• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Parrotlet ill after laying eggs, thoughts on probiotics? Please help!

PinkCanary

Moving in
My 6 yo Baby has been puffy with a bobbing tail for 11 days now. I thought she was sick at first with a bacterial infection, but then noticed she was laying eggs for the first time. She laid 3 eggs total on day 2, 4, 6- some that looked a bit deformed which fell to the bottom of her cage. She also started plucking feathers on her chest until she's bald and it feels a bit swollen. I was worried laying eggs was depleting her nutrients so I changed her cage around, added new toys, in hopes to trigger her body to stop producing more eggs. She vomited up her food for 2 days after that, so I think I may have just stressed her out, or she has a bacterial infection. She stopped laying eggs for 5 days now and so she might be fighting an infection? Or is egg binding? I don't know... she feels weak in my hands and is also having diarrhea (goopy poop, lots of white, some light green parts, no solids)

I have called every avian vet within a 50-mile radius from me. None are able to see us until much later, and this is an emergency. I ended up taking her to a regular vet 2 days ago out of pure desperation. She felt her abdomen and said she doesn't feel any protruding, but that the egg could be hiding higher up and she is unable to feel there... we did a fecal test and she sent us home with Baytril antibiotics for 14 days, an anti-inflammatory, and a calcium supplement. I'm on Day 2 of antibiotics and haven't seen any signs of her getting better. She sleeps all day and stays as puffy as a ball. It seems she's still eating because she likes to drop her Zupreem pellets in her water bowl. She puked her food again the day after the vet visit and I think a little bit today.

The vet was supposed to call me back with results from the fecal test, but I haven't heard back yet.

What do you think is wrong with my Baby? Have you had this experience before? Since she is taking antibiotics, should I supplement her with probiotics? When do I start probiotics, if so? Now, or after the antibiotic course? Which probiotic do you recommend?
I have been looking into a few-- there is a fizzy tab you put in their drinking water that they sell at Petco: Alive and Well™ for Birds | Kordon it also contains electrolytes and vitamins...
I was also looking into these:
https://equaholistics.com/products/avianprobiotics
and the Bene-Bac Gel

Do you have any you recommend that is good for parrotlets? They are extremely tiny.

I also saw this and impulse purchased: https://www.amazon.com/Thrive-Sick-Bird-Formula-Ounce/dp/B012UQTJL2
It's not a probiotic but it said 'for sick birds'...

I don't want to overload my bird with vitamins/electrolytes so I need some sort of direction to go with from you avian experts!! Any advice is appreciated. :( I know I'm asking a lot of questions here, I'm just worried.

This is her today:

Attachments

PinkCanary

Moving in
Update: so I received a response back from the vet, the fecal test was normal. I'm not sure what's wrong with her then.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am so sorry your bird is sick. This most likely not related to egg laying but anything is possible.

My vet always recommends that I give the benebac gel after the antibiotics are done to build back up the good bacteria.

All the questions that you have are good questions to ask the vet over the phone. Also you should ask what to do next since she is not improving the vet would have the best idea? Did your vet offer any advice or suggest any test or treatment that you declined or were unable to get done?

PinkCanary

Moving in
I am so sorry your bird is sick. This most likely not related to egg laying but anything is possible.

My vet always recommends that I give the benebac gel after the antibiotics are done to build back up the good bacteria.

All the questions that you have are good questions to ask the vet over the phone. Also you should ask what to do next since she is not improving the vet would have the best idea? Did your vet offer any advice or suggest any test or treatment that you declined or were unable to get done?
Thank you for responding.
Yes, I am waiting for her to call me back to ask her further questions. She had sent me the results over email and did not clarify if I should keep giving her the antibiotics or other medications. She did suggest other tests, such as an X-ray but told me some chilling information about how it's done and that my bird would need to be anesthetized and how my bird can die in the process. I would prefer finding a certified avian vet if I need to get an X-ray for her. I will most likely have to just monitor her closely on my own until an avian vet is available..

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thank you for responding.
Yes, I am waiting for her to call me back to ask her further questions. She had sent me the results over email and did not clarify if I should keep giving her the antibiotics or other medications. She did suggest other tests, such as an X-ray but told me some chilling information about how it's done and that my bird would need to be anesthetized and how my bird can die in the process. I would prefer finding a certified avian vet if I need to get an X-ray for her. I will most likely have to just monitor her closely on my own until an avian vet is available..
It is difficult with little birds. I would not stop the antibiotic until the vet says to do so because it can take a while for an infection to clear up.

There are 84 board certified avian vets in the United States (if that is where you are). Here is a list Member Search Results - Association of Avian Veterinarians

If you can not find a board certified vet then any experience avian vet is better then none. I do mean experienced not just some one who occasionally sees birds. You could even ask around here for a recommendation.

I live in a large city and I do find the board certified vet very helpful in complicated situation but there are other helpful avian vets in my area who are often more available. So you probably have some options.

Please keep looking for a vet who can see you. It is the weekend so you will probably lose a few more days. Your bird is very sick. You may be able to help her by keeping her in a warm area as well. Sometimes antibiotics and some supplemental heat can really help. Make sure she keeps eating, drinking and pooping.

Healthy birds do not look at all sick before or during egg laying, they may be broody but they should not be lethargic or fluffed. Because this started before the eggs I tend to think it was not an egg problem. For an already sick bird, I do imagine that egg laying would be stressful and could wear them down. She laid the eggs on the proper schedule for a parrotlet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Antibiotics cancel out probiotics so they’re a bit useless until the medication is done.

PinkCanary

Moving in
It is difficult with little birds. I would not stop the antibiotic until the vet says to do so because it can take a while for an infection to clear up.

There are 84 board certified avian vets in the United States (if that is where you are). Here is a list Member Search Results - Association of Avian Veterinarians

If you can not find a board certified vet then any experience avian vet is better then none. I do mean experienced not just some one who occasionally sees birds. You could even ask around here for a recommendation.

I live in a large city and I do find the board certified vet very helpful in complicated situation but there are other helpful avian vets in my area who are often more available. So you probably have some options.

Please keep looking for a vet who can see you. It is the weekend so you will probably lose a few more days. Your bird is very sick. You may be able to help her by keeping her in a warm area as well. Sometimes antibiotics and some supplemental heat can really help. Make sure she keeps eating, drinking and pooping.

Healthy birds do not look at all sick before or during egg laying, they may be broody but they should not be lethargic or fluffed. Because this started before the eggs I tend to think it was not an egg problem. For an already sick bird, I do imagine that egg laying would be stressful and could wear them down. She laid the eggs on the proper schedule for a parrotlet.
I actually posted on a bird Reddit forum for help before I found this site and was linked that the Avian Vet site. I called every single clinic within 50 miles and none are available any time soon, which is why I tried the only vet that was available the next day. I don't think they see birds frequently though, so I was super worried lol.

Thank you for the amazing advice and information. I ordered a ceramic heating lamp for her earlier today. I also asked the vet about probiotics, she said I could give them to her and that her clinic sold YoungAgain Immune and Digestive Support. I looked into it and it says it's chicken flavored and for all animals... I don't know about this one. Plus, her pellets are fruit-flavored so I don't think those 2 flavors would go together.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Benebac that is designed for birds would be better.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You can give the benebac during the antibiotic treatment if it makes you feel better but as was mentioned, it won't help the bird until the antibiotics are done. It will not hurt here either. I'd try an make an appointment if you can with an avian vet too. I hope your little ones feels much better soon.

PinkCanary

Moving in
You can give the benebac during the antibiotic treatment if it makes you feel better but as was mentioned, it won't help the bird until the antibiotics are done. It will not hurt here either. I'd try an make an appointment if you can with an avian vet too. I hope your little ones feels much better soon.
I was thinking of getting Benebac too but wasn't sure if my bird would prefer the powder one or gel version. She's pretty sick of syringes at this point. Thank you, I will keep trying to find an avian vet available.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I was thinking of getting Benebac too but wasn't sure if my bird would prefer the powder one or gel version. She's pretty sick of syringes at this point. Thank you, I will keep trying to find an avian vet available.
I know it is touch especially with the shut downs right now. Hopefully she will get to feeling better soon. Where you able to set her up with a heat source for extra warmth? I think I saw that you got a heat lamp, make sure it has not teflon in it. Some of them do. The ceramic heat emitters are good but very hot.