• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Parrotlet Fainted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
Hi, Vicky--so glad Avenger is better today--is he related (siblings?) to the one that recently died? If not, are they both from the same breeder? This problem occurring w/2 birds sounds like there might have been careless breeding in their past. This is happening more & more w/littles. I wish you the best of luck w/Avenger, & his health. You obviously love your parrots very much. :hug8:
No, I've had Avenger for a few months before we got our other little one. My boyfriend decided against having a necropsy done, despite me trying to convince him otherwise. So I'll never know if it was something contagious or not. Avenger appears healthy other than his episode so I don't think it's illness, but only a blood test would really tell us anything. If he shows any sign of illness, anything at all, I will be sure to take him in again and have them run tests.

What causes seizures in birds? He's never come into contact with dangerous metals, unless there are some in his toys. I've been meaning to replace everything in there anyway so I think I'll take out any toys with metal and replace them with something else, just in case.

And good news, no more air fresheners! Though now I'm afraid to wear perfume, even to work.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Some of the more common causes include central nervous system diseases such as a brain tumor or infection, head trauma, hyperthermia, liver disease, metabolic disturbances (hypocalcemia, hyperglycemia) and toxicity from lead, zinc, aflatoxins and certain insecticides.

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
Some of the more common causes include central nervous system diseases such as a brain tumor or infection, head trauma, hyperthermia, liver disease, metabolic disturbances (hypocalcemia, hyperglycemia) and toxicity from lead, zinc, aflatoxins and certain insecticides.
:( I hope it wasn't any of those. I really do.

He seems to nap a bit more than usual, but I may just be thinking that because I'm worried.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I would have blood tested...they can see if any organ levels are raised, too low, etc. They can also check for any nutritional deficiencies, which when severe enough can cause issues. They can also check for metabolic issues.

Had he eaten before the seizure?

Status
Not open for further replies.