• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

parrots walk on 3 limbs

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
well, DUH !
" the birds (lovebirds) and perhaps other parrot species have repurposed the muscles in their necks and heads so they can walk on their beaks, "

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/science/parrots-three-limbs.html?

"They had the birds climb up a surface that was fitted with a sensor to keep track of how much force they were exerting and in what directions. The scientists found that the propulsive force the birds applied through their beaks was similar to what they provided with their legs. What had started as a way to eat had transformed into a way to walk, with beaks as powerful as their limbs.
For them to take their faces and integrate it into their stride cycle is pretty incredible,” said Ms. Young, who noted that the birds’ nervous systems would have had to change to fit beak movement into the rhythm of walking."

@Zara

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's neat that they did this study. Thanks for sharing!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
well, DUH !
Yea, I´m a little confused because I thought that was the case for all parrots? They specifically mention lovebirds, but perhaps it´s a cost thing, plus they´re smaller and can be housed in smaller cages and have lower costs than say 6 macaws.

Don´t everyone elses parrots use their beaks to climb up cage bars?
I´m sure to non-bird owners it´s an eye opener, but to us bird folks, it´s something we already knew because we see it every day.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t open the link for some reason :(

I do note the comment in the OP saying “beaks as powerful as their limbs” and I think to myself that I know a few birds who have beaks much more powerful than their limbs lol.

@Zara all my birds climb cage bars using their beaks but my budgie does it less than the bigger boys.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can’t open the link for some reason :(
I could, but had to subscribe to read the thing. Didn´t pay though.

@Zara all my birds climb cage bars using their beaks but my budgie does it less than the bigger boys.
I wonder if it is because their beaks are not as strong? They are also smaller beaks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wonder if it is because their beaks are not as strong? They are also smaller beaks.
I think it might be an individual thing maybe because I’ve had budgies in the past that used their beak much more than my current little guy does. Squeak doesn’t tend to use the cage bars much at all but his gf used to.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@Shezbug @Zara
yes the New York Times lets someone read a certain number of articles free per month (10?)
As a subscriber I can gift 10 articles per month that don't go thru that process but I didn't think it would be appropriate on public board.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading it and giggled at the naïveté of the birdless masses:wink2:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of my budgies use their beaks a lot more than others. I'm not sure why. I found the details about modified neck muscles fascinating. I doubt most bird owners would've known how they did this, even if they knew that they did.