• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet food

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
I have had birds all my life and my recent parakeet died recently at age 10. I am purchasing a parrotlet this weekend and I want to keep him healthy and live a long life. What food should I be giving? Thank You!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Are you looking for pellet or seed recommendations? Of course sprouts and fresh foods are a must.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I give my girl Nutriberrys, and Zupreem natural pellets (parakeet size). She also gets fresh chop.

there may have better seeds recommendations so I will be here watching to learn what else may be good!

@finchly @fashionfobie

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
When it comes to seed mixes I like Volkman. They are always clean and fresh.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t give mine seed specifically. He gets Goldenfeast Australian blend, which has some seed, and Roudybush pellet.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I just want to let you know, my birds were much healthier when they switched to pellets :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is critical to feed lots of fresh foods with parrotlets, especially veggies. You cannot only feed seed or your bird could develop serious health risks. Veggies and sprouts and a tiny amount of fruit. There is a section on the forum on the wide range of healthy veggies you can offer :) and information on how to prepare sprouts.

When you offer seed it shouldn't have any sunflower or safflower. I use a quality budgie mix for my parrotlets but check the contents in the bag, idk your local brands.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
It is critical to feed lots of fresh foods with parrotlets, especially veggies. You cannot only feed seed or your bird could develop serious health risks. Veggies and sprouts and a tiny amount of fruit. There is a section on the forum on the wide range of healthy veggies you can offer :) and information on how to prepare sprouts.

When you offer seed it shouldn't have any sunflower or safflower. I use a quality budgie mix for my parrotlets but check the contents in the bag, idk your local brands.
Yes thank you for all the info! Im aware that I need to give lots of veggies to be healthy. I just cant find a natural good seed food without sunflower seeds. My breeder said to give cockatiel food. But mostly all contain sunflower seeds that I found.

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
I also would like to request pictures of your new baby! Pretty please @lex1500
Thank you for your info! which kind of nutriberries do you get? Also I am getting him sunday :) will post pictures then! I was also thinking about making fresh chop as well included in his diet.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Thank you for your info! which kind of nutriberries do you get? Also I am getting him sunday :) will post pictures then! I was also thinking about making fresh chop as well included in his diet.
Regular nutriberrys small size, typically you want to offer a varied diet. I always keep a dish of pellets available at all times and replace my nurtriberrhs every day. Plus giving chop mid day.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I also like Higgins safflower. It is another clean seed

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
As far as I’m aware pellets can cause liver and kidney issues in parrotlets, so I give mine ZuPreem Smart Selects for small birds in addition to fruits and veggies.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
As far as I’m aware pellets can cause liver and kidney issues in parrotlets, so I give mine ZuPreem Smart Selects for small birds in addition to fruits and veggies.
That’s interesting. I haven’t heard that. On the talkparrotlet website obvious feed balanced varied diet, but pellets are kind of a stable to consist of a good 30% of diet. I maybe wrong so I do apologize if so. But I’m still learning myself

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Where did you get this information from? I'm just wondering, because I want to check it out and learn more