• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet bathing

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:jillone::congratualtions:

Singing in the Rain! Great shower song. My Buddy Doesn't mind the humming or Bla bla, Lala's for missing words. He likes a bunch of "re-worded somgs " too.

Yes, water's good for her feathers too (helps condition them somehow). Plus, she'll smell better too. Maybe a little wet dog smell til you get her on a svhedule. I read a mist every day which is great for summer we do every few days in the winter.

If she'll let you... You can try...

Gently lifting her wings when you spray, & get a little water under them too. We started this with my guy cause he'd hurt you if you touched anywhere other than his neck/head area. This was done by 2 of us over & over @ different times (but always calm) low stress times. Using just the phrase just checking. He seems to know now that it's a quick painless thing. Necessary to be sure he's ok.

Just a thought. So happy to hear she's liking that water.

Good job!

:hug1: Rain

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I used to put a shallow glass pie dish/plate in the kitchen sink for my Quaker. As I was warming up the water she would slowly climb down my arm then go about making the biggest mess she could...
Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink... :laughing7:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:doublelol::laughing7::glowlol:

Buddy likes the SS dog dish boat ride & getting zoomed all over the bath tub. Then I ladle water over him w/ these plastic handled kids feeding dishes. He really doesn't have to do much.

Now if I put the bath off too long... He's head dunking in the cage water dish :bathtime: making that mess everywhere in my living room!

:scrubfloors2: :sorrow: & he thinks...

Hey Ma! You need to put on your :biggirl:

:laughing12: cause I did nothing wrong! :angel5:

:pinklol2:

:gbh: Rain

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
I'm hoping regular spraying will help with her pin feathers, she only lets me scritch them a bit before offering to bite me. She has a tent in her cage now, so she can get away from spraying when she has had enough, but she tolerates a fair bit now. Thanks for the tips, and all your humour too!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Chirps only dunks his head in COLD drinking water as soon as it's put in. He definitely doesn't like misting! It's the only time he tries to hide in the corner.

Of course, Chirps' been here just under a month, but he's not a baby although he looks like one. The one before liked a shallow dish for bathing. Also, he was fascinated by budgies. JoJo and Tommy are budgies that bathe weekly and preen each other. Hmmm

Chirps will be moving into the birdroom. Maybe he'll see the conures bathing several times daily and follow suit. Sherman bathes more now that she's moved in.

I'll try a fluffy boa and see how Chirps reacts.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Gribouille

:lol::hehe::rofl:

The visual on my end is gonna make me bust a gut.

:eeeek::scared1: I've had enough she says jumping into the tent...

I'll hide here behind this:peek1: maybe they won't see me.

:scared4: They keep looking in the door & see me ! :scared3:

:pinklol2:

:gbh: Rain

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I'll hide here behind this:peek1: maybe they won't see me.

:scared4: They keep looking in the door & see me ! :scared3:

Sounds like Chirps! Wait until he moves into the birdroom this afternoon and gets to compete with the Conure Gang. dun Dun DUn DUN

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like Chirps! Wait until he moves into the birdroom this afternoon and gets to compete with the Conure Gang. dun Dun DUn DUN
P'lets aren't afraid of anything!! :rpg8::rpg6:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
The other birds don't know what to make of him! The birdroom wasn't this quiet when Sherman moved in. Every cage but his is closed and, as expected, he won't even try to come out.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Every cage but his is closed and, as expected, he won't even try to come out.
Lucky you... Mine has so much to say about the budgies' cage... :yapyap: He can be quite annoying, minding everyone's business :blahblah: all the time :watching:

PS: Sorry, I couldn't find a smiley with a hyperactive p'let squealing like crazy to tell others what to do... :sour:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Streak was Da Boss here and had all the 'Tiels toeing the line...me too. :whip: The problem is they are SO brave that they will go after bird birds and it sometimes ends badly.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Considering this is Chirps' first time in the birdroom and he's the smallest one here, this is more than I expected!

It's after dinnertime. Oh noooo! I hope no other bird decides he'd be a tasty snack. Haha

Mine lives with 2 budgies
Does he share a cage with them? I've never had parrotlet and budgies at the same time.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I put a plexiglass sheet over Sherman's cage to protect conure feet. I think I'll do the same on the conure cages, too. Only the conure cages are opened at the same time.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
In my house, Glenn is the bully and in his own room. So I actually had plans on Chirps being the boss of the birdroom. If you ask me, a parrotlet is an YNA that never got big! HAHA

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
In my house, Glenn is the bully and in his own room. So I actually had plans on Chirps being the boss of the birdroom. If you ask me, a parrotlet is an YNA that never got big! HAHA
No YNA are just overgrown Parrotlets is all.:toofunny:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Does he share a cage with them? I've never had parrotlet and budgies at the same time.
No!!! Twitter would certainly kill them.. Both have been attacked and wounded by him :grumpy:
Merlin because he was stupid enough to think they were friends and he could therefore visit Twitter's cage. The door was small, he didn't come out fast enough, got a hole on his finger and was dripping so much blood I thought the whole foot was gone!!
Nova because she is still a baby, and although she has learned to be careful of Twitter she still thinks she can land despite his warnings that she is not welcome. Today Twitter jumped at her and somehow caught her foot under his so she couldn't fly away, he bit her leg. There is a little wound there now, luckily for her I was just under the perch and chased them away before he could bite too hard. Little scoundrel! :angry101:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
No!!! Twitter would certainly kill them.. Both have been attacked and wounded by him
:shocking:I didn't see how! All I could imagine was you had a magic, voodoo secret. :fortune:

I just told someone, Chirps looks tiny but he's 4 years old and already thinks he's :fired: the Boss of the Birdroom! :rant::shake: