• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet suddenly starting to regurgitate?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hi! So I have a DNA tested female p'let who's a few months over 3 years old. But starting 2 weeks ago, every few days she would squeak at me to make me look at her, and then regurgitate for herself! It would never leave her mouth or anything, and she would just eat it back up. Nothing, and I mean actually nothing at all, has changed in her life recently. (except for a new toy which she actually likes). She has never regurgitated before, and she just randomly started doing this. She's eating and acting normally, and nothing is different with her behaviour except for this. So is this normal? Is it ok? She went to the vet recently, an the vet said that she was 100% healthy....Please let me what you guys think about this!! Thank you and have a great day! :)
*She does look me in the eye every time she does this, and she asks me to look at her every time before she does it. Is she just suddenly in love with me or what? :roflmao:

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I’m no expert but I thing she wants to feed you from a distant lol

Hope others will come to give a more correct answer. Some thing I may be looking forward to my 1 yr old girl lol

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It probably started because of spring. Try and give her a few new activities to keep her mind off nesting. I would also remove anything she might consider a nest to help. With hens it is important to curb her as much as possible.

Little parrotlets are under immense stress when they lay eggs, if I were you I would make sure you provide vitamins via water to help support her. You dont want her to lay, but if she does she needs to be in tip top health to prevent more serious problems like egg binding.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Little parrotlets are under immense stress when they lay eggs, if I were you I would make sure you provide vitamins via water to help support her. You dont want her to lay, but if she does she needs to be in tip top health to prevent more serious problems like egg binding.
I don't want to derail this thread by any means but do you know by which age they may try and start laying?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I don't want to derail this thread by any means but do you know by which age they may try and start laying?
They can at 3 for sure. Maturity is a little different for each bird, but as early as 10 months isn't uncommon.

Gigibirds

Oh thank you so much for these answers! Yeah, I guess it was probably just spring. I don't let her have any nesting toys, but maybe I should make sure that she is covered a bit more.... What kind of vitamins would you recommend? She's on a healthy diet and everything, but I want to help her as much as possible :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What kind of vitamins would you recommend? She's on a healthy diet and everything, but I want to help her as much as possible :)
It sounds like you are doing great by her :)

For vitamins, I am not sure of your location or products in your area. I would call your vet and get their recommendation. I say this because with a healthy diet vitamin supplements aren't always needed, but vitamin D, A and calcium are problems in pet birds. Your vet will know which vitamin best compliments what you are already offering. :)

Gigibirds

I live in the USA, so I can get pretty much anything I need here. :) I feed her some egg and eggshells as a treat and for calcium, but she refuses any calcium block/mineral block/cuttlefish thingimajigit so I pitched those. But she is going to the vet again soon (the vet forgot to do/check something) so I'll ask her about that. Thank you!