• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet v. Lovebird

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Right now I have complete silence in my house with 8 lovebirds.
I do too. I can hear a flock of quakers up the street. but my little ones are silent. I´m just home from the vet and they were all going at it when I walked in, what a racket!!!!! They settled down after a little while.
They are pretty quiet, sometimes odd chirps, but when they go at it, boy they are noisy! They seem to think my conversations with my partner are invitations to flock call! :cautious:
I just sneezed, and all the girls are calling now.

My boys are definitely quieter. and I find that young birds are noisy, but they quieten down as they grow up. When the girls are on eggs, it is just freakishly silent all the time, well, almost.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This description made me laugh! :roflmao: I’ve never understood why people have issues with their squeaks, though, and I’ve lived in all kinds of spaces with them. :shrug3: They’re really not that loud to me - definitely not louder than my Mom’s parrotlet, especially when he gets going! Right now I have complete silence in my house with 8 lovebirds. With the TV on. They squeak occasionally, but I hardly even notice unless it’s a contact call or an alarm call. Maybe I’m part lovebird, lol.

Some have more shrill voices than others. My sweet little dapper gentleman Beni had quite the sharp squeak (still well within tolerance), but I think he’s the only one I’ve really experienced that with.
I really think people just have different sound tolerances. I thought my foster lovebird's noises were adorable. But of course, I live with a cockatoo. So......

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really think people just have different sound tolerances. I thought my foster lovebird's noises were adorable. But of course, I live with a cockatoo. So......
I suppose so, but I can seem to wrap my head around that! Lol, and those cockatoos do have some lungs on them. If my lovies were that loud, I’d just have to adjust! Love my babies more than life. Lovies can make a lot of cute, soft sounds as well. :heart:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do too. I can hear a flock of quakers up the street. but my little ones are silent. I´m just home from the vet and they were all going at it when I walked in, what a racket!!!!! They settled down after a little while.
They are pretty quiet, sometimes odd chirps, but when they go at it, boy they are noisy! They seem to think my conversations with my partner are invitations to flock call! :cautious:
I just sneezed, and all the girls are calling now.

My boys are definitely quieter. and I find that young birds are noisy, but they quieten down as they grow up. When the girls are on eggs, it is just freakishly silent all the time, well, almost.
Lol they like to keep tabs on you! Mine typically make soft contact calls unless they feel I’m not coming into the birdy room fast enough!

Yeah, our girls definitely have some lungs on them. Neutrino is usually very quiet, but every once in a while she busts out what we call her “jungle call”. :D That will get your attention! Hmm, yes, the older ones are more settled in and secure, perhaps a little quieter. Our youngest here are Glitch and Toki, and I think they’re around 3 years old maybe? They were raffle birds, so we can only guess.

Reactions: Ali

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea, I found that once they hit about 2 years old they aren´t as noisy.

I also find one bird to be nice sounding, no matter what sounds they are making, even flock calls. It is when there are over 3, 4 birds all calling at the same time it turns into pure noise.

raffle birds,
:(

every once in a while she busts out what we call her “jungle call”. :D
:lol:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara Every once in a while all the boys start calling at once and I’m like, “Shush, you little heathens, I can’t hear or answer anyone like this!” :laughing2:

I know, I hate that they raffle off birds at the expos and I think it should be illegal.

Neutrino was the quietest little thing when I first adopted her. Not a peep until we were on our way to the vet’s office, and even then it was a soft, forlorn-sounding cheep. But after a while she recovered enough to show her own version of sass, and that’s when the jungle call was born! She used to make some other noises too that sounded like (best I can describe) lasers and robot crickets. She’s still the sweetest female lovie ever. Doesn’t know she’s a girl, obviously. Never bites or even pinches.

Even though the girls tend to be louder and more vocal, I think their chirps and calls often sound quite melodious. They have beautiful voices. :angel2: (I’ve probably lost my mind from being the swarm-keeper for so long, lol.)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmm... thinking about it now.. it is my girls that have those cute little sounds... Very interesting!

My first bird was Sydney, he was and still is so quiet most of the time. Odd Pi-Pews but never noisy.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I lived with cockatoo for 9 years! I know what you mean. I actually had sound cancelling headphones for her very excited and happy moments. Screaming is just how cockatoos express joy! In Australia it is pretty impressive how easy it is to hear the wild ones even when you can't see them yet.

@Zara What you said about the lovies sounding cute when you are outside reminded me of my friend's dog. She has a corgi. When he barks and I am on the phone or video chat he has the cutest little bark. He sounds like a cartoon dog 'Bark bark'. When I visit her at her home and he bark it sounds like the whole room is shaking. It is so funny because when he barks during a call she is so apologetic, and I am like.. no please he is so cute! Let him bark as much as he wants.. Then in person, oh yeah.. this is why.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but my little ones are silent.
I made a video and forgot to post the link here. Not long after I posted this comment, I made a video of the dove visitor and you can heard my birds were quiet. Video link

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I'm sure down the road i'll add a lovebird to the mix, but for the time being I have officially decided on a parrotlet! I'm fully aware of the minimum cage requirements, but what specific cages (available in the US) do you guys recommend?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I like the Prevue Hendryx F040 — yes it’s big but a parrotlet will use every inch of it.
I also have another cage , with the divider out you can house them in the full length of it. That plus some out of cage time gives you some happy plets. It comes with a stand and you can stack more units on top. Best made cage, I wish I’d bought this kind a long time ago.

4AD5D7C0-9D9C-4D9E-958C-4FB602853B67.jpeg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I recommend a flight cage. These little birds will use 100% of it. They are fairly active and should have room to adventure.

I have each parrotlet in something like this. I did get rid of the dowel perches.

I do hate the black colour, it was the only colour I could find for the size I needed. Though in the US you may have many more options with something similar but a better colour. Mine is a bit bigger than this sample, but same idea.

Last edited:

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I'd second the recommendation for Prevue. I have one of theirs--I think it's called Park Plaza or something like that? I've been very happy with it.

Reactions: Ali

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd second the recommendation for Prevue. I have one of theirs--I think it's called Park Plaza or something like that? I've been very happy with it.
Hmm...that cage model looks taller than it is wide, which is generally a tough shape for birds to make the most of.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Found it! This is the cage I use. I have 2 one for each parrotlet. They use all of it. Little warriors :)

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Hmm...that cage model looks taller than it is wide, which is generally a tough shape for birds to make the most of.
That's what I've heard, for sure, but I didn't know that when I bought it and it hasn't been a problem with Micah. He's very active and goes all over the cage. I do make sure to have perches and toys in all parts, so that probably helps. Not saying at all that this will be what happens with all birds. But while I'm very pleased with my cage, I meant to recommend the brand more than this particular model. Sorry if that didn't come across.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
To be clear, I'd recommend them because the cage is sturdy, well made, easy to clean, and easy to take apart and put back together, which I've had to do several times. I'd expect those qualities to apply to their cages regardless of size/shape.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To be clear, I'd recommend them because the cage is sturdy, well made, easy to clean, and easy to take apart and put back together, which I've had to do several times. I'd expect those qualities to apply to their cages regardless of size/shape.
The thing that steers me away from the Prevue brand is that they tend to use the dangerous guillotine style doors on their flight cages (can directly kill a bird or let them out where they will encounter hazards). The one you shared does not have those, thankfully!