• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets and other birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
How aggressive are Parrotlets with other birds? I have 2 Bouke Parakeets which are pretty gentle birds - they never bite and seem pretty defenseless. I know I couldn't keep a Parrotlet in the same cage with them but how risky would it be to have them out of the cage together, during "play time"? Also, one of my Bourke's is very friendly to me and likes to sit on my shoulder - would a tame Parrotlet possibly get jealous of the other bird and try to chase it away? Or could they be friendly and hang out together?

Another question: my Bourke Parakeets are fully-flighted. Do any people on this board have fully-flighted Parrotlets and how do they behave? Are they easy to control (i.e. get back in the cage, etc.) when they fly? If I got a Parrotlet, I would plan for it to wing-clipped in the beginning. I'm just wondering if I could let it become flighted or would have to re-clip to keep it under control?

I'm just "thinking" about this for now. I have no real plans to get a Parrotlet but there is a bird show coming up and I always fall in love with the little parrotlets!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
In my experience, they are more aggressive with each other than other species. My 2 females I had hated each other but didn't mind the rest of the flock. Harper started fighting with Kei the dusky Pionus near the end and Kei ended up killing her through the cage bars, but I wasn't around to supervise. Both females liked my budgie and would eat with him and harper would snuggle and preen him. Keeper and kin are still in quarantine so I can't say how they'll get along with Toady.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Have you considered Linnies?:)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How aggressive are Parrotlets with other birds? I have 2 Bouke Parakeets which are pretty gentle birds - they never bite and seem pretty defenseless. I know I couldn't keep a Parrotlet in the same cage with them but how risky would it be to have them out of the cage together, during "play time"? Also, one of my Bourke's is very friendly to me and likes to sit on my shoulder - would a tame Parrotlet possibly get jealous of the other bird and try to chase it away? Or could they be friendly and hang out together?

Another question: my Bourke Parakeets are fully-flighted. Do any people on this board have fully-flighted Parrotlets and how do they behave? Are they easy to control (i.e. get back in the cage, etc.) when they fly? If I got a Parrotlet, I would plan for it to wing-clipped in the beginning. I'm just wondering if I could let it become flighted or would have to re-clip to keep it under control?

I'm just "thinking" about this for now. I have no real plans to get a Parrotlet but there is a bird show coming up and I always fall in love with the little parrotlets!
Both my parrotlets are fully flighted adults. If you train them to step up and/or fly to you when called, it is not difficult to manage. I find that I do have to allow them a little time to stretch their wings, though. If they feel they've had a fair amount of out-time, though, they'll usually cooperate.

Re: relationships with other birds. In my experience, parrotlets are fairly territorial and do not get along well with other species, especially during hormonal times--and p'lets have very strong hormonal phases once they are mature, like their cousins, the Amazons. Now, I do have a pair, and an individual might be more flexible. I have seen p'lets form attachments with budgies, so perhaps it's possible with another small species. But, I wouldn't count on it, especially if the other species is already a pair. The pair is the most natural unit with birds, and if we don't work with nature, rather than against it, we can find that we cause ourselves more trouble than would be necessary. Good luck whatever you choose to do :hug8:

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
I'll start by saying that every bird is different.Loki was clipped by the breeder when he came to me, but he could still get distance, but no lift. He was quite friendly from the start. I got my 'tiels - 3 yr old rescues - about a month later. After quarentine I tried them being out together. He acted all cute then would nip at them and chase them off the play gym, then follow them to their cage (it was close to the play gym). After a bit he just sat a little away, but didn't pick n them. I always kept a real close on on him, though. If I couldn't supervise them closely, they had seperate out of cage time. I could have a 'tiel on one shoulder and Loki on the other with no issues - just not on the same shoulder.I let Loki's flights grow out and it didn't change his personality at all. Yes, he was more independant and could go to his cage when he liked, but I liked that because when he was hungry/thirsty, he could just pop on over for a drink or a nibble. There were times when he didn't want to go back to his cage, so I just walked away and tried a few minutes later. He usually listened to me, but would fly back and forth for my hubby. Lol! It was like tag - he looked like he enjoyed the game, really. He would wait til he got juuuuusst close enough, then chirp and fly into the next room (he went between his cage, play gym, and 'tiel cage). As long as you have a good understanding/trust with each other, a p'let will/should be fine. You never know how they will get on with other birds, so watch very closely to avoid fights.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Milo can sit near Bartleby with no problems... it's when Bartleby tries to get too close that Milo tries to lunge at him. Although from what I've heard and seen from other plet owners, Milo is often the exception rather than the rule

LittleGems

Most of mine are very aggressive with all other species, and won't hesitate to attack any other birds that come near them. They especially love to attack feet, and have done some good damage to other birds toes (including biting a few toes off a Linnie that landed on a parrotlet cage)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Maya is not an aggressive bird...I would say she is more curious. When my grey cheek Dozer was still with me, they would be out together on the play gym. She always tried to be near him, but he didn't want much of her. lol She was never trying to be mean, only wanting to get close to him.

Maya is fully flighted and loves flying around...she is fast! When it is time to go back in her cage, I walk over to her cage and call her...withing a minute or less, she flies right to me and steps down on to her perch. She is very good about this as long as she has time out with me first.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I've never owned either, but from what I've read, I would think IN GENERAL that bourkes & p'lets are not a good mix. :eek:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy

Re: relationships with other birds. In my experience, parrotlets are fairly territorial and do not get along well with other species, especially during hormonal times--and p'lets have very strong hormonal phases once they are mature, like their cousins, the Amazons. Now, I do have a pair, and an individual might be more flexible. I have seen p'lets form attachments with budgies, so perhaps it's possible with another small species. But, I wouldn't count on it, especially if the other species is already a pair. The pair is the most natural unit with birds, and if we don't work with nature, rather than against it, we can find that we cause ourselves more trouble than would be necessary. Good luck whatever you choose to do :hug8:
I agree with Holiday and Little Gems - Parrotlets have a reputation of being very territorial and can get quite nasty. My Rocco is very aggressive during hormonal time and molting. He pretty much leaves my budgie alone (in her cage), but if they come in contact he gets nasty with her, and I have no doubt he would really hurt her if he had the chance.

Having had Rocco for almost 5 years, I can say there is no way I'd feel comfortable with him being out with another bird.

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Thanks everyone, for the feedback. I think I will hold off for now, on a Parrotlet. I've got a good thing going with my peaceful Bourkes and Scarlet Chested Parakeets and I wouldn't want to risk them getting hurt.

They are safe around my doves too.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
They are beyond adorable!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm telling you, Linnies are the tickets!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Linnies are gentle enough to be compativle with my other birds?
I believe so but you should probably check with people who own them. They're a bit smaller than your birds who are adorable by the way!:)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I had both a parrotlets and a a linnie. I recently had to rehome my parrotlets because of their extreme aggressiveness towards the other birds. They were wonderful with me and such darlings, I absolutely love parrotlets and one day when I own a house with a different room for them I will get another but I will never have them with other species of birds again, much to dangerous.

My linnie on the other hand is the sweetest, most gentle bird. I absolutely love him! He does not really get along with my GCC but he does not attack either, he mostly keeps to himself.

I know of a lot of people who mix Linnies with Bourkes and have no issues. Of course it always depends on the birds but I would very HIGHLY recommend linnies, they are my favorite species!
fids_PC060384-1.jpg

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I want to hear more about the Linnies! I'm so in love with them!:)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Linnies are gentle enough to be compativle with my other birds?
Ehhhhhhn.. It really depends on the linnies. Mine are aggressive bullies and do not like other species one bit. But they can live in relative harmony with more docile birds, like my cockatiels, who will back off if the linnies want something, if they have enough room. (My tiels and linnies live mostly cage free in my bird room.)

I would say you'll have a better chance of success with a single linnie, so that you don't get the gang mentality going on, (My boys would probably be less assertive if they didn't have one another for backup. I think as a bonded pair, they are more territorial than they would otherwise be.), and if you found someone that raised them with other species of birds before weaning. My boys came from a breeder that solely raised linnies, so they were not exposed to other species until they were already in adolescence.

I posted a thread once with some videos of one of my linnies being a brat to the other birds - here!

I
love linnies, don't get me wrong! I just think they're still uncommon enough for people to have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to their personalities. Linnies ARE wonderful, but linnie PAIRS do have a tendency to be territorial and to gang up on outsiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.