• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Parrotlet Mutation Identification?

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
Hello!
I am new around here so I do apologize if I am in the wrong place.

When I was younger, I raised all types of birds including raising and breeding parrotlets, however I only ever bred standard wild-type green and blues.

Several years have passed and I am getting back into owning birds, and I got a pair of female plets, as I have no intention to breed. They were already housed together when I got them.
Due to my lack of experience with plet mutations, I wanted to ask and see if anyone could help me identify one of my girl's color!

Her companion is a blue fallow, and I know this girl is a green based, and she has red ino eyes in person, but I can't place my finger on if she's fallow, or some other neat mutation. She is a year old. Her flights aren't blue either so unless her color obscures her color, I am assuming she's female.

I have attached the photos I have of her currently; she isn't home quite yet but will be on Saturday.

Thank you!!

Attachments

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
Dilute turquoise, I believe.
That was one of my guesses, but forgive me if this is an obvious question, would that be one of the genes that is possible with ino? She has dark red eyes in person.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
What a pretty color, I agree with the turquoise plied, I also googled and she could be an American turquoise pied as well. it mentions the yellow head which your baby girl has.
Heres the link that I found, its interesting as far as pacific mutations

Attachments

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
What a pretty color, I agree with the turquoise plied, I also googled and she could be an American turquoise pied as well. it mentions the yellow head which your baby girl has.
Heres the link that I found, its interesting as far as pacific mutations

Thank you!

I looked at that page but she almost seems to have too much blue and yellow to be american turquoise - maybe the pied would change that? Maybe American Turquoise Marbled? She does have what appears to be desaturated points on her wings.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
It is a possibility because they are very similar, Although since she has the red eyes I would assume (*Im no expert) she could be a mis of both depending on her parents
@finchly what are your thoughts?

Turquoise Pied
A turquoise bird with both white and yellow spots. Since turquoise is both green and blue it has both white and yellow spots depending on where the spots sit on the bird. Turquoise Pieds will ALWAYS have the green forehead, and if the pied marking is over the forehead it will be yellow.

American Turquoise
American Turquoise is a very pale shade of turquoise often combined with a very pale shade of yellow with lime green or yellow foreheads. Some are even almost pure white with yellow foreheads and a few yellow feathers. The American gene makes the base color (turquoise in this case) a lighter shade.

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
NO MATTER WHAT-- ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!
Thank you so much Pat!

It is a possibility because they are very similar, Although since she has the red eyes I would assume (*Im no expert) she could be a mis of both depending on her parents
@finchly what are your thoughts?

Turquoise Pied
A turquoise bird with both white and yellow spots. Since turquoise is both green and blue it has both white and yellow spots depending on where the spots sit on the bird. Turquoise Pieds will ALWAYS have the green forehead, and if the pied marking is over the forehead it will be yellow.

American Turquoise
American Turquoise is a very pale shade of turquoise often combined with a very pale shade of yellow with lime green or yellow foreheads. Some are even almost pure white with yellow foreheads and a few yellow feathers. The American gene makes the base color (turquoise in this case) a lighter shade.
It could be possible! Maybe she's just a cool combo of genes or a split?
American Turquoise Pied Fallow?
I'm not sure how reputable this breeder is (I am not versed in known p'let breeders) but they have what they say is a "Dilute Turquoise Fallow" on this page that looks similar https://www.xtreemparrotlets.com/dilute-turquoise-parrotlets/

I'll have to check closer on Saturday when she comes home to double check if her eyes are truly red or if they are just a lighter color that reflect red in certain light.
I wish I knew what her parents were but I got my girls through a local family run shop here local, and they work with local reputable breeders (they bring in the babies very young and hand feed and raise them) but I don't have the contact for the breeder himself.

Last edited:

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I believe we found a winner, She must be a diluted turquoise fallow. she looks exactly like the picture they have with the caption of it. what I do know is turquoise pellets are mainly green head wit greenish blue bodies, my sister inlay has one.

Attachments

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
I believe we found a winner, She must be a diluted turquoise fallow. she looks exactly like the picture they have with the caption of it. what I do know is turquoise pellets are mainly green head wit greenish blue bodies, my sister inlay has one.
That's what I thought regarding the turquoise but genetics can be weird!
I appreciate the help you guys!!

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Oh my god! looks like a sky with delicious cream :joyful: absolutely beautiful and cute!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would guess a turquoise fallow marbled myself.

Is it not possible to ask the store for the breeder's information to try and determine her colors?

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
I would guess a turquoise fallow marbled myself.

Is it not possible to ask the store for the breeder's information to try and determine her colors?
I would ask, and I still might, but considering they are a small shop that is family run, and they make money from selling the birds they purchase from the breeder to hand-raise and sell, they likely would want to keep the information private.
Ya'know to prevent me going around them in the future and getting birds direct from the breeder.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey there,

I've got nothing helpful to put into this discussion. I just wanted to awe over your feathered baby. SSSSOOOO STINKING BEAUTIFUL! Like she fell out of a sunny sky!

:excited1:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I second contacting the store or breeder it removes the guessing :) I don't think she is fallow.

Lovely little bird. She looks sturdy and healthy, which at the end of the day is all that matters. I am looking forward to knowing more about her.

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
I second contacting the store or breeder it removes the guessing :) I don't think she is fallow.

Lovely little bird. She looks sturdy and healthy, which at the end of the day is all that matters. I am looking forward to knowing more about her.
Yes of course. Like I mentioned in my top post, asking is purely out of my own curiosity and I dont have any intention of breeding her.
When I did ask the shop owner if she was fallow because of her Ino eyes (photos don't show it well ), he said yes, however I was just curious for other opinions ^^
Either way I appreciate it, and thank you!

My other girl is from the same breeder and she is indeed fallow as well. Just a blue.

Attachments