• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet bathing

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
My young Parrotlet Delilah doesn't seem interested in bathing, except to wash her face in her water bowl... I tried to introduce her to bathing in the sink with a half inch of tepid water but she got frightened... How did you introduce your Parrotlet to bathing? What's a good bathtub? Water temperature? Any advice appreciated.

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
I use this one:

Amazon.com : Lixit Corporation BLX0787 Quick Lock Bird Bath : Pet Baths : Pet Supplies

I fill it for them a few times per week about halfway and they tend to prefer really cold water. Sometimes they use it and sometimes not. Some p'lets are better than others about bathing. If she's pretty good about letting you hold her, you could also do a quick run under the faucet. I will run it on low with warm water and just give them a rinse sometimes..especially if it's really hot weather or they molting.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I cup a hand under a gently running faucet and let Chico crawl down my arm to the water if he’s in the mood for a bath.

He’s got a bath in his cage as well, but I’ve never seen him use it. I think he prefers the sound of moving water. None of my birds like having their feet too wet, but they occasionally bathe directly in the sink (without the drain plug engaged) in the splash zone of the running water.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
I've tried a bowl, she sat happily on the edge and when I dipped my fingers in the water she watched, but she didn't like droplets of water dripped on her... didnt investigate the water. The sound of running water seems to upset her, if I turn on the tap while she is on my arm she climbs away from the water... maybe it's something she has to get used to gradually...?

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
My Mali (albino p’let) isn’t fond of baths as well. He might be worse that yours because I’ve never even seen him doing face dips lol...
Not sure if Joseph (American white p’let) will have th same attitude or not, he’s just weaned and learn how to fly I just let him chill for a while.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My Twitter doesn't like baths either and I have to take him under the faucet, which he hates. He occasionaly takes a short splashing bath in the budgie's water cup (never his own...) but it is not often enough.
Recently I started putting him in a little home-made travel cage I use for the budgie (who is not tame and always showered that way). There is a perch inside where he can stand while I spray them carefully on the back and belly. He hated it the first time and tried to escape but then he seemed to understand it was OK and last time we tried it he just stood there with his eyes closed as I sang to him, seemingly enjoying it.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe I don't know the right bath song?
it might be it you see... And not only that!! You'd have to sing it in French on a modulated soprano pitch... :xflove::roflmao:

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
One day my dad came back home soaking wet because it was raining outside. Mali quickly flew to snuggle in his wet hair and greatly enjoyed the beath.. I wonder if there’s any sponge that has a hairy texture...

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
One day my dad came back home soaking wet because it was raining outside. Mali quickly flew to snuggle in his wet hair and greatly enjoyed the beath.. I wonder if there’s any sponge that has a hairy texture...
:rofl: I will have a look at what I find!

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
I'm starting to wish I had long hair... We have a customer at the pet store I work at who has a Parrotlet hiding in her hair every time she comes in!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm starting to wish I had long hair... We have a customer at the pet store I work at who has a Parrotlet hiding in her hair every time she comes in!
What?? :wideyed: People are really risking going around with a bird outside their house?? I'd be so afraid that the bird would fly away!! :jawdrop1:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
What?? :wideyed: People are really risking going around with a bird outside their house?? I'd be so afraid that the bird would fly away!! :jawdrop1:
Sooner or later he likely will. :(

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Or she clipped the wings... :shifty:
Waste of time with a parrotlet, I use to say about Streak "You could cut his wings OFF and duct tape him to a bowling ball and he'd still fly by flapping his eyebrows". All clipping did was take his ability to turn quickly away He'd just fly straight into the wall. And yeah he could be nippy at time but I miss the little guy and always will.

Me Bite.jpg

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Curtis wasn't super into baths, he had a nice shallow dish and about once every 2 weeks he would decide he wanted to splash around a bit. He would only ever get his face and belly wet, he hated getting misted or dripped on. He did enjoy snuggling into my hair when I was freshly out of a bath, and I hear some people use stuff like wet lettuce leaves, sprouts or wet wheat grass and let their little guys roll around and sorta "bathe" in that stuff. As far as I know though, parrotlets commonly aren't into getting wet, both of mine hated it most of the time and ran away from the sink or whatnot and unless they get super messy or are having a bad molt, they're probably be fine going without.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiya!

How about Ernies, rubber ducky song?

I have a Zon & he hated water when I inherited him. I think when I got him, I may have gotten a not knowing better young punishment for his yelling. (Spray gun) Anyway just yelling spraying in the air & making a ton of crazy noise & sing worked. He loves bath days, now. In tub or spray misting. A combination. I have seen a ton of cupped hand videos w/ smaller fids. Someone on here suggested a glass pie pan shallow filled. I didn't have one so we tried a mini version of a 9" x 1 3" pyrex pan. He just prefers the bathtub now, on a large steel dog bowl as a boat getting his bath from me. With a quartly yrly. dip in his cage bowl, that one he does for himself.

Maybe the smaller shallow methods will work for you... But you gotta, gotta find a song :dance5::dance4:

:bluhug: Rain

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Free fliers in Thailand do that 50% of the time. The other 50% they just put their p’lets in a transparent hamster carrier so that they can have the full view of everything despite not being able to fly.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Bathing update... I tried gentle misting, over the cage not directly at her... She seemed to really like it, and now aheslets me spray mist her every few days now... perhaps she's a shower bird more than a bath bird? I will try the rubber ducky song, see if it helps!