• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet food

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Hermesbird

BirdLady13 is referring to this article. (below) :) I personally don't feed much pellet at all to my parrots, but I think everyone should do what works for them and what they can provide. To be honest we don't have nearly the verity of pellets in Australia as you do State side- so natural foods are a good option for me.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I fed Streak Safflower Gold, Roudybush mini pellets and a ton of fresh and cooked foods. From broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrot, apple, Suger peas, rice, pasta noodles cooked. A tiny bit of roasted chicken, no skin or fat. And other veggies that I could get at times. But the pellets are the staple.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
@Hermesbird

BirdLady13 is referring to this article. (below) :) I personally don't feed much pellet at all to my parrots, but I think everyone should do what works for them and what they can provide. To be honest we don't have nearly the verity of pellets in Australia as you do State side- so natural foods are a good option for me.

That’s was a very interesting article to read! Thank you for sharing. Very sad that they have shut down.
I wonder when referring to mutations they mean the blues yellows et Centra.
I’m lucky my blue girl will at least try anything I give her lol

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I wonder when referring to mutations they mean the blues yellows et Centra.
That is correct. Mutations are basically anything outside of their wide colouration. Now that doesn't mean one can't sometimes see mutations in wild populations, but it is uncommon. In captivity they are selectively bred to present mutations.

You do right by your little blueberry! No doubt, I was simply posting for interest since you asked. :)

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
You do right by your little blueberry! No doubt, I was simply posting for interest since you asked. :)
Thank you! I do try to. And learning more is always better than not learning at all! Feel free to tag me in any other articles in the future :)

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
As far as I’m aware pellets can cause liver and kidney issues in parrotlets, so I give mine ZuPreem Smart Selects for small birds in addition to fruits and veggies.
Yes I have heard that as well. I like to give my bird all natural foods.

JFK

Moving in
Real Name
Justin
I had the same question. Came across this: 70AE5B40-723E-4BEA-ACD1-5461E61AD090.jpeg

Last edited:

ingjas99

Checking out the neighborhood
Simple... just buy your own gluten free seeds and grains and mix them all up in a big bag...

Flax seed, hempseed, safflower seed... sunflower seed... and others.. gluten free grains as well...
along with fruits and veggies..

parrots do not eat gluten naturally... only sick humans fill everything with their gluten poison.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
parrots do not eat gluten naturally... only sick humans fill everything with their gluten poison.
I think you are confusing things. Gluten is a protein. Wheat is a critical grain for human society. You don't need to feed it to your parrot, but let us not confuse things. There are people who are intolerant or allergic to gluten. This isn't the same thing as a poison.

ingjas99

Checking out the neighborhood
Gluten is the protein in Wheat... it is not a critical grain for society.... it's poison.. do your research and you'll see what modern wheat has become.. poison....

A new strain of wheat was developed in 1969 that when tested years later was found to have as much as 10 times the amount of gluten than the preceding strain of wheat that was grown for centuries. The only country that didn't accept this new strain of wheat developed in 1969 was Italy. That's why food in Europe is so much more healthy than the poison being fed to you in the United States

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Simple... just buy your own gluten free seeds and grains and mix them all up in a big bag
If feeding our birds was as easy as buying a bunch of seeds and mixing them in random amounts— there’d be no need for all the research done on avian nutrition!

This isn’t a healthy way of approaching their diet. “Don’t try this at home.”