• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet occasionally fainting?

Mikubumble

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Eden
Hey there guys,

So I've become aware of my parrotlet (smaller bird in my profile photo) fainting every now and then. This doesn't happen often, maybe once or twice every couple of months..

I think this may be because he holds in his poop as he likes to keep his cage clean, considering as everytime he faints, he poops. I'm just worried as he falls from quite a height (cage is almost 2 metres high), and although he doesn't show any signs of damage after, it can still be a worry.

When he faints he shakes a little and slowly closes his eyes, I think out of fright, before slowly making his way up to the side of the cage and crawling up to his bed again.

He doesn't like coming out as he is skittish and nervous of people unlike my conure, so maybe this is why he holds in his poop a lot - leading to him fainting.

My conure has never showed signs of this and has never fallen sick. She has always been a healthy and lively bird, and the two are housed together, so I don't think it is any toxins in the air.

Just wondering if anyone else owns a parrot with this sort of issue? I never called up a vet because he is completely fine and to his normal self less than a minute after fainting.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm going to move this thread to Healthy Highway so you hopefully get some more responses :)

The little guy in your profile photo is a lineolated parakeet, I think! (aka linnie)

Lineoloated Parakeet:
1574558594813.png

Parrotlet:
1574558726377.png

If you believe that it is from holding in his poop, can he be let out more often to prevent any issues?

I also would take him into the vet regardless to ensure he is actually healthy inside. Birds are masters at hiding illnesses, so those moments of weakness could be hints at something happening that you can't see. Diet can also cause issues like this - calcium deficiency as an example can show up as loss of grip.

Last edited:

Mikubumble

Real Name
Eden
I'm going to move this thread to Healthy Highway so you hopefully get some more responses :)

The little guy in your profile photo is a lineolated parakeet, I think! (aka linnie)

Lineoloated Parakeet:
View attachment 320639

Parrotlet:
View attachment 320640

If you believe that it is from holding in his poop, can he be let out more often to prevent any issues?

I also would take him into the vet regardless to ensure he is actually healthy inside. Birds are masters at hiding illnesses, so those moments of weakness could be hints at something happening that you can't see. Diet can also cause issues like this - calcium deficiency as an example can show up as loss of grip.
Oh, yeah! They look a little similar so I got confused.

And hmm, I suppose I should. Their cage is open most of the time, but it seems that he'd rather sleep. The times I do encourage him out, he always follows his conure friend and hides under pillows, so he doesn't really let himself get much wing exercise either.

Either way, I'll take him out more often and report back soon if he still faints. If he does, I'll call up the vet and arrange an appointment. Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, yeah! They look a little similar so I got confused.

And hmm, I suppose I should. Their cage is open most of the time, but it seems that he'd rather sleep. The times I do encourage him out, he always follows his conure friend and hides under pillows, so he doesn't really let himself get much wing exercise either.

Either way, I'll take him out more often and report back soon if he still faints. If he does, I'll call up the vet and arrange an appointment. Thank you!
How much of the day is he spending sleeping? Besides a mid-day nap, most birds shouldn't be snoozing a lot of the day. That to me with the falling would have me at the vet.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry your Linnie is not feeling well. A few things you mention lead me to believe it's time for a vet visit. I don't think this is happening because he's holding poop. I believe the pooping is an involuntary release after the episode. The reason for the episode/fall could be several things and a vet visit is needed. If you need help finding a vet we can assisit.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I believe the pooping is an involuntary release after the episode. The reason for the episode/fall could be several things and a vet visit is needed. If you need help finding a vet we can assisit.
That's a really good point!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What you are describing is not normal for a bird in captivity. Please take this bird to an avian vet. If you do not have one ask other people who they see for bird health. If you have to drive a distance that drive the distances. I hope you bird gets well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds to me as if your baby has a health issue going on. I can't dioagnose him over the internet, but here are a few things it could be - heart disease, atherosclerosis, calcium deficiency, vitamin deficiency, neural problem or injury. There are a multitude of issues that could be causing these symptoms.

How old is your bird? What is his diet?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds do not faint Eden. There is something wrong that needs proper investigation and diagnosis. The sooner the better.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That sounds like he's having seizures imo
Most likely it is seizures, but she needs to find out if there is a cause that can be treated.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yeah, absolutely. I thought it was implied that vet care would be important for something that serious but I appreciate you making it clear for everyone. :)

Mikubumble

Real Name
Eden
Birds do not faint Eden. There is something wrong that needs proper investigation and diagnosis. The sooner the better.
Ah, well I described it as fainting as that's what it seemed like to me. I'll consult a vet soon as right now I'm busy with some personal appointments and as I said this is only occasional (not that I'm normalising his behaviour).
But yes, the sooner the better, so as soon as my schedule is free I'll take him to get checked up.

Mikubumble

Real Name
Eden
Sounds to me as if your baby has a health issue going on. I can't dioagnose him over the internet, but here are a few things it could be - heart disease, atherosclerosis, calcium deficiency, vitamin deficiency, neural problem or injury. There are a multitude of issues that could be causing these symptoms.

How old is your bird? What is his diet?
Thank you for the list, I'll research them myself so I can mention them to the vet!

We were told he was a year when we got him, but I think he is a little older. His diet consists of apples, carrots, greens and a mixed range of seeds.

I read that parrots don't need pellets if all their vitamins, minerals and nutritions are balanced out in the veg, fruit and seed given to them. Is that true?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you for the list, I'll research them myself so I can mention them to the vet!

We were told he was a year when we got him, but I think he is a little older. His diet consists of apples, carrots, greens and a mixed range of seeds.

I read that parrots don't need pellets if all their vitamins, minerals and nutritions are balanced out in the veg, fruit and seed given to them. Is that true?
Correct, but some nutrients are hard or impossible to get from vegetables and fruits. Vitamin D3 for instance, they need in order to absorb calcium, and this can really only been received from the sun (not through a window), multivitamins or pellets.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks @Mizzely. I was just going to call you about the little bird's diet.
Get him to the vet as soon as you can. These things don't resolve themselves and can get worse quickly.