• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet help

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hello everyone,

I have a celestial parrotlet pair, one of which as seemed to have lost feathers over recent weeks on its back neck, leaving a bit of a bold patch. Does anyone know what this could be. I will try to get a picture later.

They have been going in and out of the nest box recently and the male has been making the breeding calls as well, so I don't know if this helps at all.

Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Ali, Try removing the nest box. Maybe the hen is plucking him?
A nest box can be quite stressful for some birds, if there are no eggs, best remove it.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Ok thank you...

I was wondering if they were using it as nesting material, as they never seem to do anything with what I put in!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It would probably be more likely to be abusive or stressed behaviour than nesting material. Parrotlets do not use their feathers for nesting material.

You may also need a larger cage or separate cages, if it is abuse. Another important consideration is health. Mites, parasites or dietary problems can be related to feather loss.

Parrotlets can also self-mutilate when highly stressed, social or emotional stress.

Edit:: considering the picture provided does show feather damage at the back of the head, I am assuming it is abuse.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It looks to me like it's mate is plucking it. He can not get to the area himself so if it is plucking then it is the mate doing it.

Reactions: tka

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
View attachment 336016

Sorry about the terrible image quality!

Ali
Could one be pecking the other. I looked at a parrotlet in a bird store one time .. and asked why he had that spot and she said “ oh another parrotlet was pecking at him “ . Needless to say I never bought a parrotlet from them. Could they be fighting ? Just a suggestion. Or ... the starting of molt ??

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hello, I am a bit worried, as it seems to have got worse. What should I do?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It is a female.

Just a few moments ago, they were mating.

Last edited:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If the mating was succsessful, when may I start ti see eggs?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It seems it may have been sucessful, she spent a lot if time in the nest box since. When will the first eggs start to appear if they did succeed?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
For the record a hen can lay an egg without a male and without being mated.

Please consider the stress your birds are under if they are hurting each other and fighting. Feather pulling is not a healthy relationship.

Don't expect, "to let nature play its course," now that you imagine she is carrying or may lay an egg. The relationship you have set up isn't natural. They are pet birds, and didn't get choice in their situation. You should separate the abuse. They can still be in the same room and talk to each other, but they need some of their own space. You can replace laid eggs with dummy eggs.

Put yourself in their shoes.. would you want to stay in a room with someone ripping your hair out. Someone potentially raping you..