• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Part of wing broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Kero has a droopy wing.. he has injuries in 2 places - the first place is at the top near his shoulder, it is all crusty and 'floppy', I am pretty sure it is broken. The second place is along side of his wing, a bit further down from the first injury, it was bleeding and looks like a few blood feathers have been broken (maybe?) and you can also clearly see the bone. :confused:

It is so hard to explain, but here are photos of his wing.. I have put in writing where I think it might be broken and etc. I couldn't get anymore photos he was squirming a lot.

Attachments

Last edited:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have him in the carrier by the way..

You can see in this photo the crusty part of his wing, further down along the side of his wing, where the feathers look tattered, is where it bled and you can see the bone.

Attachments

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh my. I hope he isn't in pain.:( Sending healing energy. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Off to the vet you go. Make sure he stays as still as possible before you get there. Food and water where he can get it without expending too much energy and keep him warm.

Ginger

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I can't take him to the Vet until Monday. It is Friday night and it is New Years Eve. But I will keep him in the carrier with food and water and keep him warm.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
isnt there an emergency # to call ...that looks pretty painful..

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
A normal vet (doesn't have to be an avian vet) will be able to work out a pain relief dosage of medication for him. They can stabilise him and get him through until you can see your regular avian vet on Tuesday (Monday is a public holiday).

Have had to rely on after hour vets a couple of times for my birds. They see A LOT of wildlife (mostly birds) so they tend to know their stuff.

Here is a vet surgery that provides after-hour care: Services

Here is their after-hours number: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]353 0200[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Renae, that's gotta hurt...hopefully Kelsey helped you find a vet you can take him to for now.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I agree, get him to an emergency vet, don't want the poor little guy to suffer, plus it will interfere with the healing. Also it looks like you won't be able to get him in on Monday either.

Ginger

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks, I would take him to that one at North Wyong, but I would need to get a train and then 1-2 buses. If that one at North Gosford was open, it would be even better because it is much closer.

I am going to ring here: Gosford Veterinary Hospital - pet care and farm animal advice, products and answers to all your questions. I thought they might not be available though, it being New Years eve, and tomorrow being New Years day?!

Anyway, I have taken Jasper and Mali (Cockatiels) there quite a few times before and I know the Vet really well and he was excellent when I took the Cockatiels to see him. This place has 24 hour emergency, I will ring tomorrow morning and talk to them, I have never had to ring emergency, so a bit unsure on what will happen?

birdstuff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claudia
Oh poor sweet baby....how did it happen? I hope he heals up quickly and that you can get him to the vet. Why do these things always happen on Holidays!??

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ranae...it looks like he may have gotten his wing stuck between the cage bars. Many vets will not do anything intially if the area is swollen...they have to wait for the swelling to go down in order to set the bone/wing. 1 baby aspirin dissolved in a pint of water, and given as the drinking water is great to releive pain and reduce swelling.

Go to this link: ONLINE AVIAN MEDICENE - Just Cockatiels! Click on the link, and then click on Chapter 16, and 42. Both chapters may have some helpful info.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,poor little one. I hope that he is able to be taken care of soon.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I was just wondering if there's an update on this thread, Renae?

Status
Not open for further replies.