• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets: male vs female for noise

DaH

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all - after recently looking after a rescue lovebird for a week, and missing him very much now he's gone, I am thinking of getting a parrotlet. The reason I say parrotlet rather than lovebird is for the noise factor. I live in an apartment and noise would be an issue. From the research I've done so far, noise complaints re parrotlets tend to be from owners of male birds. Likewise, the videos of noisy parrotlets online seem all to be if males. So; can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions that a female bird would be the quieter option? Any replies will be much appreciated!

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
I have a male parrotlet and he can have his moments of being chatty but I wouldn't call it loud. My husband can be asleep in the other room and it doesn't bother him. Now on the other hand if our Crimson bellied conure or Indian ring neck start contact calling that will definitely wake him up.

We have worked with our birds to say a phrase instead of squawking and that has worked pretty well (except for our male Indian ring neck that doesn't talk) if they feel the need to get our attention they usually just start saying peek-a-boo as that is the phrase we repeat back when they contact call or want to be chatty.

I have never owned a female parrotlet but I think a male would be fine in an apartment if you work on teaching words and phrases, even if they don't learn to talk I Do not think their loudest squawk could be heard through apartment walls. :roflmao:

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
I love our parrotlet he has been a joy in our life. They definitely have great spunk and personality. I love it late at night when he starts to get sleepy he will crawl between my undershirt and birds shirt and go to sleep beak grinding. Figgy Puddin gives kisses and loves scritches (when it's his idea) and knows a few phrases like peek-a-boo, love you, tickle-tickle, cute, cute, cute pretty bird and he laughs. He went through a nippy stage when he was on my shoulder but I got one of those bird toy necklaces and it worked great he would chew on that instead of me, hehe. He loves to hide in my hair and get beak rubs. He is great with the grandkids they can hold him and he even learned a trick when I say "over" he circles around my finger doing a summersault and when he's done he says weeeee. The grand kids love it when he will do that on their finger.

Jessie1285

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessie
I have a male and female parrotlet, and two female green cheeks. My male parrotlet is my most consistent loud chirper. I love him though, wouldn't trade him.

DaH

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all who replied - good to hear your experiences of the mighty parrotlet! Seems like I may be right r.e. the male/female noise thing, guess maybe because the males calls for mates in the wild? Either way, shall keep looking for a female hand-reared. Thanks again!!