• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots & staring?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I was just going down memory lane and looking at some old pictures of my quaker who passed away, and it reminded me of one of the things that I loved most about him.

As narcissistic as this might sound, I absolutely loved that he would stare at me constantly. He watched every single move I made , and even stared at me when I just sat still. He stared at me while he played, while he ate, and even when he was taking a bath. Lol.

I always interpreted it as his love stare. I could see the love in his eyes. He was never on edge or anything. He trusted me so I don't think it was him being cautious of his surroundings or anything.

*Is it a love stare?*

Anyway, I miss having a parrot watch everything I do. I hope that my next parrot will stare at me all day long too. :knockknock:

But then I Googled "parrots and staring"(Yes- I tend to Google any & everything that pops into my mind) and I'm not really getting much about the subject.

So that made me wonder - is it unusual for a parrot to stare at it's parront?

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
My conure always likes to watch what I'm doing. He likes to watch what anyone in the house is doing to be honest. I always thought he was just curious about his flock. Most of my birds have done this, even the ones that weren't tame. As social animals, any bird will be interested in what his/her flock is doing. This is just my guess, I don't really know for sure.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:lol:

Well, I feel a little silly now. I always thought he was just as obsessed with me as I was with him. :rofl:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
All my birds watch me to some extent, but my little bird Twilight watches my every move and listens to everything I say, it's really cute.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
No doubt your bird loved you! There is also the necessity for flock awareness in a prey species. Ever notice how if one bird in a flock sees danger, the whole flock seems to move simultaneously? They're always aware of everything!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is how you connect, and are connected to an animal. The eyes are the window to the soul. It's soul to soul.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My brother refuses to come into my house because he feels like they are ALL staring at him. My macaw is the one that stares at me the most. She's also the most needy.