• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parrotlet symptoms

Ozzi24

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a 3 year old parrotlet and yesterday I noticed his poop was a clear liquid. Today I had him out and he pooped again, and it was pure liquid. Then I put him on me about 2 minutes later and he pooped again. This worries me for a few reasons. One, the consistency of his poop. Also the volume of his poop and how often it's happening. Another thing I noticed is that his beak is half orange, like he dipped it into some diluted paint. The only thing I can think of that could have caused that is an orange coloured mineral block on the side of his cage. He's had this for quite a while and this has never happened. I'm worried about him and was wondering if there was something to do in the meantime or if anyone recognizes these symptoms and knows what they mean. Thanks!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you called your vet

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Was he bathing before the wet droppings? The orange seems like it would be from the block.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How is your bird doing today?

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Just wondering about those orange mineral blocks. I'm thinking of the lady whose parakeets had orange on them from a mineral block and one misteriously died. I mention it because that was just a few days ago. I don't mean to be scary but I would want to check it out. Does anyone else out there use these orange blocks with no problems ? I can't help but think about the tainted pet food made in China a few years ago. Only other thing,was your bird eating some new watery fruit or vege ? Hopefully he's ok .

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@Donna turner I was thinking about that too. I have always heard that mineral blocks are unnecessary if your bird eats a good diet with pellets, seeds, and fresh foods.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Watery poop is normal on occasion such as after they've bathed or eaten a lot of fruit or other juicy food.
I would tend to wonder if your parrotlet just had a nice bath and swallowed some water when preening, water on the mineral block would also tend to make it bleed the food dye.

If it were my bird, I'd try not giving him any fruit or fruit juice for a few hours, just some dry foods and plain water, and see how his droppings look. If they quickly go back to normal, then it's probably nothing, if they continue to be watery, then take him to the vet (and of course if he acts sick at all, that's a good reason to see the vet as well).