• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parrotlet Calcium Deficiency or infection?

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Hi! My parrotlet is 9 years old male and he was healthy until last Monday....
I found he had wing twitching at night, and signs of feet-tapping ( every 10 or 20 seconds when he take a rest or sleep). Also after he fly, even with a very short distance, he breaths pretty rapid and heavy but breathing issues usually gone in 30 seconds.

He was getting better later last week and I took him to the vet on Friday. The vet did a physical check and said he seems healthy. But he also told me to know more he needs to do more specific tests which may cause more damage. He prescribed some antibiotics for his breathing issues and asked me to keep eyes on him.

My bird was getting better during the weekend, however, I noticed all the symptoms came back. Wing twitching, feet-tapping, breathing issue after fly, and excessive sleep in the afternoon. His symptoms is actually a little bit like Calcium deficiency based on google, and I am not sure if this can be one possible cause of his recent weakness?

His diet is 70% pellet, 30% fresh fruits and vegetables. Sunshine might not be enough ( So I moved his cage to where he can get more sun exposure now). I am not change his diet to more fresh fruits and vegetables and I am also adding nutrient supplements. I will try to set another vet visit this week but I am really worried about this little guy

Just a little bit other review of symptoms: maybe 1 sneeze every 2-3 hours; poop is OK (more watery but he eats many juicy food today); no running nose; no open mouth breathing; good appetite

Please give me some suggestions! thank you so much for any help!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I think doing some tests may be the best way forward. Without a proper diagnosis it’s just guessing what to treat and that leaves me a little uneasy, especially when birds are so good at hiding so much.

If it’s any comfort, I picked up my parrotlet as a rescue in pretty awful/fragile shape, went straight to the vet where she had x-rays on newly shattered legs, full blood panels, and a crop and vent swab. She had no ill effects from any of her tests and I really needed to know the results to know which meds she needed.

Last edited:

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
I think doing some tests may be the best way forward. Without a proper diagnosis it’s just guessing what to treat and that leaves me a little uneasy, especially when birds are so good at hiding so much.

If it’s any comfort, I picked up my parrotlet as a rescue in pretty awful/fragile shape, went straight to the vet where she had x-rays on newly shattered legs, full blood panels, and a crop and vent swab. She had no ill effects from any of her tests and I really needed to know the results to know which meds she needed.
thank you so much. I will call the vet again tomorrow to figure out a plan. And thank you for sharing the story!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did your vet prescribe vitamins? What pellets does your bird eat?

I think it’s best to keep in touch with your vet till the issue has resolved or been identified.

The breathing sounds fine to me- maybe I missed something but it sounds like a normal amount of time to recover after flying.

I’m wondering if you can link some footage of what you see that is concerning.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
His symptoms is actually a little bit like Calcium deficiency based on google, and I am not sure if this can be one possible cause of his recent weakness?
His diet is 70% pellet
Not likely to be calcium or D3 deficiency if the pellets are a mainline fortified brand.
Please ignore any advice on Google and trust your vet.

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Did your vet prescribe vitamins? What pellets does your bird eat?

I think it’s best to keep in touch with your vet till the issue has resolved or been identified.

The breathing sounds fine to me- maybe I missed something but it sounds like a normal amount of time to recover after flying.

I’m wondering if you can link some footage of what you see that is concerning.

2022年2月14日
Here is a short footage. His breathing is little harder than before, excessive sleepiness, and little bit foot-taping (which he never do, and become worse at night)
The pellet ZuPreem avian maintenance fruit blend

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Not likely to be calcium or D3 deficiency if the pellets are a mainline fortified brand.
Please ignore any advice on Google and trust your vet.
thank you for the advice. I am not sure if pellet as a main diet will be good or bad? He was one pellet main diet for 9 years, and always do fine until last week

I will check with my vet again to see if he needs any more tests.

This is the very first time he looks sick

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
2022年2月14日
Here is a short footage. His breathing is little harder than before, excessive sleepiness, and little bit foot-taping (which he never do, and become worse at night)
The pellet ZuPreem avian maintenance fruit blend
I don't see foot-tapping. I see a bird whose feet are relaxing and throwing him off balance. Birds feet work opposite to human hands. They have to use muscles to open their toes, and when they relax the feet close. This enables them to relax and sleep on perches. On a flat surface as the bird relaxes it's feet will try to close throwing them off balance. The breathing doesn't look too bad either, considering what I've already mentioned and the fact they have air sacs in their abdomen. Just breathing is causing this motion.
I'd like to see a video of him sleeping properly on a perch.
And let the vet do the tests, even if that's only to put your own mind at ease.

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
I don't see foot-tapping. I see a bird whose feet are relaxing and throwing him off balance. Birds feet work opposite to human hands. They have to use muscles to open their toes, and when they relax the feet close. This enables them to relax and sleep on perches. On a flat surface as the bird relaxes it's feet will try to close throwing them off balance. The breathing doesn't look too bad either, considering what I've already mentioned and the fact they have air sacs in their abdomen. Just breathing is causing this motion.
I'd like to see a video of him sleeping properly on a perch.
And let the vet do the tests, even if that's only to put your own mind at ease.
My bird seems more energized today?
Vet called me today and told me if the antibiotics not working, he might give me a different one or take a blood test.

He actually sleeps like a healthy bird today! However, the breathing issue still present and I just hope the antibiotics will work. He is been on that medicine for 3 days.

And thank you for the comments!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
thank you so much for the check

My bird didn't make it. He died the day before a second vet check, which was to draw some blood.

Between the first and second (wasn't happen) I called the vet several times and he was also confused about the symptoms which is pretty atypical.

My bird died in my hand, I was with him until he passed so he was not alone.

Thanks again for all the help!