend. I knew he was better when I started seeing rice on the floor and the hamburger gone.

That weak tail wag? I can still see it in my heart.....

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
should I Clean her every few days or wipe her down? They didn’t tell me anything about washing her. I figured I’d give her about3-5 days before I move her. And blow drying stresses her out so I didn’t want her to be cold or stressed
My humble opinion, AVOID STRESS! That makes it worse for anyone or any animal that is sick.

Cleaning the pup can wait.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Good morning,
She is completely separated from everything, I actually won’t let her out of her cage until I’m done I’m so paranoid. (Put her In there last night)Hahaha. Wanted to air out the room I disinfected overnight just incase the smell was too strong.

how did you pup do? And how long did you keep him/her quarantined if u don’t mind me asking?

thank you for your advice
He recovered fully. The vet sent home a subcutaneous drip (Lactated Ringer's) to keep him hydrated. I used that twice a day for 5 days I think, plus a "homemade Pedialyte" solution instead of plain water. The vet also gave him an antibiotic injection to prevent a secondary bacterial infection, but I don't remember which antibiotic he gave.
I kept him in one room in the house for around 3 weeks, well away from my roommate's dogs and fortunately none of her dogs contracted it. (He seemed ok after a week, but I was worried about the other dogs..)
The vet told me he had seen 7 cases of parvo in 3 days when I took my dog in. It hit the entire neighborhood hard.