• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots unlimited breeder

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
i was wondering if anyone had heard of, or used this breeder Parrots Unlimited in California?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Which region are they in? I’ve never heard the name but I was mostly looking for CAG breeders.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are located in San Diego.

Kodigirl210

I don’t know who they are and I did extensive searching when I got my CAG. I don’t recognize their logo or anything. And I scoured everywhere, birdbreeders, oodle, Craigslist, Yelp. You name it, i searched it. I also noticed that their website isn’t really real, it’s just basically a pdf and their FB is also weird. Almost no visitor activity. Not what you’d expect for a real breeder.

I spoke to the person who breeds the most highly rated CAGs in San Diego and the only person who he felt comfortable referring me to was someone in Fallbrook and that breeder was definitely not Parrots Unlimited.

Sorry can’t be more help but I honestly feel I would have run across them were they a legit San Diego breeder.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The breeder was very helpful and made sure I signed contracts right away. I paid 1/2 down already and the baby is 3.5 weeks old. He seems to know his stuff and was helpful with advice for my new baby bird. We talked again today and I sure hope he’s real! I don’t have a feeling he’s not, he seems legit . Oh boy. Now I’m nervous.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
He was originally on bird breeders that’s how I found him , but now I don’t see him there. Maybe he doesn’t have anymore babies available? Before on his website he did, now today I saw none too.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
On Facebook it says something like 2,000 likes or something? Not any real comments though, just a few. How would I go about checking out if it’s a real business ? I already invested $1,250. He seemed very knowledgeable and nice, so I’m not sure.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
He sent just one photo . He said today the baby is getting a bunch more of pin feathers at 3.5 weeks. Born April 9.He said it’s with another RB2 that’s 2 weeks older.
I’ll send the one photo he sent back on 4-27 . He said he would send another photo tomorrow or the day after .” He said with the photo, here’s your baby I pulled today”. That was 4-27-19
A1E9263E-CBC5-4E44-8360-41BA0BC8FD0D.jpeg
I just saw this too, BirdBreeders.com :: Parrots Unlimited, San Diego, CA
This is where I saw the baby . It looks like he has no babies left. On his web site there was a link to available birds, now there is none. I read the 9 positive reviews on Bird Breeders about him and it seems he used to breed under a different name of Melzano's Parrot Place. He did have CAG’s before.

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

I found a pic of a 4wk Rose Breasted. It doesn’t look anything like that. I also watched a YouTube vid on development. By 3.5 wks it looked like the chick was over 200g and like the one in the pic with all the rose colored pins. I don’t know what he sent you pic of but the body proportion is all wrong. The chick should be longer than tall and wide across the body.

5A500819-58AA-42AF-8630-12A29FDA112A.jpeg

Last edited:

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The photo he sent was from April 27 th. He said it was hatched out April 9. That would make the baby in the photo
A little over two 1/2 weeks old. If I get a new photo tomorrow or the day after I attach that as well .

Kodigirl210

The other issue with FB is you can buy “likes”. You just pay a company to make dupe accounts/names and have them “like” the page. It’s done on all the platforms to boost interest or make it seem popular etc. Which would explain the lack of comments or actual reviews.

I tried the routes I normally would - BBB and CA Business Registry. Didn’t find anything. It’s possible they incorporated in a different state.

Kodigirl210

I also found this on our forum. He used to go by Melzano’s Parrots. Unfortunately, I think it is likely a scam. Did you happen to pay via PayPal?

At two and a half weeks old it had almost no pins, only on the wings, but did have the body size and shape I described previously. So it should look exactly like the babies you see but no pins but the wings. As you can see from the pic. The wings are much much wider on the “real” baby.

Need some advice from the breeders | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Oh gee! That would be awful! I paid by credit card, not PayPal.
It also looked like he had a site called avianconnections.com
That was no longer around after 2915. He mentioned on the phone he was also a dog breeder and I found online he was the Vice President of a poodle club.
I was thinking I might call some breeder down in San Diego and see what they think. The address is Melzano’s is the address he uses now still. He is on bird breeders.com, I sent the link a few messages up. He gets good reviews when he was with Melzano’s. They are closed as of 2015 I think? I’m really concerned. I wonder if any bird breeders here from San Diego can help me figure this out?

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Breeders Reviews :: Parrots Unlimited, San Diego, CA
Looks legit, but then so do many others. 5 star veviews across the board from just 9 reviewers. Their contact number is shown on that link (usually not given with scams, haven't tried it from the UK)
My opinion from what I've seen? Too good to be true, but I really do hope this turns out to be legit.

Kodigirl210

I was planning on getting my CAG through Rainforest Aviaries and if i get a second one I will. Right now one is all I can handle. Paul has worked for the San Diego Zoo for years along with his bird breeding. If the this guy selling the RB2 is a reputable breeder Paul would know. He knows everyone who breeds CAGs in the San Diego area.

I would hold off on giving that person any more money. His website and FB look bogus and as far as I can tell he pretty much stopped advertising 2-3 months ago. He was also in way to many sale sites. That’s usually a red flag too. No one has that kind of inventory, nor do they require to advertise that much if they are reputable. Rainforest is basically all word of mouth. I don’t believe he advertised much if at all.

Good Luck

Kodigirl210

@Ripshod - In the US phone numbers don’t mean anything. You can easily spoof any number you want. It’s also possible at one point this guy was somewhat legit and some came along and decided to assume the identity.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I just started a new thread which I hope is ok under the Amazon board. He said he has baby amazon’s too. Should I ask under a new thread in the Cockatoo section? I’m not if it’s ok to ask with multiple threads . I’m trying to see if anyone knows of him or Parrots Unlimited.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wouldn't keep making more threads as then people get frustrated they have to go to multiple threads to read all the info ;)

parrotsunlimited.net whois lookup - who.is

Looks like the domain was registered January 2019 and they're using a service to block their name and location from search.

It doesn't scream scam to me at first glance, but the fact that he keeps changing his name concerns me. If you're building a brand, continually changing your identity is not the way to go about it. It's like he wants people to forget who he was before? Turning over a new leaf all the time is a red flag to me.

He definitely used to be Melzono's.

Screenshot_20190507-103811.png

The baby photo of the bird looks like it was just stretched out, so that also doesn't totally sent off a red flag. I also did a Google search for that image and didn't come back with a result so it's not likely stolen from the internet.

You could ask for a new photo that includes a piece of paper with the date written on it next to the bird to help ease your mind. He should be happy to accommodate if he's shipping nationwide often.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
That helps. Thank you for looking that up for me. His email is also under Melzano’s when I looked at it more carefully. It seems he was busy with Melzano’s then sort of fell off the map.
I saw him on FB his personal page. He had a few photos of him with a macaw and CAG , but that’s it. He doesn’t mention his breeding . He was very knowledgeable when I spoke to him. He did try to charge me sales tax in Oregon ? But later removed that after I sent him information showing I don’t pay sales tax if the bird is shipped to Oregon. Maybe he’s just starting his business back up after Melzano’s failed? I did see him asking friends on FB about his logo he used on his receipt to me . It used to say Melzano’s under it, now it says parrot’s Unlimited. That’s all I really saw about his business on his personal FB page.
I think it was a pet store. Though the address he uses is the same one as the old Melzano’s.
I feel kind of weird asking him to send a photo with the date on it. He always answers the phone the two times I called him. He did ask for 1/2 down when I bought the bird. The travel and carrier and other half I pay later.

Last edited: