• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Parrotlet Mutation Identification?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t think she’s a fallow either, but I’m no expert. I’ll see if I can find a good pic of my dilute turquoise girl.
As far as red eyes, some birds will have them as babies and then they turn dark (again, I’m no parrotlet expert - this is other species). To have true red eyes, both parents would need to have red eyes.

NO MATTER WHAT-- ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!
Agree!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm not sure how reputable this breeder is (I am not versed in known p'let breeders) but they have what they say is a "Dilute Turquoise Fallow" on this page that looks similar https://www.xtreemparrotlets.com/dilute-turquoise-parrotlets/
I just read in a forum this week that this breeder is known to invent their own color names and then call them “rare.”
I need to learn all this! Silly to have 6 p’lets and not know genetics.
D4E898F8-77C1-4BC8-AB08-E3BCC9C00779.jpeg 8503EB06-CA14-4869-8DE0-725F86F0F359.jpeg

Last edited:

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I just read in a forum this week that this breeder is known to invent their own color names and then call them “rare.”
That’s quite horrible to be inventing names for the sake of “rare”. I do agree on learning as well, I spent most of my time googling trying to find out myself lol.
Maybe we can create a thread for different parrotlet type and correct names!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What a cutie!

Yeah the photos didn't show the fallow! No worries :) She still looks lovely :)

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
I don’t think she’s a fallow either, but I’m no expert. I’ll see if I can find a good pic of my dilute turquoise girl.
As far as red eyes, some birds will have them as babies and then they turn dark (again, I’m no parrotlet expert - this is other species). To have true red eyes, both parents would need to have red eyes.
I wasn't definite on if she's fallow, it was just a guess for the golden girlie.
As for the red eyes, both girls are over a year old, so I would think their eyes would have shifted color if they were going to already, but I am also no parrotlet expert. I did have some when I did breeding, but nothing more than a few clutches and only blue and greens. No cool mutations.
Is it just a myth that it's not safe to breed two ino eyed p'lets??

Oh no! That's an awful thing to do. I'm glad I didn't think to take their names 100% seriously. I think it's their wording that really threw me off and labeling their birds as "xtreeeeemly rare."
Your baby is so precious! Definitely more of a solid color than Poet here, but they have similar faces! She's gorgeous!

You could always give photos to the store and ask them to ask the breeder?
That's a good idea. I might do that once she's home and I can get more photos of her. She comes home from the shop here in a few days!

What a cutie!

Yeah the photos didn't show the fallow! No worries :) She still looks lovely :)
Thank you so much!! I'm not overly concerned on finding her color, I'm just super curious and learning genetics is really interesting to me. I've learned a lot about canine genetics and horse genetics, and now I'm learning more about birds again. Using my girls as a starting point for my curiosity. I used to know a lot more about them but when it came to color-breeding I was more of a cockatiel breeder in that area. My other birds were all less deep-dive into color genetic mutations.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not sure in parrotlets, but I know that in cockatiels, you don't want to breed two red eyed birds together... more specifically, two Ino's. Ino and fallow might be okay though.

Breeding ino to ino could increase the chances of getting birds with sparse feathering so it's best to breed an ino to a good normal or perhaps whiteface, a bird with good feather coverage, then breed the offspring to a bird split Ino or a normal. So if you get female Inos, breed to a male split Ino. If you have males split ino, then breed to a normal. Going this route ensures a better feather coverage for for the Ino birds.

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
I'm not sure in parrotlets, but I know that in cockatiels, you don't want to breed two red eyed birds together... more specifically, two Ino's. Ino and fallow might be okay though.

Breeding ino to ino could increase the chances of getting birds with sparse feathering so it's best to breed an ino to a good normal or perhaps whiteface, a bird with good feather coverage, then breed the offspring to a bird split Ino or a normal. So if you get female Inos, breed to a male split Ino. If you have males split ino, then breed to a normal. Going this route ensures a better feather coverage for for the Ino birds.
That's what I had thought, which is why the mention of needing two red-eyed parents to have true red eyed/ino babies was confusing to me.

I don't plan to breed either of my girls either way!
Thank you for the detailed explanation Monica!

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Maybe American Turquoise Pied like someone mentioned before?
I did! and yes she looks so similar to the picture, which is why I would of guess that because of how vibrant her yellow is on her head.

All in all she is one beautiful baby!

Pps. we need more pictures of her sister/cagemate, even thought is not really recommended that they be housed to gather due to some danger it could pose later on in there life

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
I did! and yes she looks so similar to the picture, which is why I would of guess that because of how vibrant her yellow is on her head.

All in all she is one beautiful baby!

Pps. we need more pictures of her sister/cagemate, even thought is not really recommended that they be housed to gather due to some danger it could pose later on in there life
Thank you!!

As for my other girl, I am aware of the risk, and I have set up a pretty good sized cage for them to help with that. I also have room and a plan for a separate cage should it come to that. For now the pair has been housed together for a significant amount of time and I'll be sure to monitor them as they get older. I personally have successfully co-caged two plets in the past (non breeding and breeding pairs), however I do know that all birds are different.
I'll be sure to get more photos of them both once they are home tomorrow and over the weekend <3