• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet broken toe

Peterz78

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Peter
Hello,

I noticed that my parrotlet toe was injured, it looks like that the female parrotlet bites his toe.

I took him to vet but he said it will improve in 2 weeks.

Been two weeks and i see no improvement, he is in pain and i need to know from people experience and get some advices.

I will put some photos...

IMG_20210324_105732.jpg

IMG_20210325_102901_1.jpg

IMG_20210325_102916.jpg

IMG_20210313_133012.jpg

He can't catch with his fingers with the right leg...
Doesn't look it's healing by itself...i don't know what to do.

I see he left his leg and he's still in pain.

Thanks for helping

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Was the vet who saw your bird an avian vet or a regular vet?

were X-rays taken to check for damage to the bone?

Its impossible to tell from pictures what’s going on internally unfortunately. At this point, especially if he’s showing signs of being in pain, your bird likely needs further treatment, potentially antibiotics, anti inflammatory meds, pain control meds, etc.

I have a parrotlet with two very damaged legs who had the bones broken and they were never treated by the previous owner. She did eventually heal, but she has permanent damage, so the quicker your little one sees an avian vet the better.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Assuming it was an avian vet I’m surprised they didn’t prescribe medication for pain relief and/or an anti-inflammatory. Definitely follow-up with the vet that examined him.

Peterz78

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Peter
Was the vet who saw your bird an avian vet or a regular vet?

were X-rays taken to check for damage to the bone?

Its impossible to tell from pictures what’s going on internally unfortunately. At this point, especially if he’s showing signs of being in pain, your bird likely needs further treatment, potentially antibiotics, anti inflammatory meds, pain control meds, etc.

I have a parrotlet with two very damaged legs who had the bones broken and they were never treated by the previous owner. She did eventually heal, but she has permanent damage, so the quicker your little one sees an avian vet the better.
Thanks for replying,
I think normal vet...and no x-rays was taken, been more than 20 days and he still the same...no improvement...i will take him to vet next week, but can he still help him? Or the injury started to heal the wrong way already? The nail is going upward.... what can the vet do now?

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Thanks for replying,
I think normal vet...and no x-rays was taken, been more than 20 days and he still the same...no improvement...i will take him to vet next week, but can he still help him? Or the injury started to heal the wrong way already? The nail is going upward.... what can the vet do now?
Getting him seen by an avian vet is your best bet. The sooner you search for an exotic pet vet near you the better.