• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet keeps scratching his face

Blue2020

Moving in
Real Name
David Boore
Hi all, I’ve had my baby parrotlet for a few days now (he’s only 4 months old) I’ve noticed that he has been doing this with his feathers as well and from yesterday he’s squinting with his right eye, do you think he could of scratched it?

Blue2020

Moving in
Real Name
David Boore
Hi all, I’ve had my baby parrotlet for 3 days now (he’s only 5 months old) yesterday I noticed that he’s rubbing his face and feathers and I’m guessing he could be moulting/or cleaning but since yesterday he’s squinting his right eye, do you think he may have scratched it?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Blue2020 Can you post a photo of your little one? It is hard to say if it is something to worry about or not from the description. Yes birds do rub their heads and feathers on perches or toys to relax or scratch; however if you bird can't open his eye that is worrying. A photo will help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue David 1.welcome signs.gif

I have moved your posts here into this thread created for you for better visibility ;)

Blue2020

Moving in
Real Name
David Boore
That’s pretty much as much as he opens it when he’s active but when he’s resting it’s fully closed so I’m thinking it’s painful for him to have it open maybe??

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Blue2020
It could be some sort of infection.
It is recommended to have a vet check up when bringing home a new bird, so I would bring that forward and get the vet to take a look at the eye (and save you from doing two trips). He might need some medicine.

Blue2020

Moving in
Real Name
David Boore
Ok great thank you I will find and call a good vet first thing in the morning! Good thing is he is still eating, drinking and chirping away so it can’t be causing him any pain

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree a vet check is in order. It isn't normal and may require a prescription that a only a vet should help you with.

It is great that he is still eating and drinking, that is very important. However I caution that you don't assume he isn't in pain. Parrots are prey animals and they hide pain and discomfort as much as they can. If they look sickly they are targets for predators, so they can hide things very well from well meaning humans who love them dearly.

Keep him comfortable and get him to a vet asap.

GamingBeas

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all, I’ve had my baby parrotlet for 3 days now (he’s only 5 months old) yesterday I noticed that he’s rubbing his face and feathers and I’m guessing he could be moulting/or cleaning but since yesterday he’s squinting his right eye, do you think he may have scratched it?
Yeah it is completely normal. My Cockatiel does that too, it seems like he scratches his feathers and it's completely normal

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Blue2020

Moving in
Real Name
David Boore
I agree, it definitely isn’t normal compared to the other eye. When I look closely I think I can see a hair poking in there that could be causing it. He’s not too tame yet and only just getting used to his home. I wish I could get him out and wipe his eye for him, or he would go and wash it in his drinking water