• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet - best cage size

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
Spruce Pets (and some other sites) say a cage for parrotlets (even a single bird) should be 24 x 24 x 24. That seems pretty big. Has anyone gone a bit smaller and had a happy bird?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The amount of space that a bird can move around in is reduced as you add perches, toys, foraging opportunities and so on. Having a nice big cage means that you have much more scope to create an interesting layout for an active, curious bird.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrotlets should be able to fly a little bit in their cage. Fluttering from place to place is very healthy for them and it will help keep them happy and busy.

I agree with advice give go bigger than 24".. 30 or even 36" is great! It can be a touch narrower in the short dimension, but the length is great for flight.

:fly2:

BirdWorld

I say bigger is better. Get the biggest cage you can afford and have space for. The only problem with giant cages such as macaw cages for little birds is the bar spacing, which should be less than an inch.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I say bigger is better. Get the biggest cage you can afford and have space for. The only problem with giant cages such as macaw cages for little birds is the bar spacing, which should be less than an inch.
I totally agree with the biggest you can afford and have space for bit, but did you mean half an inch? An inch bar spacing is way too big for a parrotlet.

BirdWorld

I totally agree with the biggest you can afford and have space for bit, but did you mean half an inch? An inch bar spacing is way too big for a parrotlet.
Oops, yes that’s what I meant. Thanks for correcting me :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My bar spacing is 1.2cm and I was too lazy to convert! :p

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Whatever size you get, it will use every inch of it!
I do have one in a 30x18x18, but his door is always open so he can patrol, looking for marauders, intruders, and trouble.