• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets and Budgies?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Do you think parrotlets would get along with my two budgies? Not in the same cage of course

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
My parrotlet and budgie live together. My parrotlet was a baby when I got her, my budgie had lost his bff not long before. They completely bonded and Kalypso even laid eggs this year (NOT fertile). So, yes, they CAN get along. It is not normal to house them together, my two are not the norm.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I have a parrotlet and I used to have 2 budgies and my parrotlet would fly after them. I would watch under close supervision

**parrotlets are known for being territorial. Weather it be human or object.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have 2 budgies, they've tried to get my parrotlets into their flock for years..
The first parrotlet was harceling them, biting and sneaking to try and steal their food. I had to separate them after one of the budgies invited himself into the parrotlet's cage... there was blood, scared me no end, I thought he had chopped the foot off!
The second one is just scared of them and hides in cabinets to avoid them because he thinks he is human while they think he is a budgie..
Those birds are nuts anyway.

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
So you could not keep a Parrotlet in the same cage with 2 Budgies?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I firmly believe only same species that get along excellently should be in the same cage. It's not worth the risk.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
No, never. In theory you should not have 2 parrotlets in the same cage either, they could easily kill each other.
One of my budgies died, his friend was desperate for company and visited the parrotlet's cage... He could not get out fast enough, the parrotlet bit him in the foot. There was so much blood I was very scared he just had chopped a toe off, fortunatly he got only a little hole but from that point on I kept them in separate rooms and got a new (budgie) friend to my budgie.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
No, never. In theory you should not have 2 parrotlets in the same cage either, they could easily kill each other.
100% correct.

People easily underestimate parrotlets. They are nothing like budgies, hopefully other thinking of putting them in the same cage find this thread. It is a very bad idea.

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
Never put a parrotlet with another species & I would be cautious even with another parrotlet. They are very territorial. They have even been known to kill their mates. I have a friend that used to breed them but stopped when she found her male had been killed by his female mate.