• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PARSNIP

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I decided to start attempting to try some root veggies this winter. Cost is kinda low & I don't have to buy 10 pounds to get through them. This week I bought parsnips. Never ever remembered trying them. Apparently my Grandpa used to sneak them into soups but he passed on, when I was around 5 yrs. old. Don't remember them @ all.

Now my small local grocery store had them pre-prepped. Tops cut off. I peeled & re-cut tops & tips. Cut into circles & cut each circle into 2 or 3 rectangular type of shapes.

Upon the 1st peel I could smell sweetness similar to a carrot. I steamed until I could get to a fork tender "feel" to them similar to a boiled potato but a little less cooked as they didn't fall off the fork. I made & cooled a small coupe cup for Buddy & a large bowl for myself (added butter in mine). We sat & ate @ my couch. I figured Buddy would refuse to eat them because they're...
White :rnfrt:

I was pleasantly surprised as he did this...

20191201_180948~2.jpg

20191201_180957~2.jpg

20191201_181024~3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:yah: looks like he´s enjoying those! Did you enjoy yours? :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
According to:

Parsnips are an excellent source of many important nutrients, packing a hearty dose of fiber, vitamins, and minerals into each serving.

In particular, parsnips are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate, as well as several other important micronutrients.

One cup (133 grams) of parsnips provides the following (1Trusted Source):

• Calories: 100
  • Carbs: 24 grams
  • Fiber: 6.5 grams
  • Protein: 1.5 grams
  • Fat: 0.5 grams
  • Vitamin C: 25% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
  • Vitamin K: 25% of the RDI
  • Folate: 22% of the RDI
  • Vitamin E: 13% of the RDI
  • Magnesium: 10% of the RDI
  • Thiamine: 10% of the RDI
  • Phosphorus: 8% of the RDI
  • Zinc: 7% of the RDI
  • Vitamin B6: 7% of the RDI
In addition to the nutrients listed above, parsnips contain a small amount of calcium, iron, and riboflavin.

SUMMARYParsnips are a great source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate, as well as other important micronutrients

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use parsnip in soup but I’m not real keen on it by itself. It’s pretty good roasted with carrots cut up the same way. Unfortunately Burt has not been keen on them..... might be time to try them again.
My son loves them cut finely and oven cooked into chips. I might do a batch like that with carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, and parsnip chips and maybe I’ll have more interest from Burt that way.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Funnily enough, I ate parsnips today! I cut mine into 3-4 inch lengths and roasted them and some carrots with olive oil and salt.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooh every Christmas we have roasted honey-glazed parsnips and carrots. It's delicious, and the honey complements the sweetness rather than overpowering it. Glad to see you could share it :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't like messing too much. I like the pure sweet flavour of them, it's so bold and unique.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Glad you both liked them :smuggrin:
You can tell Buddy loves his veggies, his feathers are SOOO vibrant! Beautiful:swoon:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tonight I steamed Corn on the cob, Beets & some stem & another Parsnip. Cut the Corn off the cob & rectangled & squared the rest. Well I know the beets touched that beak... Maroon & had to wipe it off w/ a wet paper towel after. I doubt he ate much if any.
He ate a few bites of the Parsnip. Corn looked like there was a mini tornado that jumped into each of the individual pieces & removed the entire inside of each one. :fluff1: "Poof!!!"

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Nom nom! You reminded me I have some in my vegetable drawer.... yanking them out tomorrow!