• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet training

tulumba

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Hello everyone! I am new here! And will also be a new parrotlet owner by the end of the weekend! I am so very excited as I have been looking into this for about a year. I wish I had come across this forum earlier!!

The little guy is not tame and has been parent raised from what I have been told and I'm looking for tips to settle him in please.

I have read all sorts online but I want to ask people rather than read random snippets online

Any parrotlet owners here?

Thank you!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:hello1: :greet13:
Welcome!
So exciting,!

tulumba

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Thank you. I'm super excited. I love love all birds. So we did a lot of research into who would be a best fit with our family. He is yellow marbled and will be called tulumba. Unless we feel something else fits him when be arrives!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
:wow:! Congratulations on your new birb-buddy! I’ve been reading “Clicker Training for Birds”. I can recommend it if you’re looking for a good guide. It’s a Karen Pryor training course.
:welave:

Last edited:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Here are two books you might find helpful. Congratulations on your new family member. Parrotlets are adorable.

Attachments

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Check out Flock-Talk [click the name]! Their account has really helped me, they talk about parrot autonomy too which I love.

tulumba

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Thank you all! Sorry about the delay in replying. Not sure where everyone is. I'm based in the UK

tulumba

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Do you all have a light for your little ones for the night. I have been reading about night terror but getting mixed ideas. And do you cover the cage at night?

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I do cover my birbs cages at night. I think covering them mimics the safety of foliage and not being preyed upon unsuspecting.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations!!!
Can't see the picture tho!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yay!! Congrats!!

tulumba

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Ah won't let me post properly. He's beautiful though. Yellow witha flash of blue and silver and green tail

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
What a cutie :excited1:
Congratulations!

tulumba

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Hi all! So he seems to have settled in well. He went out of the cage for the first time today and got a bit stuck. But after a bit he let me stroke him and pick him up and move him. Then later carry him to his cage.

I think that's good progress for 5 days!

tulumba

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Letting me touch him. He lt me carry him to his cage after this. He was quite tired though. Let me stroke him for a bit too. I think we are making progress

Attachments